Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 15:05   #61
BANNED

What is small is relative. 2 lakhs is small, 20K is small, 2K is small, 200 is small, 20 is small & Rs 2 is small or big depends who is looking into and what they are looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Well, if you are talking about taking a morally correct stand then I guess the amount should not be taken into consideration?
Old 15th July 2008, 15:06   #62
BHPian

the thing is in bangalore the public when ever they see a lady in an incident like this they will rush to help them even if it is their fault this is what i dont like ... u should have humiliated her her verbally.

Last edited by chetan : 15th July 2008 at 15:07.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:16   #63
BANNED

What right anybody has to humiliate anybody else in public? If you want damages, then claim from her insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
... u should have humiliated her her verbally.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the thing is in bangalore the public when ever they see a lady in an incident like this they will rush to help them even if it is their fault this is what i dont like ... u should have humiliated her her verbally.

Where is it any different my friend ?
Old 15th July 2008, 15:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Chetan,
No point in abusing / humiliating anyone. What do we gain by that.
Once this accident happened the only issue is to get the damaged parts set right. I have gone through lots of minor scratches, small dents on my fav WagonR. But everytime i open up and just say to the person to be careful the next time. I mostly forgot about it within next 5/10 mins. Reason being its no point worrying about it and i always put myself in the other person's shoes since i have seen some of my friends get into accident due to their mistakes.

If no trouble brewing from the other party, the best thing in my opinion is to exchange the photocopied papers and move on.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
M2S, hats off to you if you are as cool as you are making yourself out to be - we really need to emulate your actions & there'd be far lesser cases of road rage. I mean, if I'm minding my own business & driving along a main thoroughfare & someone comes & whacks me from my right & I smile & carry on - LOL, as I said, hats off mate
If whacking the c*** out of someone makes the dent disappear or things any better, I won't hesitate to bring my baseball bat out in 1 sec but sigh! it doesn't. No doubt it hurts but at the end of it all, the damage has been done and what I belive in is that one should not let the damage trickle onto himself.
Suman Da, you of all the people would be aware of what happens, here in Delhi or Gurgaon. Who knows you get out to beat the a$$ of someone and instead up getting shot at or end up getting roughed up by a Jat. Is it really worth the effort when we know that insurance would cover most of the expenses. If beating the crap out of someone, dragging them to the police station, getting them arrested, fighting the case, winning, was worth the effort, won't the drivers be a lot more responsible. Instead, what they do is, reach the police station and 1 tries to put the blame on the other. What do you think would have happened in this Scenario. Wouldn't really go this far for a minor scratch. Of course! if it's a irresponsible kid driving or some drunk driver, bring it on baby! But a lady? I would rather spend the money getting the car repaired rather than running around in courts and feeding the vultures.
Also, would you really get off and argue with a lady on the road?
The least thing I would want to return home is without my dignity. These very thoughts keep me away from bashing someone up and also helps in focusing on other issues at hand, like finding a better way to reach my home as both the entry points suck! No luck so far and have to move my darling on a bumpy patch but that's gurgaon, Ain't it?
This apart, let me not be a hypocryte. I do curse inside my car the way people drive and do get ticked off as well, but have learnt to control things inside. Maybe, just maybe, One day I would let off the steam. Who knows! Till that happens, I'm cool.

Quote:
Traffic coming at right angles across a main thoroughfare ( based on his diagram) gets right of way? You sure about this?
Absolutely!! Round about or no round about, the person on your right side should be given the side as the person on the right is watching things to his weaker side, the left side and can have a judgement error. No Harm in stopping and letting someone go through first. Be it the road or the que at the departmental store.

If you look at the diagram again the following 2 scenario's come to my mind
1. Gods-envy was driving close to the median
2. Gods-envy was driving in the middle of the road and moved due to the shattered glass

Scenario 1
If he was driving in the middle of the road, he turned to the right due to the shattered glass, as a result of which, the lady driver would have been unsure as to which way did he wish to go and was caught off-guard. Hence, he should have been almost at a stop-go scenario rather than just swerving his car and avoiding it.

Scenario 2
If he was driving right next to the median, again, in order to view the vehicle coming from the right side, he should have been much slower almost in a stop-go scenario again.
Had that been the case, he would have stopped and the lady would have gone by.

Normally what happens is that we keep on thinking that we have the side and that the other person would stop and this is what leads to a crash. Why not think that the other person will not stop and we should stop. That what I think, right, left and center.

Hope this helps
Cheers!
M2S

Last edited by married2speed : 15th July 2008 at 15:57.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
.. u should have humiliated her her verbally

Are you sure? Ever tried doing that to someone my dear friend?
@ Mods- The intention of posting back to back threads wasn't there. Read after posting my thread. Tried deleting it, but wasn't able to. Please merge with previous reply

Last edited by married2speed : 15th July 2008 at 16:03.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
If whacking the c*** out of someone makes the dent disappear or things any better, I won't hesitate to bring my baseball bat out in 1 sec but sigh! it doesn't.
Was anyone advocating beating the c.r.a.p. out of anyone? Besides, talking of good old Gurgaon, if we keep turning the other cheek on a daily basis (as you're suggesting), pretty soon we'd have to bare cheeks 3 & 4, wouldn't you say?

I don't get off the car to get shot though LOL
Quote:
This apart, let me not be a hypocryte. I do curse inside my car the way people drive and do get ticked off as well,
Now you're talking
Quote:
Absolutely!! Round about or no round about, the person on your right side should be given the side as the person on the right is watching things to his weaker side, the left side and can have a judgement error.
That's your interpretation mate but the law governing driving here doesn't say so AFAIK. If the guy coming from the right is almost through, then yes, its prudent to let him through.

By the way, have you noticed that a lot of people do not realize that their car is actually rolling forward & that is also what caused these kind of scrapes?

Also, do read his posts & give gods-envy his due - he's already clarified that he did not swerve violently but did it gradually because he was already aware that there was glass on that side.........

Last edited by suman : 15th July 2008 at 16:20.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:13   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What is small is relative. 2 lakhs is small, 20K is small, 2K is small, 200 is small, 20 is small & Rs 2 is small or big depends who is looking into and what they are looking at.
You misunderstood - what I meant was that if a moral stance is being taken, the value at hand should not be considered. Anyway this is way OT.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Was anyone advocating beating the c.r.a.p. out of anyone
Be cool and let it drift or beat the c.r.a.p out of the person who's knocked yourz over. Is there a 3rd kind? Oh Yeah! talking things over. That really does help

Quote:
Besides, talking of good old Gurgaon, if we keep turning the other cheek on a daily basis (as you're suggesting), pretty soon we'd have to bare cheeks 3 & 4, wouldn't you say?
Remember the movie, Munna Bhai. Allow me to quote, " Jab dono gal par parh jaye, tow kya karna hai, woh ghandi ji ne nahin bataya." Same 800 whacking my city time and again- won't let it happen the 3rd time. I'm patient not crazy although POA would have to be decided on the extent of damage. Again, had it been a lady, I would blame myself for letting it happen.2 different sides of the coin.
Also receiving knicks every now and then, doesn't argur well as a driver.

Quote:
I don't get off the car to get shot though
You don't have to, you have the beast to muscle around

Quote:
That's your interpretation mate but the law governing driving here doesn't say so AFAIK. If the guy coming from the right is almost through, the yes
Did you say, the law? Seriously, the mods really need to allow more than 2 smiles per post. Suman Bhai, the law is our own conscience. Isn't it?

Quote:
Besides, have you noticed that a lot of people do not realize that their car is actually rolling forward & that is also what caused these kind of scrapes?
Oh yeah! but that not what's happened here. None the less, for the record, I leave a good amount of space in front of my car. Zoom up ever so slight and come back at a whoosh! to scare the back side of the person behind me. Leave with a ear to ear grin. LMAO.

As for god-envy, I did give him a sympathy shoulder but his act of arguing with a lady is "debatable".
About his drive, if he saw the glass and even if I do re-consider his "swerve", violet or gentle as that maybe, that is only for the traffic coming at his back, so that they don't get off-guard. What about the rest of the people. People at a 90 degree angle and without sounding chauvistic, a lady driver, do you really think she would know that he's changed lanes?
AFAIK, he should have been in a stop-go position. That being said, not saying that it's not the lady's fault. Both are at fault but gods-envy just a tad more. Arguement with a lady. No NO NO NOO my friend!
Old 15th July 2008, 16:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Traffic coming at right angles across a main thoroughfare ( based on his diagram) gets right of way? You sure about this? To the best of my knowledge, it is only at a roundabout that the traffic on your right gets right of the way
Well.. thats not what the rule says, but its the sensible thing to do, since I would be on the blind side for driver coming from the right. I slow down all the time when I face this situation. After all, whats a 10 second delay compared to an avoidable dent and the unwanted stress!!

Some times its even funny when both of us stop to let the other go thru
Old 15th July 2008, 16:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also receiving knicks every now and then, doesn't argur well as a driver.
Agreed but in a real life situation, how many of those nicks would people be receiving almost on a daily basis while stationary? Nothing about auguring well for the driver or otherwise I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Well.. thats not what the rule says, but its the sensible thing to do,
Exactly my point......
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
That's your interpretation mate but the law governing driving here doesn't say so AFAIK. If the guy coming from the right is almost through, then yes, its prudent to let him through.

Last edited by suman : 15th July 2008 at 16:53.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:45   #73
BHPian

Quote:
spadival;904345]Well.. thats not what the rule says, but its the sensible thing to do, since I would be on the blind side for driver coming from the right. I slow down all the time when I face this situation. After all, whats a 10 second delay compared to an avoidable dent and the unwanted stress!!

Some times its even funny when both of us stop to let the other go thru
Thank you

@ Suman da: You're statement is like a 2 sided sword.... slippery However a driver receiving knicks, daily, stationary or otherwise, only suggests that he's oblivious to the traffic around him. Adaptability is an entirely different topic yet but yet, significant to the cause.

As for
Quote:
Well.. thats not what the rule says, but its the sensible thing to do,

You do happen to agree with this thought but what about the not so sensible thing that gods-envy did by demanding a lady to step out of the car?

Last edited by married2speed : 15th July 2008 at 16:58.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I'm having a tough time controlling my laughter reading what everyone has to say. It's so so funny. I guess gods-envy just came for a sympathy shoulder on the forum guys, let's give him one. We feel sorry for you bro'.
hey married2speed, chill dude, this episode is over me.
Quote:
Now that you probably feel better, answer this : How would you feel if your mum or sister were to hit someone's car and that guy walked upto them and demanded them to get out of the car?
I would not use the term demand here buddy!! Infact when I was talking to the lady, I was using the terms "Madam", "Please", etc etc
I was requesting her that she pay for my damages, thats all.
Also if my wife or sister were in a similar situation, I am sure they would have called me at that point in time. I would ask them whose mistake was it ? Obviously I would try to come to the scene. If its really major, I would have just ask the other person to go with the insurance. If it's something minor, I would just pay him off some compensation. I know it's not right, but still its better than going to the cops and bribing them and then they would keep my car in the police station for days etc etc. And this would cause a lot of trouble.
Quote:
My point is, that the damage to your car was already done, what was the need of arguing with a lady. What did you get? What good was going to come? Did you feel any better after the arguement? 500 bucks made you richer? No, you didn't feel any better in any sorta way and your car was still damaged and probably the lady cursed you (maybe behind your back)and got away with it. With women, you can't really win and had she been a sensible or shall I say "classy/sophisticated/intelligent/considerate/blah blah blah..../the good woman" , she would have automaticallly stepped out of the car and apologised to you. So why bother?
dude, no one feels better after an argument, I am the kind of person who avoids an argument at any costs. But in this scenario the lady was acting over smart and accusing me of reckless driving and also indecent talking. (which is not true!!)
I know at the end, I have not gained anything. Well, I am sure she would be cursing me for paying me Rs 500, but then again if she really gave some thought to her driving, after this episode she would think about the same and maybe try not to make the same mistake again.
Forget the money bit dude, there is a bit of emotion here.But again think of it like this. It's your love (car) and you have been taking the best care of it from the time of delivery and one fine day, one person jams it.
Quote:
With women, you can't really win and had she been a sensible or shall I say "classy/sophisticated/intelligent/considerate/blah blah blah..../the good woman" , she would have automaticallly stepped out of the car and apologised to you. So why bother?
M2S, A personal question, have u been in a similar situation ? I mean have you either banged into another's car or have been banged by? Let me know what you did at that time.
Quote:
If at all you really really needed to put the blame on someone, you should have done what I wrote in earlier, note down the details of the car and call the cops. What are they there for? What do you or everyone else pays insurance for?
yes agreed that I should have taken up the case to the cops and claim the insurance, but then again, the cops would in all probability have favoured the lady driver; you know the funda. And also not to forget the bribe that I would have to pay them.
Quote:
So let's just forget what happened there and who's fault was it. Just Cheer up bro'. Cheer up and be extra careful the next time. Braking for someone, even when you have the side to go, doesn't hurt. It only takes a second longer to reach the destination. Just imagine, Had you braked, how much of this you could have saved and instead of writing, accident caused by a lady driver, you could have written, narrow escape.
M2S
Dude, I am a responsible driver and always have my eyes on the road; dont use mobile phones while driving and also follow traffic rules 100%. I always brake for others. Like I have already said, I have forgotten this episode already.
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Old 15th July 2008, 17:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

And not to forget that the vehicles will remain in police custody till the claim is settled( lost spares/ acc in PS not countable)

Clearly by your pic you are in teh correct Go
When we drive on the road, a lot of things happen, some due to our mistake and some due to others. But civility is the name of the game, if its ones fault, one should accept and bear the damages.
NO this is incorrect . Both the vehicles will be released after RTO Inspection (Brake Inspection as the trasporters fraternity call it) - which generally happens the next working day or max two. After my accident my vehicle got released the next day itself.

Going by your picture, you are clearly correct gods-envy. People JOINING flowing traffic need to look for a GAP in oncoming traffic - and only then join - not plunge headlong into flowing traffic expecting the oncoming traffic to stop. I would clearly have gotten my entire car repaired if this had happened to me. It has nothing to do with chivalry. I will be chivalrous with a 'Lady' - just being a female of any species does not guarantee you that!

I know how it feels to be spending money for someone else's mistake. It is very easy to sermonise!

Last edited by kb100 : 15th July 2008 at 17:28.

Most Viewed