Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 19:20   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Vandalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Anyway damage has been done. It looks like sheet metal is damaged and i will have to get the door changed.
Sorry to see the damage. I don't think you need to get the door replaced - I don't see a puncture in the sheet metal.

A spot welder can be used to pull out the dent and then it would need a repaint. This would usually cost about 5K at a FNG.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th November 2015 at 19:23.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 21:50   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Honestly I never understood this concept of "getting the car cleaned" by an unknown person!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
... In the initial days, we wash our cars and take care of it well. But as few days pass, and the love for the car wanes, ... But still it is our car, and we want it to be clean right? Here is where these kids come in.
....and fixing such big scratches would set us back in 5 digit sums.
I serious don't understand the motive behind these guys. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
...... I find the car cleaning rather a troublesome part! I know it takes just 5 minutes to just dust off, or 15 minutes for a simple wash with plain water, but getting ourselves up to do this task is a bigger task. But everyone cannot put up with a car gathering dust, or spend efforts to clean, right!

These unruly elements end up giving a bad name to the entire bunch of car cleaners.

Most people have a genuine need to employ car cleaners simply because it is considered as a chore/have no time/messy to be done on a daily basis and most people don't have the same view and passion on cars like we team-bhp folks do

In turn, employing these people supports an entire eco system, over the years, I've personally observed some of these kids clean cars early mornings, attend school, move these cars given to them back and forth and get those driving skills enough to become drivers .

After employing them for more than a decade, I switched to do the cleaning myself. I let them clean my old car till it was sold and then started doing it myself with the new car. That way, I hopefully minimized making him feel bad.

Over the last year and half, I haven't lost my enthusiasm to clean the car myself.
Here is my take on how to go about it.

1. Cars don't need to be cleaned with water daily, in fact two of my previous cars were cleaned on a daily basis with filthy water and cloth and I ended up repainting the bonnet eventually after 4 to 5 years in both my cars due to a number of scratches (sand paper effect of using soiled cloth by cleaners.)

So if you do intend to employ a cleaner, ensure that you provide him a micro-fiber cloth before every clean.

2. You need to clean the car with water only once a week. Takes max half an hour. Use the two bucket method to avoid swirl marks and scratches.

Surprisingly, if done properly, you just need half a bucket of water in total to clean a large car.
Cleaning the car every week with water as opposed to daily will slow your car paint from dulling/fading out.

3. Everyday, the car can be quickly dusted with a Jopaso Car Duster, it is quick, non-messy. Where-ever possible, avoid parking under trees where you may end up with bird-poop on the car every morning.

4. If the car is excessively dirty (especially after long drives on rainy/muddy conditions), always have it pressure cleaned at your FNG rather than cleaning it yourself. Wiping the stuck dust and sand particles with a cloth will scratch your car.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th November 2015 at 21:53.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 19:44   #858
BHPian

There is no way that this could have happened as a natural phenomena. I tried myself to pry off a letter, and it was not possible. Someone systematically and with time on their hands made the effort.

I questioned myself:

1. What did they gain.
2. There is no value add.
3. It does not make the car look better.

People who do such acts should be neutered.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-wp_20151114_12_57_01_pro.jpg  

Old 16th November 2015, 23:44   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
There is no way that this could have happened as a natural phenomena. I tried myself to pry off a letter, and it was not possible. Someone systematically and with time on their hands made the effort.

I questioned myself:

1. What did they gain.
2. There is no value add.
3. It does not make the car look better.

People who do such acts should be neutered.
This is outrageous, I mean I could understand someone scratching the car deliberately but this seems like a job done by a maniac. Attaching a picture of my new Honda Jazz, 1+ month old. I guess it was a kid who did this.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-20151115_180618.jpg  

k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:06   #860
BHPian

2 weeks back, I had my fender scratched (Pic in the above post) and now this Someone is really after my vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-20151207_142224.jpg  

Old 7th December 2015, 20:14   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
2 weeks back, I had my fender scratched (Pic in the above post) and now this Someone is really after my vehicle.
Darn! Wish I could openly voice the choicest of expletives for people who do this to people's rides.

Try rubbing some toothpaste into the scratch. Works like a charm and should help hide much of the damage inflicted by the "designer" scratch.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 7th December 2015 at 20:16.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:46   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Darn! Wish I could openly voice the choicest of expletives for people who do this to people's rides.

Try rubbing some toothpaste into the scratch. Works like a charm and should help hide much of the damage inflicted by the "designer" scratch.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Took it to a local garage, he sandpapered the area, used rubbing compound and then waxed it. The scratches are so deep that he only managed to smoothen out the surface but they still are very visible. Changing the headlight seems the only way out. Called Honda and they quoted 4500 plus labor and taxes for the headlight and 3500 plus taxes for the fender repaint. Do you think claiming insurance (0 dep) for this would be wise? In my 14 years of car ownership, I have never claimed insurance so wanted to check.
Old 7th December 2015, 22:50   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Took it to a local garage, he sandpapered the area, used rubbing compound and then waxed it. The scratches are so deep that he only managed to smoothen out the surface but they still are very visible. Changing the headlight seems the only way out. Called Honda and they quoted 4500 plus labor and taxes for the headlight and 3500 plus taxes for the fender repaint. Do you think claiming insurance (0 dep) for this would be wise? In my 14 years of car ownership, I have never claimed insurance so wanted to check.
If you are looking at getting the fender painted and the headlight replaced as well, i think it makes sense to claim from insurance. Even if you lose the 20% NCB for the next year, you still stand to benefit by making a claim than paying from your own pocket.

However, if its just the fender that needs immediate attention, given that the NCB loss is more or less equivalent to what you would pay on your own, the latter makes more sense. This way youll earn the additional 5% for every subsequent year.

I know its difficult to foresee so much into the future but, with automobiles I like to stay as much positive as possible

And yes, please find yourself a better/ different spot to park your car at. Plus also invest in a car cover which doesn't give an inkling of what car it is and that should help keep some retards at bay!

P.S.- Im not sure what your current NCB is but, since you mentioned that you havent ever claimed insurance, is it a 65% NCB that you have? Anything more than 20% and please dont bother with insurance. Paying for the repair work yourself will work out quite better for you in that scenario

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 7th December 2015 at 23:02.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 00:40   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
P.S.- Im not sure what your current NCB is but, since you mentioned that you havent ever claimed insurance, is it a 65% NCB that you have? Anything more than 20% and please dont bother with insurance. Paying for the repair work yourself will work out quite better for you in that scenario

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Thanks Shivang! I bought this Honda Jazz 2015 on Sep 27th with a new policy since I disposed both my vehicles before buying this one. Since this is a new policy, I believe I'd be eligible for a 15-20% NCB the next year. The approx amount was 25k for the insurance I took from Honda and considering 20% NCB, I am better off to claim insurance in case I plan to change the RHS headlight along with fender repaint. I'll decide about it in a day or two but looking at that patch, I don't think I'll be able to hold for long.
Old 8th December 2015, 10:59   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shivang! I bought this Honda Jazz 2015 on Sep 27th with a new policy since I disposed both my vehicles before buying this one. Since this is a new policy, I believe I'd be eligible for a 15-20% NCB the next year. The approx amount was 25k for the insurance I took from Honda and considering 20% NCB, I am better off to claim insurance in case I plan to change the RHS headlight along with fender repaint. I'll decide about it in a day or two but looking at that patch, I don't think I'll be able to hold for long.
Sad! Been there!

My advise is to put on hold any plans you have to repair the damage. It's pure cosmetic at the moment and does not seem to have any impact on the functional portion of the HL, isn't it?

Just think of it as something to ward off the evil-eye...

Let the pervert have his/ her share of satisfaction looking at their "art" work.

Looking at the trend of your posts, there doesn't seem to be much of a guarantee that the same antics may not be repeated. IMO Your actions should be in that direction, to curb such future heart-burns. Else it will be the culprit & Honda A.S.S who would be having all the fun, at your expense.
vinjosep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 01:04   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Sad! Been there!

My advise is to put on hold any plans you have to repair the damage. It's pure cosmetic at the moment and does not seem to have any impact on the functional portion of the HL, isn't it?

Just think of it as something to ward off the evil-eye...

Let the pervert have his/ her share of satisfaction looking at their "art" work.

Looking at the trend of your posts, there doesn't seem to be much of a guarantee that the same antics may not be repeated. IMO Your actions should be in that direction, to curb such future heart-burns. Else it will be the culprit & Honda A.S.S who would be having all the fun, at your expense.
That's what I had in mind but its an eyesore to look at Even my family members suggest to keep repairs at bay for the time being just to make sure this guy who's doing it stops. By the way, I've ordered an IP camera (Smiledrive Cleverdog) and would keep a tap of activity around the parking area. Once caught, god save that guy
k.sumit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 15:16   #867
BHPian

Quote:
The NCB follows the driver - it does not follow the car. So if you enjoyed, say 40% NCB, in your previous vehicle, which you sold, then you are entitled continue with that 40% in the new vehicle.
aaren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 21:04   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
The NCB follows the driver - it does not follow the car. So if you enjoyed, say 40% NCB, in your previous vehicle, which you sold, then you are entitled continue with that 40% in the new vehicle.
I guess this lack of knowledge costs us all. Was never aware of this and paid a hefty amount for insurance. Thanks for the info, will take care of it in the future and will also update my near ones.
Old 14th December 2015, 21:34   #869
BHPian

Quote:
I guess this lack of knowledge costs us all. Was never aware of this and paid a hefty amount for insurance. Thanks for the info, will take care of it in the future and will also update my near ones.
When making a claim:

A. It is not just the NCB that one might loose in the future should be taken into account
B. Consider the excess clause under your policy
C. If a person has taken policy without "Zero Depreciation" - this clause is known by various names in various companies, then depreciation will also eat into claim amount.

Before proceeding for a claim, consider these generic factors. Case to case things could differ. Would be happy to post a separate note if needed. Cheers
aaren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 21:43   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess this lack of knowledge costs us all. Was never aware of this and paid a hefty amount for insurance. will take care of it in the future
If you haven't claimed for such a long time on your previous car, you would have accumualted a max 50% NCB in your name. The good news is that you can still get a refund corresponding to 50% NCB on the insurance amount that you have paid for your new car.. Just go and ask your dealer/insurance agent confidently. They cannot deny you this benefit.

Quote:
The scratches are so deep that he only managed to smoothen out the surface but they still are very visible. Changing the headlight seems the only way out.
These days many service centers remove quite tough scratches from old headlamp clusters and restore it. It may help if you take a second opinion on the same. Replacement may not be required.

Quote:
By the way, I've ordered an IP camera (Smiledrive Cleverdog) and would keep a tap of activity around the parking area. Once caught, god save that guy
The camera looks cool. Just don't keep it in barking mode or the guy will vandalize the camera too.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th December 2015 at 21:46.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks