Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 17:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

If you are worrying more about outside of car rather than inside, you will always in mental tension. If you have car, always maintain inside of car more than outside, you will have lot of peace, my two cents.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
@ Suman da: You're statement is like a 2 sided sword.... slippery
M2S, I rest my case at this point. I also think you got the quotes mixed up in your last post - you quoted Spadival but directed your question at me.

Let me say this - its great to sermonize about "ladies", mothers & sisters but as I've also posted on another thread, if the behaviour of the person is not "ladylike", I would only look at her as a "female" & let it pass - not sure if I'd give the respect due to a "lady".

The fact remains that the "lady" was coming onto a main road & it should have been she who should have waited. Instead of expecting the person who was driving down that road to do so. That's common driving sense. Blind side etc notwithstanding.

Anyway, as I said already, hats off to you if you would have coolly gone on your way after doffing your hat. LOL. I support Gods-envy in all that he did - except asking for the money.

To each his own.......

Last edited by suman : 15th July 2008 at 17:45.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:16   #78
BHPian

Sorry to hear this gods-envy, I know this is frustrating, more for the attitude than the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
i have been folowing up with this thread right from its first post and the title which mentions ( lady driver in brackets).
tell me one thing if the accident would have been caused by a male driver would this have been written in brackets particularly.
I think the intention in specifying a lady driver has to do with who is perceived weaker on the road - not just a lady, but a smaller vehicle, a poorer looking person etc.
I had a guy in shoddy looking clothes and two women on board his rusty old scooter come and rear end my stationary Santro in a traffic jam, causing a dent on the freshly touched up car. All three on the scooter initially said their scooter did not even touch my car. When I insisted they changed tack and said they did not do it deliberately. And welcome to the crowd, who took the line the guy was poor and uneducated - I failed to understand what has education to do with not driving responsibly and then not shelling out money for the repair.
I asked the good samaritans who had free advice on the road to contribute for the cause of the poor man and no one was willing to do that! At the end, I moved out without taking a penny, but my intention was that the man at least should consider the pain in paying out the money for repair.

On another occasion, a man in his white car with his kids again rear ended my car. We pulled on the side and my bumper had some damage. He said he was sorry it happened but had no money at the spot. I could have insisted to go to an ATM etc., but he was courteous enough for me to let it go. he gave me his number and asked to call when I get it repaired. I called after 10 months just casually, never expecting a response, and he promptly transferred 1.2K into my account. I think it has more to do with egos than anything else.

On another occasion, an auto cut wildly from the left to overtake my car and then stopped before me at a traffic junction. A young lady in burkha sitting in the back seat turned around and started throwing abuses at me for no reason. I was startled and made some lip movements myself. But what is one supposed to do in some situations? - where the weak is always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Legally, the driver of the other car is NOT liable to pay you any money for damage, irrespective of whether its her fault of not. Their insurance company is the one who will pay you. Thats precisely why third party insurance is mandatory in India. I think it was inappropriate to ask the lady to step out and pay you money. The best way is to exchange insurance, registration and driving licence details, register a police complaint and move on.
Can some guru please enlighten what is the correct procedure to be followed step by step? Both parties going to the police station will only mean more argument at the PS. If someone were reasonable enough, you would never need to go to the PS in the first place, right? How does police decide who was right and who should pay?
Who should claim for third party damage from the offending driver - is it the aggrieved party? And should this be done after the police decides who was at fault? Will court be involved?
Old 15th July 2008, 20:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post

Normally what happens is that we keep on thinking that we have the side and that the other person would stop and this is what leads to a crash. Why not think that the other person will not stop and we should stop. That what I think, right, left and center.

Hope this helps
Cheers!
M2S
This is something that i follow on the crowded streets of bangalore atleast during the rush hours/blind curves/medians/roundabouts.. This will avoid accidents and frustration for me as well as others!
Old 15th July 2008, 22:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
M2S, I rest my case at this point. I also think you got the quotes mixed up in your last post - you quoted Spadival but directed your question at me.
Not quite Suman da but let's just put this to rest. For the rest of your thought, we'll save this for Another day, another time. As you rightly say, to each his. Period. However, out of curiousity, I would have loved to get a womans point of view on this, a female member on the forum.

Quote:
This is something that i follow on the crowded streets of bangalore atleast during the rush hours/blind curves/medians/roundabouts.. This will avoid accidents and frustration for me as well as others!
Old 16th July 2008, 10:47   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Both parties going to the police station will only mean more argument at the PS. If someone were reasonable enough, you would never need to go to the PS in the first place, right? How does police decide who was right and who should pay?
Who should claim for third party damage from the offending driver - is it the aggrieved party? And should this be done after the police decides who was at fault? Will court be involved?
The Police do not have authority to decide who should pay whom. Exchange details (DL, registration number, insurance), register the accident with the nearest police station and contact your insurance company. They will take it up from there.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
M2S, I rest my case at this point.
Suman, are you a lawyer on vacation ? You seem to be resting quite a few cases these days.

@GTO.. What if the other party does not have insurance or is not willing to divulge details ? this is so common in India. People never own up to a mistake.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

The RTO inspector will decide whose fault.

As long as you have an FIR and the vehicle registration number, its not upto the person to divulge details, they will be taken from his Insurance company.

If he doesnt have any insurance, then again its Illegal and necessary action can be initiated by the police for it + it gives them more opportunity !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Suman, are you a lawyer on vacation ? You seem to be resting quite a few cases these days.

@GTO.. What if the other party does not have insurance or is not willing to divulge details ? this is so common in India. People never own up to a mistake.
Old 16th July 2008, 21:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
i have been folowing up with this thread right from its first post and the title which mentions ( lady driver in brackets).

tell me one thing if the accident would have been caused by a male driver would this have been written in brackets particularly.

i agree with the fact that the driver only gave rs 500 as if she was offering some charity but may be a male driver would not have offered anything at all or may be he would even have born the cost of repairs.

i mean the situation depends completely on the individual. Bashing up, skills of lady drivers on this forum where there are a few ladies and most of them are very good drivers, i feel they do not deserve this type of generalisation when it comes to lady drivers being bad or good.

it is always a thing of ifs and buts. so it would be appropriate not to generalise when it comes to lesser mortals like us.

just my two frustrated cents.
Agree with you that the thread went off the track. And also the fact that the generalization about the driving skills is wrong.

Honestly speaking, I have seen good female drivers on the road and even one I just avoided rear ending Maruti Omni when I was on Bajaj spirit ( 4 years ago ). NO fights. She drives Omni and carries kids to school and one of the best dirvers wheather male or female driving kids to school.

But here the worst part was the lady not accepting mistakes. Yes, were it a male driver, it could have been uglier.

And I certainly dont agree with the fact " lesser mortals ".

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th July 2008 at 21:17.
Old 16th July 2008, 23:08   #85
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
By the time she would have seen me, I was already on the right side, i did not swerve suddenly. I had moved gradually from the middle lane to the right much before. Remember I mentioned that I had already passed that road and I knew exactly where the glass peices were.
Your original post gves a different impression, though. Here is the relevant quote from that post:

Quote:
I came to a small crossroad (there was lot of glass pieces strewn on the road, because of some previous accident). I was trying to be extra careful and came slightly to the right to avoid those glass pieces. I could see that a car (Gold color- old model santro)was coming from the other side perpendicularly, about to join the same road.

Just as I cleared the glass pieces and was about to get back on normal speed, this santro jammed right into my right-fender.
You state that you first reached the junction, then "came to the right". You also seem to state here that you slowed down explicitly to avoid the glass pieces and then were "about to get back to normal speed" after clearing the glass pieces. If you were to the right all along, why wouldn't you be at normal speed when you crossed the junction?

It also appears to me that your attention might have been focussed too much on the glass pieces and not sufficiently to what was happening to your right. Otherwise, you might have been able to see that the lady was committed to getting into your lane and probably was not in a position to stop at that stage. The quote above does show that you saw the lady crossing the junction.

The reason for my being a bit critical here is that at your slow speed, you should have been able to avoid this accident. And she did hit the front portion of your car, meaning that you should have been able to see her intentions very clearly and anticipated trouble well in time.

Anyway, the moment your car is fixed and back to normal, you can put this accident out of your mind (but not the lessons learnt) and move ahead.
Old 18th July 2008, 10:04   #86
BHPian

hey rks,
whether i was wrong or she was wrong, i am not able to recollect now. (it happened so suddenly that day and also now it's almost a week old)
maybe it was my mistake, maybe it was her mistake, maybe it could have been avoided.

Anyways, like how you said, I have learnt something new and have moved on
will try to be lot more careful from next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks