Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 13:36   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BEWARE!!! Vandalism on the rise in Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

In both cases, the cars were parked out in the open, with security at hand and good light and visibility.

I have one request to all those Team-BHPians who have drivers. Please educate them not to vandalize the cars
The Figo looks real sad but you car's scratches could be corrected with some polish.

It is better to park in places with no security ; for you'll find vandals busy at more elite spots.

Anybody to wants to deliberately cause pain will not change with advice ; change happens voluntarily.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:53   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been a victim of this too.My 3 month old pulsar 180 was scratched badly on the petrol tank by some low-life when i had parked it in college parking lot.When i saw it,i felt as if someone had stabbed me with a dagger right through my heart!

Painstakingly polished the scratched part and the scratches reduced to light lines.covered up heavy scratches with the pulsar tank pad
Old 1st August 2011, 14:02   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The Figo looks real sad but you car's scratches could be corrected with some polish.

It is better to park in places with no security ; for you'll find vandals busy at more elite spots.

Anybody to wants to deliberately cause pain will not change with advice ; change happens voluntarily.
I checked with my mechanic who comes home to service my Maruti. He too said that the scratches are very deep and the entire panel (3 panels in my case) needs to be repainted.

The color of the car makes it difficult to see in a photograph. The scratches have peeled off the paint all the way to the metal.

We need to educate. Otherwise it may be a matter of time before victims start showing their rage on the roads and elsewhere.
Old 1st August 2011, 14:43   #544
BHPian

Quote:
I opened this thread because having lived in Bangalore for many years, I feel vandalism is a relatively new phenomenon (earlier, cars used to be damaged occasionally in hit-and-runs while parked and kids would paint on the cars when they collected enough dust). We must all work together to impart a better civic sense.[/i]
Vandalism - A relatively new phenomenon in Bangalore????

Wow!!! Brother... you must have been very lucky so far...Its sad but vandalism exists everywhere, even in developed countries. But if my experience in Bangalore is anything to go by, Bangalore is the HQ of vandalism in south India...This was a menace in Bangalore even 10-12 years back and continues unabated...
Old 16th February 2012, 13:10   #545
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Vandalism!

Some sadist broke the right side door glasses of my car.

Total damage 1700 bucks + 4 hrs at service center + the cost of getting film (to occur now)
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-photo-2.jpg  

Old 16th February 2012, 14:52   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Some sadist broke the right side door glasses of my car.
That's really some sadistic work! At least you are lucky that they didn't break your windscreen. I had my windscreen broken when my car was parked inside my own home in Faridabad.

I see that you live in Delhi. Can you please tell me where this happened? Living in Delhi myself, I'm concerned about which areas are prone to vandalism.
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:33   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
That's really some sadistic work! At least you are lucky that they didn't break your windscreen. I had my windscreen broken when my car was parked inside my own home in Faridabad.

I see that you live in Delhi. Can you please tell me where this happened? Living in Delhi myself, I'm concerned about which areas are prone to vandalism.
Yeah, it is. Some kids did it, construction stones lying around, guess is that they were practicing throwing. I stay in East Delhi. Doesn't matter on location, sadists all around.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:10   #548
BHPian

My Chevy Spark is always parked on the road near my building. Cars from all the 2-3 buildings on this road are parked here. When I got my pre-worshipped spark (Black colour) in may 2011 someone made some big scratches on the bonnet the next day. Looked really awful. Got my car polished thoroughly to make the scratches almost next to invisible. Now recently some made a long scratch on the right side beginning from the rear door going upto the front bumper and a long scratch on the left side driver door and front quarter panel. Also, someone stole the front logo some days before all this happened.
Then 2 days back I had taken my car to college(mithibai) and someone stole the front left wheelcap while it was parked on the road.
It feels so bad when someone does all this to your car for which you take so much pains to maintain and my mood also remains spoilt throughout the day.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 24th February 2012 at 00:12.
Old 24th February 2012, 08:36   #549
BHPian

I had my share of experiences earlier. But recently somebody has written obscene words in my cars (in big letters of course) by scratching the left side door. Rubbing or waxing did not help :(
Old 8th March 2012, 19:53   #550
BHPian

I too join the club today. My 3 month old R15 got ripped of one of her RVMs, and got a dent on her fuel tank. The lowlife who did that chipped off some paint off the tank as well. I feel so low, but these are things we can't change. I feel like beating that guy to a pulp if I ever catch hold of him. It was a spotless bike for 3 months, and today, it's all gone.

Is it possible to repair small dents on tanks, without having to cut out part of the tank and hammering it from inside? Will a Yamaha showroom be able to do that?
Old 8th March 2012, 19:59   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Is it possible to repair small dents on tanks, without having to cut out part of the tank and hammering it from inside? Will a Yamaha showroom be able to do that?
A pic of the damage would have helped gauge the damage better. Check with the Service Center if they can remove the dents without causing too much damage. If they cannot and if the dents are really an eye sore, get a new tank. If they are really negligible, let it be.
Old 13th March 2012, 16:46   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My Chevy Spark is always parked on the road near my building. Cars from all the 2-3 buildings on this road are parked here. When I got my pre-worshipped spark (Black colour) in may 2011 someone made some big scratches on the bonnet the next day. Looked really awful. Got my car polished thoroughly to make the scratches almost next to invisible. Now recently some made a long scratch on the right side beginning from the rear door going upto the front bumper and a long scratch on the left side driver door and front quarter panel. Also, someone stole the front logo some days before all this happened.
Then 2 days back I had taken my car to college(mithibai) and someone stole the front left wheelcap while it was parked on the road.
It feels so bad when someone does all this to your car for which you take so much pains to maintain and my mood also remains spoilt throughout the day.
My white swift currently has a repainted right fender after some decent denting (mind it that the color doesn't match 100%), dent on left rear fender arch with black scratch, right rear fender arch slightly bent towards inside with black scratches, rear bumper has quite a few black spots/scratches, front bumper has black scratches on both right and left side and driver side front door is bent a little inside from bottom side (about 3-4 inch long line, not an eye sore but the bend is there).

Feel good yet? No?

I wasn't behind the wheel a single time when these scratches/dents happened. Heck, no one was behind the wheel, the car was parked in each of these instances. What more? The car was parked in the office parking in all these instances. There are 2 security guards in a plot where these cars are parked but not even a single time anyone saw anything.

I don't want to post any pictures to make you feel any better because it'd break my heart to post such pics of my beauty.

How I ensure that I don't cry over it? Well, at the end of the day its a car (no matter how dear to us) and its repairable. I also tell myself that for all the time, effort and money I spend on it to keep it immaculately clean, some moron somewhere is going to screw my happiness one day or the other so I just live with it with a few precautions. I mean I don't go overboard polishing it or waxing it (though I do it every 3-4 months) and think of other good things in my life whenever I see a fresh dent/scratch.

Precautions that I take -
1. Try to not park where kids are playing, even if it means walking half a kilometer
2. If I have a passenger then I try to make the passenger sit in the car only while I do any quick chores
3. Cover my car at the end of the day when parking besides my house
4. Don't sweat too much about any surprises that I get when I come back after having parked somewhere or office as I've accepted it as part of my life
5. Think about how a luxurious version of Thar with hard top all over would be my daily car in a few years and I'd be the king of parking area and the roads!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 10:50   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
How I ensure that I don't cry over it? Well, at the end of the day its a car (no matter how dear to us) and its repairable. I also tell myself that for all the time, effort and money I spend on it to keep it immaculately clean, some moron somewhere is going to screw my happiness one day or the other so I just live with it with a few precautions. I mean I don't go overboard polishing it or waxing it (though I do it every 3-4 months) and think of other good things in my life whenever I see a fresh dent/scratch.
This is comforting. I recently had an encounter with an eunuch and that stupid scratched my car because I didn't pay him any money. I have expressed my agony in a separate discussion thread on key scratches.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tches-car.html

Today I had been to the service centre and asked the service advisor if he can do something about the deep scratches which is there on the entire body. He said that I better lodge a complaint with the police, get an FIR and claim insurance, which means he will ensure that the body is repainted because in his opinion such deep scratches cannot be concealed.

If I choose to go ahead with painting and pay by myself, the cost he quoted was Rs.5,000 per panel (i.e 2 front doors + 2 rear doors + dickey), that would come up to Rs.25,000. I somehow ignored his suggestion as it doesn't really bother me much, OMG! did I say that... it hurts!!

It only looks bad, a scar, a mark of vandalism... If I had to claim insurance, I would have had to register a complaint at the concerned jurisdiction, get an FIR, logde a claim with the insurance company, wait for the survey report and ask the service centre to paint it once approved. All of this is not so easy, and is it worth the effort? The car is just a month short of completing 2 years and I am not worried about the resale value as I have no plans of selling it any sooner.

My only worry is that at certain places the metal is exposed, the scratch is so deep that it has cut into the paint and primer. So would there be any risk of rusting, if so how can I protect this from happening and how long would it take to rust (say 5-6 years)?

Does anyone know if touch up or repaint could be done for a few thousands? Any suggestions on this would be really helpful. I am aware that some scratch removers can fill the opening, but my concern is to prevent the rust if at all it does happen.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:16   #554

Quote:
To give you a better idea, I am enclosing another picture, this time of my neighbor's car in the condition I saw it in today. My heart simply went out for them.

Attachment 586516
Oh dear! the scratches on my car is nothing compared to what I see here. How do we prevent this from happening? I'm sure we cannot get these vandals booked or something, we cannot always do things in a fit of rage, it just isn't civilized behaviour. Then do we have to live with it? Seems so... I have no answer.

The moment I saw this picture, I cursed that person whoever has done it...the words I would like to use for such brute are banned here. But frankly, I am broken! :'(
Old 15th March 2012, 10:00   #555
BHPian

Got a very bad scratch on my 4 1/2 year Aveo (a straight line from front to back on rightside, damaging both front and back side door), which happened when car was parked in our apartment basement. Looks like it happened while some kids are playing around that area.
I think, I need to repaint both the doors. Got confused now, whether to claim insurance and go ahead with repainting both the doors or just live with that?
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-dscn0542.jpg  

Most Viewed