Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 16:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had nothing against the visor. Isnt it funny that i get a message from a MOD to relax when i think i am in the right. Dosent really look nice you know.
Well you did say that its not as mandatory as per rule.

Well you think you are right it does not mean that you are.

Your posts do not show that you are chilled & hence I & Tejas asked you to take it easy.

Anyways lets just get back to the issue.
Old 31st October 2008, 17:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

hmm. Heated issue just for a Visor! I do agree with Spit to an extent however Tejas was just kidding so lets chuck it and move on with the original purpose!
Personally i feel smoking while driving is a No No and should be avoided as much as possible. I must admit of doing the same a couple of times but that was way way back and dont intend to repeat!

Last edited by harry10 : 31st October 2008 at 17:16.
Old 1st November 2008, 01:19   #78
BHPian

quoate:Again here you are showing the sense of your driving. Obviously it does not bother you. But it bother who is coming behind you in a bike or some one walking in a street. We all in Bangalore dont have car. Many people drive/prefer Bike rather than a car.
If you are that much eager to smoke in car you always can use your ASH tray in your car. I have also given a example what happen to my friend. I hoped that you could have under stand why you should bother.
Many personal things in life can not be done as where you like...

-- Thanks --

okay I agree with two things here,
1.yes this shows my sense of driving.
its not that i dont care about the other road users but unfortunatly i dont have time to smoke either at home (due to tight schedule) and at office since its not allowed to smoke there anymore.

2.not all are privileged enough to drive cars on daily basis or own cars however if you are riding a bike always wear helmet cause that will protect your face and head not only from the ash tapped from a smokers cars but other things as well.

by the way this reminds me of when i was in college and had a bike to commute I never liked wearing a helmet and i did learn my lesson one day when I was hit on my face by a crow. Yes a crow and that was the last time I rode with out a helmet.
your welcome.

ps:you could have saved your friends eye by asking him/her to wear a helemt.
hope i am not offending any one if i am i am extremely sorry.

tejas:Well, that's another reason to wear a helmet (ones with a visor) while riding a bike!

well i agree with you mate

yes wearing a helmet with a visor should be practised not just because of the ash issue but there are other things as well in our atmosphere that we should need protection from
including stones from rear of a truck/lorry etc
and birds how can i forget that.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st November 2008 at 10:43.
Old 1st November 2008, 11:09   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well you did say that its not as mandatory as per rule.

Well you think you are right it does not mean that you are.

Your posts do not show that you are chilled & hence I & Tejas asked you to take it easy.

Anyways lets just get back to the issue.
Well i think i am right try and tell me why you think i am not right in my above posts and i will explain further. I believe and act as per the education and knowledge i have gained and one of the first things i was ever told was to respect other people and their space.

Do not dirty your surroundings(even though i pay all my taxes ha ha ha ha, this argument really gets me in splits ha ha ha ha), cleanliness is next to godliness, never with your actions put other people in any sort of health or pollution risk all this and a lot more was taught to me in school and i work towards them.

So when an argument like i pay my taxes so a little bit of ash is ok really makes me think what the? So spitting on the roads on someones visor equipped helmet also should be fine. The spit is made of 90% water it will dry off any ways, my tax money is saved in cleaning it.

And you being a MOD are supporting Tejas on this? Comeon man. I know you will say that you are not supporting him but then you know better. I also know i will get more infractions and probably banned but think about whom you are trying to side with. Lets see this post of mine not getting deleted. If calling something which is evidently stupid is an infraction, i think this great forum is losing out.

And i still dont see you reprimanding members who balantly say that throwing ash on the road is their right but you have something to say to me. Forgot being a mod as an individual each one here needs to know what is right and wrong or are you supporting the throw the ash on the road because i pay my taxes.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st November 2008 at 11:24.
Old 1st November 2008, 13:38   #80
BHPian

This thread is getting quite interesting. I remember that when the Honda Insight hybrid was first launched, they didn't have ash trays or cigarette lighter in the car. Their point of argument was that the hybrid was being launched to reduce pollution. So why counter their own purpose by providing facilities for drivers to smoke?!

In India, the non-smokers have never had any say in anything. I never used to go the pubs in Bangalore because I used to hate the smoke. Which is why I love life here in Vancouver. The laws here are made specifically to make a smoker's life as difficult as possible. Tobacco products are taxed heavily and every pub/club is non-smoking and yet, everyone seems to have fun. I don't understand why the same is not followed in India. Wishful thinking, eh? Even if any laws are introduced/implemented, our wonderful politicians will use that to gain the vote bank of the smokers!

P.S: How is the smoking ban in Bangalore coming along anyway?
Old 1st November 2008, 14:10   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Well i think i am right try and tell me why you think i am not right in my above posts and i will explain further. I believe and act as per the education and knowledge i have gained and one of the first things i was ever told was to respect other people and their space.

Do not dirty your surroundings(even though i pay all my taxes ha ha ha ha, this argument really gets me in splits ha ha ha ha), cleanliness is next to godliness, never with your actions put other people in any sort of health or pollution risk all this and a lot more was taught to me in school and i work towards them.

So when an argument like i pay my taxes so a little bit of ash is ok really makes me think what the? So spitting on the roads on someones visor equipped helmet also should be fine. The spit is made of 90% water it will dry off any ways, my tax money is saved in cleaning it.

And you being a MOD are supporting Tejas on this? Comeon man. I know you will say that you are not supporting him but then you know better. I also know i will get more infractions and probably banned but think about whom you are trying to side with. Lets see this post of mine not getting deleted. If calling something which is evidently stupid is an infraction, i think this great forum is losing out.

And i still dont see you reprimanding members who balantly say that throwing ash on the road is their right but you have something to say to me. Forgot being a mod as an individual each one here needs to know what is right and wrong or are you supporting the throw the ash on the road because i pay my taxes.
My god spitfire! You are really spitting fire. Learn to handle a joke. Anyways, seeing you getting so worked up, i will not post anything anymore in this thread (even if provoked) or otherwise.

P.S. if you are so hell bent on saving the environment, sell your jeep and start riding a cycle. To add another quote to the one you mentioned "cleanliness is next to godliness"; remember speaking politely, being calm and not outright rude is also near to godliness. Having a foul mouth and a clean environment is just hypocrisy.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 1st November 2008 at 14:20.
Old 1st November 2008, 17:32   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
P.S: How is the smoking ban in Bangalore coming along anyway?
Like any other ban in India, the educated are the first ones to break it. You can smoke on the road is twisted and altered to their own sense. Today in the local newspaper we had a picture of how highly educated smoking folks working in big MNC's are spoiling a lane by throwing cigratte butts and plastic cups and making it a very disgusting and smelly area. Irony is they will still stand there and smoke.

So well you do see the daily labourer hiding behind trees and smoking his beedi trying to be as inconspicuous as possible but we still have the educated public trying to act smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My god spitfire! You are really spitting fire. Learn to handle a joke. Anyways, seeing you getting so worked up, i will not post anything anymore in this thread (even if provoked) or otherwise.

P.S. if you are so hell bent on saving the environment, sell your jeep and start riding a cycle. To add another quote to the one you mentioned "cleanliness is next to godliness"; remember speaking politely, being calm and not outright rude is also near to godliness. Having a foul mouth and a clean environment is just hypocrisy.
I didnt think it was a joke. So there.

I got one Classic and one Bolero. I keep my Jeeps in the best of health. I myself got a spot of oil cleaned in the office parking all by myself. Its within the pollution norms set by the government. And i see to it that its within the permissible levels. I still know it pollutes and as soon as i have an alternative i will surely go for it. Are you in any way justifying the throwing of ash on the road to me using an IC engine so we are equal? If you are i am lost on that.

Also for the past 2 months i walk to office 4 days out of 5.

About being foul mouthed - when a person cracks a joke on someone's near physical diasbility i dont think me or even you or anyone for that matter can be nice to that person. Tomorrow it may be anyone of us who might have to go through a life altering phase just because a smoker thought he can dirty the roads but not his car. Hypocrisy you tell me?

PS: Spitfire is one word, not spit and fire. Unless you are one of the mythological dragons or rakhshas or flame throwers. Spitfire is a WWII fighter pilot belonging to the Royal Air Force (RAF). Here check this link to know more - Supermarine Spitfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PSS: Tejas try and give up smoking. It really can get messy later on in life.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st November 2008 at 17:36.
Old 1st November 2008, 19:04   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And you being a MOD are supporting Tejas on this? Comeon man.
Please read my post carefully if you can. I said there was nothing wrong in the comment where he said that wearing an helmet would have helped I did not in any post support smoking in public places &\or throwing ash on road out of car.

I hope this clears

I would still say voice your opinion in a better way like others are doing, I hope that's not too much to ask.
Old 1st November 2008, 20:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
its not that i dont care about the other road users but unfortunatly i dont have time to smoke either at home (due to tight schedule) and at office since its not allowed to smoke there anymore.
Dude that still doesnt make sense. Since you are not allowed to smoke in office, it means you should be having more time now, because you cant go on smoke breaks. This should give you enough time to stop your car on the way, and have a smoke. So.... i dont get this time thing.

And asking people to wear helmet with visor so that ash doesnt fall into their eyes is like saying, "Hey, am gonna be walking around swinging a baseball bat wildly, so y'all better wear full protective gear." Now you might say this is ridiculous, but the analogy is there for you to see. I thought a moderator would be able to see this. If you ask someone to keep cool, you should also ask the other person to not joke about someone nearly losing an eye.

Actually, you know what? there is no point in talking about this. Using logic to argue with a smoker is pointless because they have been using arguments like "personal choice" to justify their addiction.
Old 1st November 2008, 22:45   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Please read my post carefully if you can. I said there was nothing wrong in the comment where he said that wearing an helmet would have helped I did not in any post support smoking in public places &\or throwing ash on road out of car.

I hope this clears

I would still say voice your opinion in a better way like others are doing, I hope that's not too much to ask.
Well i did read your post 3 to 4 times. You did ask me to relax but never related to why i took the so called aggressive posture? Just to refresh - because of a very sad and really stupid inhuman joke. Imagine the person who had to go through that ordeal reading that "joke".

We talk about showing respect to less gifted people then us but when someone thinks its not the right way to go about with a joke he is asked to relax. duh?

And about your last line, believe me i am working on it. I am quite a restrained person otherwise. But when someone irks you by saying its just a joke and justfies something like throwing ash on the roads becasue he/she payes TAXES?? How subtle can anyone get?

@Technocrat: Dude there is really nothing that needs to be cleared between you and me. I am taking it in the right spirit and trying to make you understand why i said what i did. Peace.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd November 2008 at 18:12. Reason: MOD actions are not open for public discussion.
Old 1st November 2008, 23:49   #86
BHPian

Spitfire, I realize I'm not part of this little side-discussion you've got going on with Tejas and Technocrat, but I'd like to say something, if I may.

You're completely overreacting, and you need to lighten up. I can understand that you took offence at Tejas' comment about the benefits of wearing a visor, but he's repeatedly tried to tell you that he didn't mean any offence by it, he was merely pointing out the irony.
What happened to your friend was unfortunate, and that's all it was. Luckily, he didn't lose his eyesight. Going ballistic about people who smoke in their cars is counterproductive and will only result in a rise in your blood pressure.

I, personally, don't see any harm in Tejas, or any else for that matter ashing outside their car windows when driving. I smoke, and sometimes when I'm driving, I ash outside the window. I also ensure that I don't do it at a traffic light, and I don't do it if there's someone parked alongside me with their windows rolled down.
I also started an initiative in my company to stop using plastic coffee cups, I also hold on to empty wrappers, or other trash in my car till I find a garbage bin, I also started an initiative in my old building to plant more trees and shrubbery, I also don't drink bottled water because it's a shameful waste of plastic, I also recycle plastic, metal and glass whenever the opportunity presents itself, and I also do a lot of things that are ecologically beneficial and civic-minded.

You seem to be taking the moral high-road about cleanliness and being responsible. Well, responsibility also extends to your environment. Please take a moment and evaluate your lifestyle and habits.... how much do you do that is detrimental to your environment?

Everything in life is relative. Ashing outside your car isn't the same as say, walking out your compound and taking a dump on the street.

Peace out.
Old 2nd November 2008, 00:49   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Spitfire, I realize I'm not part of this little side-discussion you've got going on with Tejas and Technocrat, but I'd like to say something, if I may.
Oh like me everyone has an opinion and the forum is meant for that. The more get involved the better it is. The message is seen by a larger audience. Please do continue with your thoughtful comments. After reading the rest of your post i am quite pleased by the amount of initiatives you have taken to help protect our surroundings. Kudos to that.

Quote:
You're completely overreacting, and you need to lighten up. I can understand that you took offence at Tejas' comment about the benefits of wearing a visor, but he's repeatedly tried to tell you that he didn't mean any offence by it, he was merely pointing out the irony.
Well after i saw Technocrats last post here, i have started thinking that yes i may have overreacted but then it was somethings that i have witnessed when accident victims have to live a life of utter misery and have to depend upon others to live their live's just because someone didnt think twice about going down a wrong way for saving Rs2 of fuel, or someone threw a still lit cigratte butt out of his window and potentially made someone blind. The irony is lost on me. Its small acts like these which add up to the callous attitude we so despise on the streets today.

Quote:
What happened to your friend was unfortunate, and that's all it was. Luckily, he didn't lose his eyesight. Going ballistic about people who smoke in their cars is counterproductive and will only result in a rise in your blood pressure.
Well not really my friend but it was an incident narrated by another member here. If the people will smoke inside their cars with windows rolled up and use the ashtray provided inside maybe i will have normal blood pressure. Well its not happening and thats something i dont get as to why its so difficult to do that. Its quite simple try this the next time you smoke in your car - Roll windows up until they are totally shut, turn on the blower or AC, light up your cigratte and ash it in the ashtray provided in the car. No one's blood pressure is affected then.

Quote:
I, personally, don't see any harm in Tejas, or any else for that matter ashing outside their car windows when driving. I smoke, and sometimes when I'm driving, I ash outside the window. I also ensure that I don't do it at a traffic light, and I don't do it if there's someone parked alongside me with their windows rolled down.
What do you do to the ash when you are smoking at a traffic light or when someone is next to you?Or you dont smoke at all in the above situations.

Quote:
I also started an initiative in my company to stop using plastic coffee cups, I also hold on to empty wrappers, or other trash in my car till I find a garbage bin, I also started an initiative in my old building to plant more trees and shrubbery, I also don't drink bottled water because it's a shameful waste of plastic, I also recycle plastic, metal and glass whenever the opportunity presents itself, and I also do a lot of things that are ecologically beneficial and civic-minded.
Awesome initiatives. May your tribe grow. Its really something we should convince lot of people to do. Now coming to the line holding trash inside the car commendable - but then why do you stop when it comes to the cigratte ash? Why not in the ashtray? It would involve the same effort to clean as say dumping your next choclate wrapper in the dustbin. Thats all this thread is asking the smokers to do.

Quote:
You seem to be taking the moral high-road about cleanliness and being responsible. Well, responsibility also extends to your environment. Please take a moment and evaluate your lifestyle and habits.... how much do you do that is detrimental to your environment?
About my lifestyle, I have and have been working towards making it more environment friendly. My wife uses the company bus to travel to office wasting almost an hour extra everyday. From Old airport road to Manyata. This after we have an 8 month old baby at home. We use reusable cotton diapers for the baby, but when it is absolutely necessary like when travelling in public transport we use the disposable one's. I myself walk 6 kilometers everyday to office. No moral high ground dude, just plain and simple commonsense.

Quote:
Everything in life is relative. Ashing outside your car isn't the same as say, walking out your compound and taking a dump on the street.
To me it is. And i am not a smoker. Try and think from a perspective of a non smoker.

Quote:
Peace out.

Last edited by Spitfire : 2nd November 2008 at 01:00.
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Well not really my friend but it was an incident narrated by another member here. If the people will smoke inside their cars with windows rolled up and use the ashtray provided inside maybe i will have normal blood pressure. Well its not happening and thats something i dont get as to why its so difficult to do that. Its quite simple try this the next time you smoke in your car - Roll windows up until they are totally shut, turn on the blower or AC, light up your cigratte and ash it in the ashtray provided in the car. No one's blood pressure is affected then.

What do you do to the ash when you are smoking at a traffic light or when someone is next to you?Or you dont smoke at all in the above situations.

Try and think from a perspective of a non smoker.
Thanks for your post. Your answers were very lucid and civil, which is appreciated.

The reason I don't smoke with the windows rolled up and the blower/ac on is that the smell of the smoke stays in the car wayyy after the ciggie is extinguished. With the windows open, the car gets ventilated.

I realize you have a point about it being disturbing to people around me. In the years that I've been smoking (about six), a couple of times (almost always at a traffic light) someone in a vehicle alongside has asked me to put my ciggie out because the smoke was bothering them. I almost always oblige, as long as the person asking does so politely. I know its a bad habit, but I have a right to smoke. If they demand that I put my cigarette out, or they ask rudely, I will tell them in no uncertain terms to shove it.

I think the bottom line here (which is what you, Tejas, Technocrat and I all seem to agree on), is at the end of the day it's about being considerate and civil toward your fellow man.
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:32   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Good to know such a rule exists. I have seen lots of time guys in two/4 wheelers smoking and trying to pierce into the traffic with lots of sideway jerks. TO add insult to injury they try to tiff the ash of their ciggarette out of their car and not using the ashtray. Once i got the ash on my eye while driving two wheeler. When i questioned the car drriver he said simply wear a glass.
I agree with your grievance about getting cigarette ash in your face/eye while riding, but why not buy a full-face helmet with a visor? Even though I use one, I find that my face and nose/throat are still dirty and dusty at the end of a long ride. What about small stones/gravel/sand kicked up by tyres of large vehicles? With a visor, the visor gets cracked - but if the stone hits your eye instead... I have actually had this experience myself, which is why I'm suggesting. Also, around dusk (I live in Goa) we have numerous insects etc attracted to headlights and flying straight at your face; these may not put your eye out forever, but if you get a stinging smack of an insect in your eye, are you in a position to continue riding, in full control of your bike? Or are you more likely to come to a panic-stricken halt to get the insect out of your eye/face?
So would you really prefer to continue with the (presumably half-face) helmet you have, or buy a full-face?

Cheers
Ed.
Old 2nd November 2008, 19:53   #90
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for responding to this old post; but I read it now. So you were prosecuted by the Superintendent of Police himself who was patrolling the roads on a Bullet? The rubber seal on the document at least says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Yes i agree i have never come across such a good educated cop till now his name is shivaswamy
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks