Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 10:21   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
However, let us look at this scenario a little more closely from the lady's point of view. She would have taken a quick look to her left and seen your car approaching apparently in the middle/left lane of your road. But you then swerved to your right to avoid the glass pieces and she probably would not have seen that happen. Why? Because she would have been focussing hard to her right to beat oncoming traffic and get on to your road.
By the time she would have seen me, I was already on the right side, i did not swerve suddenly. I had moved gradually from the middle lane to the right much before. Remember I mentioned that I had already passed that road and I knew exactly where the glass peices were.
And also, I was not at 40kmph at an intersection. I was very much slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
If i were you, I would have simply gotten out my car. examined the extent of damage, and driven off, as in your case. The damage is anything but life-endagering.
Well, i know the damage is anything but life endagering, but still this car is my love and I have been taking care of it so well (there is no dent on my car till date), so just you can just imagine my immediate reaction when some dumb lady crashes into me for no mistake of mine.

Quote:
FYI - The rule says, please allow traffic on your right to pass. You were on the left. You should have braked and let her go

Well, this is my perogative on things. Don't take it to heart bro'

do note that I prependicularily I had already crossed her. Because along with her there were other bikes also which were waiting for me to pass as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Hey God's Envy,

Thanks for the diagram. It is now clear that you caused the accident 100%. You suddenly swerved to the right which caused the accident.

Do you think that there would have been an accident if you drove in a straight line? I don't.

Then you proceed to argue with a lady and take Rs.500 from her old mother who was probably getting ready to have a heart attack with the stress of the situation.

Not good at all.
RedMM30, please note that I had not swerved suddenly. I had gradually moved to the right already, Because I already knew where the glass pieces were sterwn on the road.

Last edited by gods-envy : 15th July 2008 at 10:24.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:34   #47
BHPian

I had pretty bad experience with woman drives (both in US and Bangalore) and I try and avoid them at all costs. For nuts, they can never see things logically.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:30   #48
BHPian

i have been folowing up with this thread right from its first post and the title which mentions ( lady driver in brackets).

tell me one thing if the accident would have been caused by a male driver would this have been written in brackets particularly.

i agree with the fact that the driver only gave rs 500 as if she was offering some charity but may be a male driver would not have offered anything at all or may be he would even have born the cost of repairs.

i mean the situation depends completely on the individual. Bashing up, skills of lady drivers on this forum where there are a few ladies and most of them are very good drivers, i feel they do not deserve this type of generalisation when it comes to lady drivers being bad or good.

it is always a thing of ifs and buts. so it would be appropriate not to generalise when it comes to lesser mortals like us.

just my two frustrated cents.

Mansi
Old 15th July 2008, 11:34   #49
BANNED

There have been innumerable accidents - all involving male drivers. Since a lady driver was involved in this case, hence the attention in the thread title.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
i have been folowing up with this thread right from its first post and the title which mentions ( lady driver in brackets).

tell me one thing if the accident would have been caused by a male driver would this have been written in brackets particularly.

i agree with the fact that the driver only gave rs 500 as if she was offering some charity but may be a male driver would not have offered anything at all or may be he would even have born the cost of repairs.

i mean the situation depends completely on the individual. Bashing up, skills of lady drivers on this forum where there are a few ladies and most of them are very good drivers, i feel they do not deserve this type of generalisation when it comes to lady drivers being bad or good.

it is always a thing of ifs and buts. so it would be appropriate not to generalise when it comes to lesser mortals like us.

just my two frustrated cents.

Mansi
Firstly, the accident was unfortunate and though avoidable such things happen and its neither the case of male nor female drivers and such mishaps do happen all the time while one is on the road and it does not limit to any specific gender period.

Secondly,the generalization was unfortunate as not only on the forum are some really good and responsible drivers,outside of the forum too i know personally some really good female drivers.

@Manaa45: Well ! i dont think women are lesser mortals and can understand your frustration.

Folks just exercise restraint on this generalization as definitely it will hurt some and before this thread goes out of bound, I request not to go into mudslinging which is totally uncalled for.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If i were you, I would have simply gotten out my car. examined the extent of damage, and driven off, as in your case. The damage is anything but life-endagering.
I encountered such a person a couple of days back. He stops at a red light in his swift and a fully loaded Ape that cannot brake in time slides in and bangs into the rear. I am right beside both of them. The guy gets out, checks the damage (a hole in the bumper and broken clips), tells the guy in the Ape what have you done - goes and sits in the car and simply accelerates away.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:20   #52
Team-BHP Support

Hey, How about the next time something like this happens.

You get down and inspect the damage.
Then look at the person and then the sky.
Wave your hand around and act as if you have casted an evil curse on the car.
Smile with a wicked gleam in yor eye.

And simple say, Go.
before you drive away.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I encountered such a person a couple of days back. He stops at a red light in his swift and a fully loaded Ape that cannot brake in time slides in and bangs into the rear. I am right beside both of them. The guy gets out, checks the damage (a hole in the bumper and broken clips), tells the guy in the Ape what have you done - goes and sits in the car and simply accelerates away.
As easy as it appears, it is difficult to do at that moment.
Especially
, when it the first scratch/dent on your car.

As for gods_envy, it is hard not to empathise with him for what has happened.
I dont see a point in debating whose fault it was.
Sometimes, it is a genuine accident.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:15   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Legally, the driver of the other car is NOT liable to pay you any money for damage, irrespective of whether its her fault of not. Their insurance company is the one who will pay you. Thats precisely why third party insurance is mandatory in India. I think it was inappropriate to ask the lady to step out and pay you money. The best way is to exchange insurance, registration and driving licence details, register a police complaint and move on.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:16   #55
BHPian

This is the funniest thread ever on team-bhp

I'm having a tough time controlling my laughter reading what everyone has to say. It's so so funny. I guess gods-envy just came for a sympathy shoulder on the forum guys, let's give him one. We feel sorry for you bro'.
Take care
Cheers!

Now that you probably feel better, answer this : How would you feel if your mum or sister were to hit someone's car and that guy walked upto them and demanded them to get out of the car?
I can understand your frustration and temper and precisely how you felt at that point of time mate but c'mon. Aren't we men good at hiding our emotions. Aren't we taught to respect women? My point is, that the damage to your car was already done, what was the need of arguing with a lady. What did you get? What good was going to come? Did you feel any better after the arguement? 500 bucks made you richer? No, you didn't feel any better in any sorta way and your car was still damaged and probably the lady cursed you (maybe behind your back)and got away with it. With women, you can't really win and had she been a sensible or shall I say "classy/sophisticated/intelligent/considerate/blah blah blah..../the good woman" , she would have automaticallly stepped out of the car and apologised to you. So why bother? If at all you really really needed to put the blame on someone, you should have done what I wrote in earlier, note down the details of the car and call the cops. What are they there for? What do you or everyone else pays insurance for?
So let's just forget what happened there and who's fault was it. Just Cheer up bro'. Cheer up and be extra careful the next time. Braking for someone, even when you have the side to go, doesn't hurt. It only takes a second longer to reach the destination. Just imagine, Had you braked, how much of this you could have saved and instead of writing, accident caused by a lady driver, you could have written, narrow escape.

M2S
PS: Whatever happened to the rule, drive on the road believing that everybody else is a nutcase and doesn't know how to drive.

Last edited by married2speed : 15th July 2008 at 13:18.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:55   #56
BANNED

Exactly what I meant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The best way is to exchange insurance, registration and driving licence details, register a police complaint and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
You can claim from her car's insurance. Please follow the formalities specified by her car's insurer. You will need:
1. Photocopy of her DL
2. Photocopy of her car's RC
3. Photocopy of her car insurance.
4. (If needed)Photocopy of FIR lodged.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:16   #57
Team-BHP Support

Looking at all these responses I am writing about what happened when my wife was learning to drive.

She was entering the main road from a side road near the PVNR expressway being built in Hyderabad.
She was in the learners car from the driving institute.
Let go of the clucth a litle early and ended up scrating the side of an Esteem.

The esteem was driven by an elderly man and he started shouting.
The driving instructor told him its a tiny scratch and will not take more than 200 bucks to fix.
My wife calls me up and I rush to Tolichowki.

In the meantime the esteem has gone away but the driver has left his mobile number.
We spoke to him over the phone and he said the workshop estimate was 4k.

The next day I drove down all the way to Malakpet to give him 2k. We had agreed upon this amount as the institutes car had also taken a dent and a busted headlight.
However the institues car had too many dents on it and we were not charged for the headlight by them.

We (my wife and I) were not legally bound to pay any thing.
The instructor was liable for not having paid complete attention to his student.

The other car driver should have seen the prominent L boards on the car and slowed down.

I can make a million excuses.

But morally none will hold up because at the end of the day, the driver who hit this car was my wife.

So we paid up.

What should I have done?
called police, filed insurance and go thru all that.
OR
accept responsibilty and pay up for a mistake. (ESP since the amount in question is so small).
Old 15th July 2008, 14:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
OR
accept responsibilty and pay up for a mistake
. Wish everyone else also thought the same way. Kudos to you bblost.

Last edited by married2speed : 15th July 2008 at 14:36.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:40   #59
BANNED

Quote:
accept responsibilty and pay up for a mistake. (ESP since the amount in question is so small).
Well, if you are talking about taking a morally correct stand then I guess the amount should not be taken into consideration?
Old 15th July 2008, 14:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Gods envy, sorry to read about your experience mate. I guess it was really frustrating for you at that point. I probably wouldn't have taken the money but would have been pretty mad all the same by the lady's lack of acknowledgement that she was at fault.

Quote:
Braking for someone, even when you have the side to go, doesn't hurt. It only takes a second longer to reach the destination.
Quote:
If i were you, I would have simply gotten out my car. examined the extent of damage, and driven off, as in your case.
M2S, hats off to you if you are as cool as you are making yourself out to be - we really need to emulate your actions & there'd be far lesser cases of road rage. I mean, if I'm minding my own business & driving along a main thoroughfare & someone comes & whacks me from my right & I smile & carry on - LOL, as I said, hats off mate

Quote:
FYI - The rule says, please allow traffic on your right to pass. You were on the left. You should have braked and let her go
Traffic coming at right angles across a main thoroughfare ( based on his diagram) gets right of way? You sure about this? To the best of my knowledge, it is only at a roundabout that the traffic on your right gets right of the way

Last edited by suman : 15th July 2008 at 14:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks