Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 16:07   #796
BHPian

re: Car Vandalism!

I was in US for three weeks and my car was parked in the basement of our apartment. Today morning, I removed the cover to find this...

Car Vandalism!-img_20141110_142501.jpg

Car Vandalism!-img_20141110_142453.jpg

There's a pillar next to the car, thus it can't be an accidental scratch. Don't know what someone would achieve by putting scratches on other's better maintained car. Instead of spending effort or money on maintaining their own cars, certain people get a kick by damaging other's cars.
Old 10th November 2014, 16:20   #797
BHPian

I live in an upmarket gated community in western suburbs of Hyderabad. We have regular cases of vehicle vandalism in our parking lots. There is even a mysterious "tire puncture" problem that has seen multifold increase in the number of incidents the moment a tire puncture shop became operational in the vicinity!
Old 10th November 2014, 16:32   #798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nothing has happened to the new generation. Most of this can be attributed as the mistakes of our generation (parents) who does NOT take enough responsibility for bringing up kids.

My sister doesn't like me scolding her kids even when they do a mistake. This further fuels them to continue doing mistakes. They always come up with the excuse "they are kids; they will learn when they grow up"!
I have a 3 year-old niece and can totally empathize. I'll never be in favor of harming kids or handing out capital punishment, but this whole 'positive reinforcement' parenting concept seems like a fad gone horribly wrong.

The parents need to define the boundaries of unacceptable behavior, and the consequences need to actually matter to the child.

I've seen 5-6 year olds who are sent to their rooms for misbehaving, only for them to play games on their 'educative' tablet device. The parents seem to think they're teaching the kid a lesson, while the kid believes the parents are wusses and they rule the house.

On-topic, I live right next to a small school, and it's a nightmare to keep my car parked out front. I have a separate rented parking spot for weekdays when I'm not using the car, but I'm helpless on weekends. A few scratches and dings have resulted, but nothing I can really do to teach the kids a lesson. Shouting at them doesn't help, and hitting them is neither an option nor will it solve anything, probably just make it worse.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th November 2014 at 16:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 22:48   #799
Senior - BHPian

This post is just to highlight how openly people threaten to vandalize one's car. I almsot had a nasty fight with an individual due to this.

I was visiting my friend and parked the car on side of the road. Now, there was compound wall of somebody's home in front of which my car was parked. Note that this is a busy public road and my car was not in front of their gate. Already three cars were parked and there was enough space to park an innova on my left.

All of a sudden, a man ( probably in late 40's ) comes to me and says not to park as its society plot. I know its not so I informed him that my car is not parked in anybody's plot, but on side of the road, road built by govt and any society.
It goes on for 5 mins. and I tell him I am here to see my friend who also stays in his society, but to no avail. When I tried getting out of my car, he pushed the door and threatened me not so get off my car. All this on public road. I pushed my grand i10's door, got out. He said "I will break your car".
My friend soon arrived and asked me to move my car. Did that after my friend said. I had really kept my cool, but the two threats made me lose my temper. I informed my friend that the society man is open to call police, but my friend and his brother calmed me down to move the car.

Just imagine the audacity of this individual, he threatens to break somebody's car which is certainly not parked near his gate and is parked on side of the road. He has sufficient place to park car inside his house ( atleast 2 mid size cars can be parked inside ), but he wont do it.
Did not want to spoil anybody's mood, and my friend said its his society and for sake of relations, let it go. The moment he did not let get off my car, I was so angry I could have hit him hard. Somehow did not do it as the person himself was much elder to me and residing in same society as my friend ( probably even he realised this and did not increase his voice which is mostly the first step towards a physical brawl ).

The place of this altercation is in Subhanpura area, Vadodara. The main road is called IPCL Road/subhanpura road.
Attached Images

Last edited by aaggoswami : 31st December 2014 at 22:51.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 00:28   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Well, apparently this happened.

Came across this same 'prank' a few days ago on youtube. It is actually plastidip(or some other removable paint) just to freak the public out.

-Bhargav
Old 4th January 2015, 02:07   #801
Senior - BHPian

Alas, I've become a victim of vandalism on my car. A long scratch from the rear of the car to the front along the side done with a key.

I know (with 99.9% surety) who has done it but don't have any evidence to prove/validate the same so I did take any action.
The pain and mental agony is so very high, I wish that none get to face this trauma.

At some places, the scratch has dug through the clear, base and primer level. Are there some experts in Bangalore who can do a good job repairing/masking the scratch ?
I know the standard response I would get from a typical Garage would be "Its not possible with a scratch that deep, you have to repaint the panel" I believe that anything is possible, there just has to be a will to do it and hence the question

I'm also contemplating on installing a compact and reliable HD DVR camera (preferably mounted next to the front seat headrest) that can record while the vehicle is parked.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th January 2015 at 02:21.
Old 4th January 2015, 08:36   #802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Alas, I've become a victim of vandalism on my car. A long scratch from the rear of the car to the front along the side done with a key.
Really sorry to hear that. I know how it must feel; been there before.

Quote:
Are there some experts in Bangalore who can do a good job repairing/masking the scratch ?
Sai Colorium

Trend Automobiles

Sai Colorium seems to have got some mixed to bad reviews off lately so take your call wisely.

Quote:
I'm also contemplating on installing a compact and reliable HD DVR camera (preferably mounted next to the front seat headrest) that can record while the vehicle is parked.
Good idea. See if you can install the camera on the garage instead and the camera focuses on your car. Shouldn't be very expensive IMO.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 12:38   #803
Team-BHP Support

And my new, unregistered car lands up on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-img20150104wa0010.jpeg  

Car Vandalism!-img20150104wa0012.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 06:06   #804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And my new, unregistered car lands up on this thread.
When i saw your post here, was kinda hoping it wasnt true, but then I saw the pic. Really sad to see people do this on purpose, as it quite obvious from that mark!

Leave it for now. Sometimes leaving one mark on there keeps others away.
Old 5th February 2015, 23:28   #805
Senior - BHPian

This was quite sometime back. I had parked car on the road in front of a tea/cigarette store I regularly visit and was having a cutting chai and a smoke. After some time 2 guys came there on a brand new Yamaha R15, ordered tea, went next to my car and was chatting. One rested on my shining car and while chatting was playing with the left ORVM . I didnt say anything then. Suddenly with a key he had in his hand he started scribbling on the left fender. I simply walked up to him and slapped him hard. The guy got stunned and fell down. I just couldn't help it. I guess it was frustration building up over time where on numerous occasions I come down to see car full of scratches through the entire length of the car. Once someone had signed his initials across the entire bonnet of my shining Black car. I felt like smashing his nose. His bike keys fell from his hand which I picked up immediately and put it in my pocket. A crowd gathered seeing the fight, however me being a regular there everyone knew me and my love for my cars. I simply pointed him towards an ATM and told him to pay 10 grand for the damage or I will break his new unregistered bike to pieces. Thankfully the crowd supported me. There was another elderly person who slapped him. The guy got so scared he ran to ATM with his friend and came back with the money. I warned him to not dare doing such a thing in future because someone may be watching. Then they took the key and rode off.

I took the car immediately to the garage and gave the car to get it fixed which was done for Rs 3500. The rest of the money was given to a renowned NGO dealing with underprivileged children because I didn't feel like keeping the money with me. Hopefully that's one vandal off the road and one child's needs met.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 5th February 2015 at 23:31.
Altocumulus is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 23:34   #806
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you Altocumulus finally a satisfying end to a tale of vandalism. Nice to see one now and then. Really makes me feel a lot better after reading some of the other stories here.

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 00:47   #807
BHPian

Thumbsup Altocumulus, you did the right thing and I am glad the message is rightly conveyed.

On the vandalism, a thought occurred to me, can we not have not stickers faking these scribbles? we can have a few stickers stuck on a few places that would satisfy the "sadist" who do these.
balajird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 01:00   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

I took the car immediately to the garage and gave the car to get it fixed which was done for Rs 3500. The rest of the money was given to a renowned NGO dealing with underprivileged children because I didn't feel like keeping the money with me. Hopefully that's one vandal off the road and one child's needs met.
That's a nice gesture on your part and a fitting reply to that Vandal. I don't know what pleasure people get in damaging others property. Only yesterday, I was getting my car polished and my friends superbly maintained 1992 M800 was on road. A 12-13yr old school going chap came and brushed a stick all along the length of his car. This is the sad state of affairs, unfortunately. Heights of being a saddist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Hats off to you Altocumulus finally a satisfying end to a tale of vandalism. Nice to see one now and then. Really makes me feel a lot better after reading some of the other stories here.

Cheers!
You know Ishaan, I became sad after seeing that you have posted last on this thread. I was dreading something worse about your Kizashi and was sincerely hoping that its not the case.
Finally, took a sigh of relief, and BHPians Altocumulus story finally restored my faith in humanity.

I generally avoid this thread, as it often ends up boiling my blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Thumbsup Altocumulus, you did the right thing and I am glad the message is rightly conveyed.

On the vandalism, a thought occurred to me, can we not have not stickers faking these scribbles? we can have a few stickers stuck on a few places that would satisfy the "sadist" who do these.
No use of those stickers,Sir, these sadists won't be pleased unless they contribute a bit from their side. Only thing we can do is install PPF or polish it so nicely that surface literally becomes a mirror. It resists key scratches to some extent.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th February 2015 at 01:08.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 08:22   #809
BHPian

Seriously what gets into the minds of these people? There are tons and tons of free paper available and equal loads of pen too. Why is it that they want to practice what they learnt in nursery ie scribbling their names, drawing elephant etc..at this monstrous age that too at a costlier expense of someone else? grrrr!!!! makes my blood boil...what you did was perfectly correct....yeah you shud have should have broken his nose....bugger should have spent another 10K on plastic surgery...

Not that im supporting road rage in any manner...it just baffles me to think how people can treat some one's hard earned money as a mere scribbling pad!!..

it really pains to see this thread grow day by day....

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 6th February 2015 at 08:26.
Old 6th February 2015, 09:52   #810
BHPian

Three days ago, I parked my XUV in the parking lot of Inorbit Mall in Hitech City, Hyderabad. After a couple of hours when I went back to the car, there was a big scratch on the rear - right next to the number plate. It was done tastefully and was perfectly parallel to the ground. It could not have been an accidental scratch.

Talked to the security guards there and found there were no CC cameras where I parked. Couldn't do anything about it. Left the mall in a very bad mood that really affected my driving back home.

It is this feeling of utter helplessness and agony that these vandals look for. Scratches and dents happening due to accidents are OK. But someone intentionally and methodically vandalizing someone else's car is beyond comprehension.

Whoever did this to my car, had he been caught red-handed, would have ended up in an ICU. Good for him that he didn't loiter around.

Later I got to know this is normal in Inorbit parking. Many such cases of vehicle vandalism and puncturing.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed