Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 02:59   #886
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Car Vandalism!

Saw this vandalized Alto at my MASS. My heart went out to the car bearing the brunt, rather than the offending owner. The person who did this must really have been pissed off, to gather courage to hurt a car like this.

Car Vandalism!-20160508_174106.jpg

For those members who are unable to comprehend, here it is-Don't park bang in front of someone's gate.

Déjà vu:Just hours before I spotted this Alto, I had an argument with a person, who had parked his i20 just in front of my gate, making it impossible for me to reverse.

Would like to seek suggestions from BHPians- How to effectively make such people understand?? This idiot has this proclivity to park his car bang in front of someone's gate. Almost everyday, he has an argument with someone or the other. We have tried almost everything, from hanging "NO Parking" signouts to asking him politely. He will honour you for about a week, but comes back to his habit from the next day.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th May 2016 at 03:16.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 06:45   #887
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Would like to seek suggestions from BHPians- How to effectively make such people understand??
Get the towing van called from your local traffic police static and lift the car off. Let the owner go to the station and collect the car after paying some fine. We have done this thrice till now after having a car parked in front of my gate.

Why get into verbal communication that yield no sense into these fellows.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 08:00   #888
BHPian

Get one of this.
Car Vandalism!-_58.jpg

Comes at some 2000 rs.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-_58.jpg  

redcruiser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 09:09   #889
BHPian

And someone vandalised my Bronzo Scuro Tjet again. This time too it was parked in the basement parking of my home. Don't know whether it's some ill mannered kid or some jealous neighbour. Just can't understand why someone would do that...
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-1462764959696.jpg  

Old 24th May 2016, 09:38   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

A mentally unstable guy (and most likely a drug addict) was smashing windshields in our apartment basement with an iron rod and 3kg LPG cylinder. He even hurt the guards who had to run away to save themselves. I, on hearing the noise came down running. The guy attacked me with the rod and the 3KG LPG cylinder. I was somehow able to overpower him and get the rod and the cylinder into my possession. Sustained some minor injuries in my hand. By that time, the guy had smashed the rear windshield of an 800 and the front windhshield of a Zen. Somehow, my Civic standing just next to the 800 was spared/ saved.
The Zen was sent for repair next morning hence could not take the picture; Got the same for the 800. Somehow not able to attach the pictures with my antique E63 mobile phone. Will post them soon though.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th May 2016 at 09:55.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 11:43   #891
BHPian

I have been a silent reader on this thread since some time, My Safari has also been vandalized many times but off late it has become a regular phenomenon, Someone in my society has been scratching it all up.
There are no cameras in the parking so its getting frustrating to catch the guy.
I was planning to get a small camera set up done, get a Spy Cam and attach it to a powerbank so that it runs for a couple of days. I am not sure if giving a direct connection to the battery is safe, Has anyone tried something similar or has any suggestions? Please help me out.
Old 24th May 2016, 15:02   #892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
And someone vandalised my Bronzo Scuro Tjet again.
The markings indicate that it is done on purpose and by a grown-up.

Why such phenomenon takes place in apartments? Hardly one knows each other?

Society should install CCTV's and keep a tab on this menace.

But what to do on the road?

I have kept a paper mentioning my no, to call up if the car needs to be moved. Haven't been called yet, as I take pains to park it properly without obstructing anything.
Old 25th May 2016, 23:05   #893
Senior - BHPian

My Beat also got vandalized recently when parked on the road. It seems like someone put a hook or something similar inside the front wheel well possibly between the cladding and sheet metal of the fender and pulled outwards. The result was a kind of fold running vertically up the fender panel about 6 inches and chipped paint + rough edge with some misalignment of the fender and cladding.

Worst part is I pushed it back in place to almost the original position, except for the edge. Then a later I thought Ill just do it a bit more and it should be almost unnoticeable but I overdid it a bit and now that area is flat instead of curved :(
Still have to touch up the edge with paint.
It was surprisingly easy to deform the metal by pushing ! Maybe because the fold caused some weakening in the sheet metal ?

What dash cams can give reasonably good quality side recording ? Im very tempted to get 360deg coverage of the car and hardwiring so that it runs even when the car is off. Is this too much or for 99% of the time front facing dash cam is enough ?
Old 29th May 2016, 14:51   #894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I have been a silent reader on this thread since some time, My Safari has also been vandalized many times but off late it has become a regular phenomenon, Someone in my society has been scratching it all up.
There are no cameras in the parking so its getting frustrating to catch the guy.
I was planning to get a small camera set up done, get a Spy Cam and attach it to a powerbank so that it runs for a couple of days. I am not sure if giving a direct connection to the battery is safe, Has anyone tried something similar or has any suggestions? Please help me out.
Most dashcams use micro USB
You can buy this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-C...c-0bab7d2b830a

Power dashcam with it. But make sure you do not use it more than 24 hours at a stretch.

Fully charged batter is 60aH

Dashcam power consumption approx 5W or max 0.5A at 12V. Lets take it 0.8A

So 24 hours would not even half discharge your battery. But since current is going to other vehicle systems, lets take 24h as safe limit.

You may want to install dashcam pointing towards where the person does scratching, but that person may see dashcam. So try and install it hidden.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 03:22   #895
BHPian

My BMW got vandalized in Chennai

So I've got a couple questions and was wondering if you kind lads could help me out. I hit the gym on a daily basis and it provides private parking. By that I mean the parking is only available to the building, which isn't very big. The gym shares the parking with a few other companies who operate out of the building, however the time of the incident was between 7:10 and 8:40 on a Tuesday. Most the other offices don't work that late so the perpetrator was probably someone who worked in the building.

I digress, what I'm getting at is I'm not sure how to deal with this. There are some massive scratches on the hood of my car and I've got markings on the side. I have a HDFC policy but how should I move forward with this incident? I've spoken to the manager of the gym so he is aware. Should I approach the police? I'm not sure if my policy covers such types of damages. I want to hold the gym responsible since it is a perk of the gym and they have guards who's sole job is to keep the vehicles secure. I'm just afraid that my insurance won't cover the multiple sides in a single entry for service. Can someone shed some light? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vandalism!-img_1619.jpg  

Car Vandalism!-img_1618.jpg  

Old 10th July 2016, 08:24   #896
Senior - BHPian

Re: My BMW got vandalized in Chennai

Unfortunate! However, unless you have a CCTV footage to show it happened where you said it happened you have nothing really on record. Plus this Gym parking service is merely a perk which will come with the Notice "Management not responsible for any theft or damage on vehicles parked."
It will be hard to prove without evidence that the damage was done because of their fault. I am also assuming that you parked your car yourself and there was no valet. The car never really left your custody so to say.
Before insurance speak to an independent garage and have them take a look at the damage. May be some rubbing compound and buffeting will lessen the damage. However repainting the part is your only solution eventually.

Last edited by bigron : 10th July 2016 at 08:40.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:43   #897
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate, and very sad to see this happen to any car. Looking at the pictures I say that a rubbing compound, followed by slight paint cutting and polishing will take care of the finer scratches by 100% and may be a 70-80% reduction in the deeper scratches. Overall it will look as if the car has a few minor scratches post the session. A repainting on the other hand will take care of it 100% but will be far more expensive considering the color matching and the brand of vehicle. If you have the inclination you may opt for paint protection film from 3M after the repainting which will stop even key scratches, it can be obtained on the bumpers, running boards and the bonnet+boot lid. Offers some peace of mind.
The vandal will target your car again unless caught and thrashed. So stop taking your expensive cars to the gym and go in a cheaper car, bike or taxi for a while
Old 10th July 2016, 09:53   #898
BHPian

Vandalism is covered by insurance and you can claim this. I have gone thru this twice in my earlier cars and one of them was paid by HDFC ergo. As yours is a beemer, the insurer may ask for a police complaint- was asked for one for my claim when my X5 was scratched when parked. Would suggest you log a complaint with the managers help and go ahead with the claim right away.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:54   #899
BHPian

By the looks of it, the scratches are very deep.While the rubbing compound might smoothen the scratches, I highly doubt it would eliminate them. Also if I am correct, rubbing compound eats away the clear coating. You could check with experts though. Re-painting would be your next best option.
Where did the incident take place in Chennai?
Old 3rd September 2016, 13:24   #900
BHPian

Seriously what do these sadists think messing with others' properties. Someone dragged a key all along the rear door upto the fuel cap of my polo an hour ago outside a lenskart store. I've stopped being upset like earlier days now but seriously what is in the psyche of these vandals?
AppyS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks