Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Accident because of bad driving (lady driver)

I was on my way to work after dropping my wife. I came to a small crossroad (there was lot of glass pieces strewn on the road, because of some previous accident). I was trying to be extra careful and came slightly to the right to avoid those glass pieces. I could see that a car (Gold color- old model santro)was coming from the other side perpendicularly, about to join the same road.

Just as I cleared the glass pieces and was about to get back on normal speed, this santro jammed right into my right-fender.
I was so damn angry, I immediately asked her to stop the car and get down and I was taken by surprise when she declined.
She had stopped the car but was not ready to get down from the car. I mean, I was so damn angry and asked her to just get down so that we can talk.
She was with her mother (or mother in law or someone elderly). Once she got down, I told her to simply pay for my damages to my car. She was like, why should I pay, its not my mistake etc etc.and started blaming me that I was the one who hit her car.
I tried to stay calm and explained to her logically, that if I had hit her it would be her fender which would be damaged and my front right corner(her car's left corner jammed into my right fender). But she refused to listen. By this time, there was a huge crowd of people who wanted to settle the issue (help the lady in distress).

I was pretty clear, I told her to pay for my damages. So she was like No, it was no my mistake and let's go to the police station; I was like, I am OK with going to the police station which is when people there started advising her to not go to a police station and just forget the episode and go away; and that such things happen always in Bangalore.

Seeing the number of people who started to support her, she started accusing me of rash driving and indecent talking. This really pissed me off. And she even started saying that such things are common in bangalore and you should live with it. This really irritated me, I told her that it might be common for you but not for me. I have been driving for ages and have not made such silly mistakes. (Usually drive in the 1500rpm/30-40kmpl range only)

Anyways finally after lot of unecessary talk, the elderly lady gave me some money (just Rs 500).I mean, what is Rs 500 going to suffice for a thorough tinkering and painting job.

Just dropped my car for service at Green Tracks. The service advisor there told me that it would cost me Rs 2800 for the tinkering and painting :((

Is there any other company who would do a good job for a much lesser price ?

Conclusion from today's incident :-
- When a man and a lady meet with an accident, the man is always at fault. :(, No matter what

snaps of the damage to the fender
Attached Thumbnails
Accident because of bad driving (lady driver)-fender.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 16:15   #2
BHPian

Wouldn't it be better to file a complaint instead of accepting money from them ? Just a thought about handling arrogant drivers
Old 14th July 2008, 16:21   #3
BHPian

I am sorry for your damage.
Were there any cops vissible at that location? Any person with normal senses can understand whoses mistake it was from the pictures.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

it is not major.
know someone in koramangla who could do it for much less.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

A very sad incident.

1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post

Seeing the number of people who started to support her, she started accusing me of rash driving and indecent talking. This really pissed me off. And she even started saying that such things are common in bangalore and you should live with it. This really irritated me, I told her that it might be common for you but not for me. I have been driving for ages and have not made such silly mistakes. (Usually drive in the 1500rpm/30-40kmpl range only)
A very bad situation. It can lead to very disastrous outcome. Believe me, you should have taken photograph of the Santro with number plate. This can give more pressure on the culprit.

2)
Quote:

Anyways finally after lot of unecessary talk, the elderly lady gave me some money (just Rs 500).I mean, what is Rs 500 going to suffice for a thorough tinkering and painting job.

Just dropped my car for service at Green Tracks. The service advisor there told me that it would cost me Rs 2800 for the tinkering and painting :((
You should have given the elderly lady her 500 Rs. back accompained with a one rupee coin. Jokes apart, this was bad behaviour from some elderly person. In fact when the lady started accusing you of rash driving, the elderly person should have stopped her there only.

3)
Quote:

Conclusion from today's incident :-
- When a man and a lady meet with an accident, the man is always at fault. :(, No matter what
This is unfortunately what we have to live with.

4)
I know this is not a correct place to write an Incident my frined ( right now in Canada ) faced, but its very identical to what you have faced.
Near a T junction in Vadodara that is 5 mtrs away from Police station, my friend was waiting for traffic to clear, so that he can cross the road ( he was on Bike ). But then came an Alto with four girls, and apparently the girl driving the car lost control and the car was straight heading into the bike. My friend moved out and the front right wheel of alto was ran over his bike. He asked the girl to get out and see what happened, but she refused and wanted to go away, but my friend after losing his cool, immediately took off the keys of Alto and threw away.

After this the Police, ( remember only 5 mtrs away from this junction ) came out and screamed at my friend. It was getting ugly. My friend was not ready to bow down. The crowd supported my friend, so the girl was now out of car and then her father came out and gave rs. 50k cheque. My friend got angry and damaged alto by throwing stones and made scratches and gave back that cheque with a one rupee coin.

However, the best thing to do is take photographs and go to police station . Cops will have to take proper action as you have proof.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident and definitely i think there might be some garages where you can get it tinkered for a lesser amount but check for the finish.
On residency road yesterday i was knocked from behind by a 800 guy and luckily nothing major happened as he touched the bumper and knocked off its screws and all the driver had to say was my leg got stuck on the gas pedal. Phew! it was not a major damage else it would have been a nightmare again to get it rectified.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 14th July 2008 at 16:26.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident.. But you have left the lady driver very lightly! You should have made sure she comes with you to the service center to pay for the damages or else gone to the police leaving the vehicles at the accident spot so that they get a fair idea of who was at fault.
The biggest problem with crowds is that they don't analyze who is at fault before they take sides which is very annoying and if its a big crowd, its very difficult to make them understand as well!
Old 14th July 2008, 16:26   #8
BANNED

You can claim from her car's insurance. Please follow the formalities specified by her car's insurer. You will need:
1. Photocopy of her DL
2. Photocopy of her car's RC
3. Photocopy of her car insurance.
4. (If needed)Photocopy of FIR lodged.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:28   #9
BHPian

So let me get this straight: You accepted 500 rupees from an elderly lady for a minor fender bender? And even you admit that you were avoiding some glass on the road, so your car was not really were it should have been right?

I hope that you think the arguing and tamasha was worth Rs.500 from an old lady. That is not cool dude. Did you really need the money?
Old 14th July 2008, 16:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
it is not major.
know someone in koramangla who could do it for much less.
hey iceman91, i know it does not look major, but the problem is the damage on the wheel arches that need to worked upon and also the design which is present on the fenders for the 1.6 sports version.

could you please PM the details of that person who would do this job?

Another view of the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Accident because of bad driving (lady driver)-fender2.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 16:34   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Doesnt look like a big damage luckily
suggest you leave it be for the time being because if you get it tinkered and painted they will try and change the panel itself and charge you for it. the cost will go up.
if possible and it is actually better to change the panel itself, then claim insurance.
I know you will lose the no claim etc for no fault of yours, but why pay for the damage and also pay an insurance premium if you cant claim.
In cases like this, best to click photos with the mobile - take snaps of the incident, of the offending car/ vehicle, of the road conditions and direction from which the offender came and of course the number plate. Demand the offenders insurance / RC copy and license (if possible).
Then park the vehicles, lock up and call the cop if there is one nearby or if not, file and FIR. Best way to get proper recourse but this method is inconvenient and involves a lot of time, which is why most people do an out of court settlement on the spot.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident but it's a minor one.

@ RedMM340 - It's not always about the money pal.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

I have once taken Money.

My bike was once run over by a drunk driver in a Zen on a Sunday morning.
I had jumped off my bike before he crashed into it.
The driver decided to make a run for it.
He found me about 50 metres at a T Junction.
Then I dragged him out off his car thru the Window and threw him on the road.

Got 1000 bucks from him. Cost of fixing my bike came to 950.
The extra 50 I guess went for teaching him a lesson.

@Red, its not about the money.
Its about making these idiots understand that they cannot get away with it.

I have once made a biker who broke my bike' tail light waste about an hour with me.
Took his bike keys. Sat in a tea stall reading a book. I had nothing better to do and he was in a hurry. He had no money i.e. 50 Rs, so I made him waste his time.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Whether it is an old lady or a young lady, when they try to use the sex advantage to influence the 'jury', they should be told.

But then from your narrations, we are not clear who made the mistake here.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest to have dry denting done and have the area rubbed properly you wouldn't know the difference
it better that getting the panel painted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks