Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:19   #706
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Car Vandalism!

My bike was vandalized twice in my society. I stay in Kapil Abhijat society, Dahanukar Colony, Kothrud Pune. I shifted here in may 2013 when my mom and bro moved back to India. Our house owner has two parking slots adjacent to each other. We usually park my mom's activa in one and my bike in the other so that someone else doesn't park there. We are yet to buy a car as Dad hasn't shifted back.

Towards the end of may i had my exams on and was about to leave for college when i came near the bike and saw both the rear indicators were pulled down and hidden behind the number plate. After the exam informed the security guards they said some kids must have had done it and they will look it into it. I visited the society office to inform them almost everyday for 3 days but never found it open. As it was the first time i let go off it. Anyway the day i found the indicators broken i replaced them. The bill was about Rs.400

On 1st September Sunday i was going out at about 10.00pm when i saw the Right RVM was pulled in front and again both the rear indicators were pulled out. I managed to put the left one back but the right one stopped working. The mirror was completely loose and it looked as if the person trying to do this was pulling it out. The next day my mom informed the owner and he told me to write him a mail informing about the mishap so that he can forward it on the society's yahoo group and give a formal complaint to the society's office. I mailed him the same day and i have been visiting the office since 2 days and as always it was closed. Hope it is open tomorrow. I showed the right indicator to the mechanic near my college and he opened it up and it looked as if someone has deliberately cut the wire. I anyway changed them today from the Yamaha SVC. I have already mentioned in the mail and the letter to the society that the next time this happens and i would be forced to involve the police. I am new here and don't know anyone in the society. I am afraid they would damage the projectors. The house owner has been cooperative in all this anyway how do i avoid this happening in future? help
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:44   #707
BHPian

I think you should try and be friendly with the security guards.Give em a couple of bucks for "chai" and whatnot.Its what do if there's a parking area that I frequent.Hope this helps.
Old 3rd September 2013, 23:00   #708
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I think you should try and be friendly with the security guards.Give em a couple of bucks for "chai" and whatnot.Its what do if there's a parking area that I frequent.Hope this helps.
I would have has done that but they are too lazy to even get up from their places once on duty. My parking is on the back side so until and unless they are on round they can not keep a watch on it. I have never found them on any rounds. Anyway once I am done informing the society will meet the guy who sits near my building and try the chai pani wala method. Btw can any bike security systems help?
Old 4th September 2013, 07:38   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Btw can any bike security systems help?
Feel sorry for what you have been going through. Society complaints mostly are useless, I hope this is not the case with you.

My friend had installed a motion sensor security system in his R15. That used to work pretty well and even if anyone touching the bike with a finger used to trigger the alarms.
You can try installing that. It does not come too costly as well. Should be well under a 1000 bucks.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:10   #710
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post

Feel sorry for what you have been going through. Society complaints mostly are useless, I hope this is not the case with you.

My friend had installed a motion sensor security system in his R15. That used to work pretty well and even if anyone touching the bike with a finger used to trigger the alarms.
You can try installing that. It does not come too costly as well. Should be well under a 1000 bucks.
Well I don't think the society complaints are going to be useful in my case either. Can you check and tell me 2 things with your friend-
1. Which brand is it? Can it be ordered online?
2. How is the battery's condition after its installation?

Thanks!
Old 4th September 2013, 08:48   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bike was vandalized twice in my society. I stay in Kapil Abhijat society, Dahanukar Colony, Kothrud Pune.
In my opinion, it does not seem to be the work of any kids. In most of these housing societies, the society work is voluntarily managed by a few members so they are usually unavailable during the weekdays. You could try on weekends or drop an email to the secretary.

For some reason, people these days are quite belligerent with tenants. Doesnt your society have CCTV looking toward your parking lot? Considering the society profile I would be surprised if they dont have this. I live in a similar sized or a bit smaller society in Kothrud, but our building members decided to have this in place. Footage can be obtained of people moving about in the area and most of the times, this itself acts as a deterrent.
Old 4th September 2013, 09:06   #712
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

In my opinion, it does not seem to be the work of any kids. In most of these housing societies, the society work is voluntarily managed by a few members so they are usually unavailable during the weekdays. You could try on weekends or drop an email to the secretary.

For some reason, people these days are quite belligerent with tenants. Doesnt your society have CCTV looking toward your parking lot? Considering the society profile I would be surprised if they dont have this. I live in a similar sized or a bit smaller society in Kothrud, but our building members decided to have this in place. Footage can be obtained of people moving about in the area and most of the times, this itself acts as a deterrent.
Nope no CCTV's here. The security guards are
Never bothered to take a round behind. The last time I had informed them they told me must be some kids job. But looking as to how it was done it is nearly impossible for a kid to remove it and deliberately cut the wire. As told by the owner the timings for the society office have changed it is open between 10.30am-12.30pm so will be going today and submitting the letter. Lets see as to how things work out. Anyway I have replaced the indicators!
Thanks for replying
Old 4th September 2013, 11:11   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how do i avoid this happening in future? help
I can understand how frustrating this is man. Install a camera with motion sensor and catch the vandal red handed. Should not cost you a lot and will give you a lot of peace of mind as well.

Once you do catch the vandal, make sure he gets a proper lesson on respecting others property.
Old 4th September 2013, 16:01   #714
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I can understand how frustrating this is man. Install a camera with motion sensor and catch the vandal red handed. Should not cost you a lot and will give you a lot of peace of mind as well.

Once you do catch the vandal, make sure he gets a proper lesson on respecting others property.
I met the person who deals with all these complaints at the society office. He instructed the security guards to take rounds even at the back side where my parking is. I asked about the cam to mom she said let the society install CCTV's. she had raised the same point in the office. Anyway I am thinking of getting the security alarm. Will do something by the weekend!
If at all I catch the person he is screwed for sure.
Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 16:26   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I met the person who deals with all these complaints at the society office. He instructed the security guards to take rounds even at the back side where my parking is. I asked about the cam to mom she said let the society install CCTV's. she had raised the same point in the office. Anyway I am thinking of getting the security alarm. Will do something by the weekend!
Thanks
Yup, go for the security system with shock sensors and *instruct* your watchman to check in a flash if it the system chirps for one time, else he shares the screwing!
I guess Minda has such products for the purpose under 1.5K.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th September 2013 at 16:27.
Old 6th September 2013, 07:08   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Kids are just killing my car :( - key scratches all along the right side of the body.

Would Autographix stickers work? A thick band across the full side from below the door handles to the mouldings?

I abhor them aesthetically but not as much as looking at these scratches
Have you considered Paint Protection Film? It's a little expensive but will definitely help reduce the damage done to the car by vandals. I saw a few YouTube videos showing its toughness. The guy try rubbing a screwdriver or key cross it, I guess, without damaging the car!
Old 6th September 2013, 09:40   #717
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Yup, go for the security system with shock sensors and *instruct* your watchman to check in a flash if it the system chirps for one time, else he shares the screwing!
I guess Minda has such products for the purpose under 1.5K.
I have already instructed them. I would be purchasing the security system over the weekend. But seriously I have no
Hopes from the security guards. So the security system should be helpful!
Old 6th September 2013, 11:43   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have already instructed them. I would be purchasing the security system over the weekend. But seriously I have no
Hopes from the security guards. So the security system should be helpful!
I have read previously on this forum that how a member recorded a video footage of some urchins vandalising his car by a CCTV camera. If the price is reasonable, you can try that. It will not only bring peace to mind, but also the particular people to justice who are behind this menace.
Old 10th September 2013, 00:15   #719
BHPian

I am very frustrated by the recent experiences where people intentionally scratch cars parked roadside with keys or other metal objects. Last month, my wife's Spark, parked near my home for a day was badly scratched by some kid or a grown up moron. The scratches look very intentional and planned like some scribbles.

Today, I parked my car outside Kesar Sweet shop in AECS Layout and on my return in 15 mins, realized that there are two very deep scratches each about 1.5-2" long on my brand new Duster. One of them is horizontal, other one vertical. Surely not caused by someone accidentally.

While this seems to be a frustrating practice in Bangalore, are there any other fellow BHPians in Bangalore or other cities who faced something similar? Can anything be done about it? Any ideas of repair costs please?
Old 10th September 2013, 01:14   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Quote:
I've had scratches on my car's bonnet that were intentionally made by street kids. There's nothing you can do about it because they are just kids. Getting a car cover would discourage them from trying anything funny, though it would be a hassle to cover up every time you park the car. Apart from that, all we can do is continue to pay education cess/tax and hope it keeps future kids off the streets and gets them a decent education and living.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks