Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 18:35   #976
BHPian

Re: Car Vandalism!

I have a guy in my building who didn't pay the maintenance and since I was questioning this, he once stole my antenna and hid it. Luckily I found it, but ever since I've been keeping the antennas of both my cars inside the cars except when utilizing them for a long drive (FM signals are pretty ok in Bangalore even without the antenna).

On another note, I know a person who got so angry at someone in the building who was very arrogant and refused to pay anything for the upkeep of the building. He punctured all the tyres and scratched the whole car. This was a Skoda and apparently the damage costed her about 3 lakhs. Though a police complaint was filed, the cops didnt do anything because there was no proof (no cc tv cameras or any device to capture the incident).

I really don't know what these people get out of vandalizing cars when the people who own them have no grouse to pick with them. Guess its pure jealousy and rage.
Old 4th January 2018, 18:52   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
However they can only confirm if they were to see the car in person.
True. From the pics, it looks easy. Scratches disappearing on spraying with water also gives some hope. Why don't you give a try: it's a matter of 80 rupees only. Get some 3M Finesse it rubbing compound and try once.

For thin and deep scratches, you can do this too:

No workshop will do it for you. DIY is the only way out.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 19:05   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to that. No harm in giving it a try. Workshops will naturally push for repaint. It may also happen that scratches may get lighter after rubbing and you may decide to live with it!
In my opinion, you should give rubbing a try once before incurring hefty re painting costs.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 19:14   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

@sumeethaldankar, sorry to see the damage. Choosing between a DIY or a repaint depends on your budget, the quality of work you want to see on the boot lid and how long you intend keeping the car. Remember, paint imperfections are very noticable on horizontal surfaces (hood/dicky lid/roof) and less so on vertical ones like the doors and bumpers.

Someone had keyed my car's L & R front doors on 2 separate occasions several years ago. And this whilst parked in my stilt garage.

I admit possessing a level of OCD and take pride in maintaining my car very well. So the repaint was done at the ASC who did a very good job. The colour match is perfect. It was expensive but when I look at my car it was worth it.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 19:46   #980
BHPian

Can we believe this video ?

Not able to believe that with this simple effort, we can remove minor scratches !
My Amaze have some minor scratches on back door panels which were not deep for sure. Please suggest whether it is a good idea to use a tooth powder/tooth paste on them.

Last edited by Hickstead : 4th January 2018 at 19:56. Reason: Added additional information
Hickstead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 19:58   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post

Not able to believe that with this simple effort, we can remove minor scratches !
Please don't try it. Tooth powder plus water or similar solvents becomes just regular tooth paste. Will not work for any scratch that has penetrated the surface finish. All you are going to end up with is, lot of heavy swirl marks on the surface.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 20:09   #982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Can we believe this video?
I love Indian jugaad as in the utter sauciness of showing a thumb to more expensive and widely accepted solutions

Well, if your paint hasn't been scratched down to the basecoat / primer and is restricted to the clearcoat it may work since toothpaste has a very mild abrasive quality. I've done these tricks with assorted polishes and compounds. They work and mostly partially only for minor (shallow) scratches. I'd advise using a polish or compound though they are far more expensive compared to the tooth powder/paste.

The old trick of the trade is to run your finger nail across the scratch. If it gets stuck then the scratch is too deep and the body panel needs touching up or a repaint.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 22:56   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
True. From the pics, it looks easy. Scratches disappearing on spraying with water also gives some hope. Why don't you give a try: it's a matter of 80 rupees only. Get some 3M Finesse it rubbing compound and try once.
No workshop will do it for you. DIY is the only way out.
Regards,
Shashi
Yes i will try it out Shashi. Can you confirm if this is the link to the product so I can order right away.

https://www.amazon.in/Material-Fines...bbing+compound

https://www.amazon.in/3M-IA110109286...=3m+finesse+it

If not can you guide me to the link.

Thanks man.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 23:05   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the link. Seller=Cloudtail

Are you comfortable with wet sanding?? If yes, you can get the scratches removed the DIY way.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 16:12   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
I have a guy in my building who didn't pay the maintenance and since I was questioning this, he once stole my antenna and hid it. Luckily I found it, but ever since I've been keeping the antennas of both my cars inside the cars except when utilizing them for a long drive (FM signals are pretty ok in Bangalore even without the antenna).

On another note, I know a person who got so angry at someone in the building who was very arrogant and refused to pay anything for the upkeep of the building. He punctured all the tyres and scratched the whole car. This was a Skoda and apparently the damage costed her about 3 lakhs. Though a police complaint was filed, the cops didnt do anything because there was no proof (no cc tv cameras or any device to capture the incident).

I really don't know what these people get out of vandalizing cars when the people who own them have no grouse to pick with them. Guess its pure jealousy and rage.
Off-topic :

What I don't understand is why people whine about paying for Building Maintenance. As far as I know, the maintenance figures are usually in 2-3000 range , unless ofcourse your apartment has a swimming pool.

People have the money to buy Skoda cars, pay 1-2 crore for the apartment, but moan and whine about paying maintenance which is needed for the services they consume in the first place. I guess common sense is not so common after all.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th January 2018 at 15:26. Reason: Removing the B word :) Thanks.
dreadknight5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 13:23   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1712625
Got this present today. Are these scratches removable ?
Got the boot lid painted plus a nasty dent removed which was there prior due to Innova getting too comfy with my Civics rear . Total damage 2.5k and a couple of society members bruised egos. Haven't found the cluprit but arranging finances to install CCTV camera for my car.

Edit: Bhpian Shashi did try to help by guiding me with a rubbing compound but the scratches were too deep. Now the boot looks shinier than rest of the car. Might need detailing, which means more $$ to be spent.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 14th January 2018 at 13:29.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 12:57   #987
BHPian

Came across a vandalised Lamborghini Hurucan Avio in Brugge, Belgium.

https://www.motor1.com/news/226397/l...io-vandalized/

Car Vandalism!-someonekeyedthisrarelamborghinihuracanaviovandalized.jpg

Car Vandalism!-envygreenlamborghinihuracanlp6104aviokeyed2.jpg

Car Vandalism!-someonekeyedthisrarelamborghinihuracanaviovandalized2.jpg
akashitaliya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 13:37   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashitaliya View Post
Came across a vandalised Lamborghini
True to the name of its paint colour (Envy Green), it made someone go green with envy

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th January 2018 at 13:40.
for_cars1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 14:06   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashitaliya View Post
Came across a vandalised Lamborghini Hurucan Avio in Brugge, Belgium.
So, the worst scums of the universe are spread out all around the world.
My heart burns to see this. What a lovely car and what a mess created. If the owner finds the miscreant, I'm sure he will not mind leaving some scratches on the vandal for life. A BHPian had posted on this thread about a jaguar which was scratched on the bonnet by some vandal in a mall in Chennai.

When will they learn that it takes a lot of money and hard work to afford and upkeep such beautiful machines. Damaging someone else's vehicle is not going to automatically move them up the wealth chain.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th June 2018 at 16:22. Reason: Removing incomplete attachment tags
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 14:21   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
True to the name of its paint colour (Envy Green), it made someone go green with envy
Agreed. Doing something to a supercar or even a Toyota for that matter is far from wise.
The colour of the car is Verde Turbine. Lamborghini Hurucan Avio again is an extremely rare supercar. Only 250 such examples were made between 5 colour options.

Most Viewed