Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 10:46   #1
BHPian

Do you smoke while you ride/drive ! read on

This was truly an eyeopener for me this morning while i was on my way to my office a cop comes in a bullet and stops me and asks me for the licence. in turn i just have him the bundle of documents which contained DL Rc insurance and emission. he checks everything across and tells me i am going to suspend your licence. i was like i ask him for what reason , he says smoking while driving leads to licence suspended.
after exchanging words he opens the boot of the bullet and takes out the motorcycles vehicles act book and shows me the index where it says the licence should be suspended. i was shocked to see this, i pardon my ignorance here i had not known this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you smoke while you ride/drive ! read on-smokin6.gif  

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th July 2008 at 04:26.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:51   #2
BHPian

praJEEP, smoke thy tyres. Better for your health and wealth

Two wheeler drivers are having a really bad time in Bangalore, I guess
Old 9th July 2008, 10:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Although I do not smoke, but I was not aware of this rule. Can you post the Act no, (if you remember).
Old 9th July 2008, 10:54   #4
BHPian

Apart from the act, the way I look at it is that the ash thrown out of the window from the cig sometimes gets into the eyes of the drivers who are following the vehicle from which it is thrown. Saw a couple of incidents like this. Would kindly advise anyone doing this to refrain from the same.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is eye opener. Thanks for putting it up.

However,

1)
From you description, it looks like you were riding a motorcycle.

2)
I dont think that a car driver will have license suspended if he is smoking while driving a car. Cars even have ashtrays.
I think that it applies to two wheelers only.

Can you or anyone shed light on the law that can one smoke while driving a car ?
Old 9th July 2008, 10:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
praJEEP, smoke thy tyres. Better for your health and wealth

Two wheeler drivers are having a really bad time in Bangalore, I guess
Not at all the four wheelers will face the heat soon that is what the cop told when asked him that i have never seen a four wheeler fined for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Although I do not smoke, but I was not aware of this rule. Can you post the Act no, (if you remember).
Sorry i was no were in a mood to see the act no, there was lot of burning sensation in me and i was itching my luck today morning.

Edit : @aggoswami as i read the complete paragraph it applies to all moving wheels apart from bicycles.

Last edited by praJEEP : 9th July 2008 at 11:07.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

i used to smoke while driving ( car ) but stopped after a cigarette bud once fell on my lap and burnt a hole in my new allen solly trouser :(...spent some 300 bucks to get it darned...

i appreciate the cop who stopped u, showed the rule book, charged u by the book, gave u a receipt and i presume did not settle for a bribe.. let this tribe grow
Old 9th July 2008, 11:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

i appreciate the cop who stopped u, showed the rule book, charged u by the book, gave u a receipt and i presume did not settle for a bribe.. let this tribe grow
Yes i agree i have never come across such a good educated cop till now his name is shivaswamy
Old 9th July 2008, 11:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aaggoswami : Cars even have ashtrays.
Does not mean that That ash-tray may is meant for the driver. It can be for the use of the passengers.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I dont think that a car driver will have license suspended if he is smoking while driving a car. Cars even have ashtrays.

Can you or anyone shed light on the law that can one smoke while driving a car ?
It applies to cars as well. However, one question here. Can the passengers smoke? I guess yes right? In which case, the ashtrays and lighters aren't a complete waste.
Chandigarh, where smoking is banned in all public places, does not allow even the passengers to smoke.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is eye opener. Thanks for putting it up.

However,

1)
From you description, it looks like you were riding a motorcycle.

2)

Prajeep, hope you were in your car while smoking and police stopped you. Ofcourse, it is tough to have a smoke while riding a two wheeler wearing a helmet, unless you find ways to quench your nicotine crave

Thanks for posting the incident here, it truly was a revelation for me!
Old 9th July 2008, 11:31   #12
BHPian

Good to know that there is a rule against smoking also. I've always been wondering about it. If the cops can penalise for using mobiles, why not for smoking ciggies? makes perfect sense. cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Yes i agree i have never come across such a good educated cop till now his name is shivaswamy
From the last couple of years, all the cops have been carrying the rule book & they show the relevant act / fine to be levied.

But the catch is, if you ask them all this details, there's no way you get a discount on the fine
Old 9th July 2008, 11:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
eclectix 1st : But the catch is, if you ask them all this details, there's no way you get a discount on the fine
Better watch out before asking for a discount - lest it invite VAT & service tax too !!
Old 9th July 2008, 11:41   #14
BHPian

AFAIK, Driver can be fined, If He is doing an act(eg Smoking, eating, etc) while the vehicle is in motion due to which he does not have both his hands on the steering wheel/handle bar.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Good to know that there is a rule against smoking also. I've always been wondering about it. If the cops can penalise for using mobiles, why not for smoking ciggies? makes perfect sense. cheers:
and that is why, even being a smoker, I never smoke when I am driving riding. Not only is your attention diverted, and maybe one hand engaged, peripheral vision also suffers due to the smoke. If you want it so bad, just stop to the side (find a safe out of way place, please), have a smoke and then move on.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks