Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 14:06   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Can you please clarify? How do insurance claims deteriorate the value of a car?
May be the car value might not drastically detiorate (or depricate) but instead you could loose on No Claim Bonus (NCB)- if not claimed then you can have huge bargains on Insurance of your second car.

Under Insurance Topics, this has been discussed numerous times- these would answer your doubts

My advice- Avoid claming Insurance for small things, unless and until it is hard cut on your pockets
Old 17th September 2008, 03:11   #17
BANNED

windshield stone chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
I was driving in my Civic along NH4 from Kolhapur to Dharwad, cruising at about 100kmph. Its an arrow straight road with sparse traffic.
There is this truck cruising in the left lane (following lane discipline for a change). I am about to overtake the truck, and suddenly a stone comes flying from rear wheel of the truck..hits front windscreen...and leaves a decent crack...on passenger side.
Although the windscreen is not completely cracked, and the crack is not obstructing driver's view...still its painful.

I really cant blame the truck driver...or anyone else...its just sheer bad luck :(
Any idea about the cost of Civic front windscreen ?
dude..the same thing happened to me today..i too was driving my civic and a miniscule stone hit my windshield coming off a tempo in front of my car that too on the driver side. though its a very very small chip but its still proving to be an obstruction. now, what is the solution...because i dont want to take insurance as i want the no claim bonus and the renew is due in november. can it be repaired and where in gurgaon.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:17   #18
BHPian

My BIL's car has a similar situation. His Estilo's windshield took a stone's hit on the highway on the passenger side and now there's a small dent in the glass with the cracks going around it in a 2 inch diameter. Even though it looks small, do you think that it's risky in the long run i.e. will the cracks grow on their own or maybe if something hits it again? He is not planning to repair it in the near future as its on the passenger side and not hindering any visuals.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

A lady rearing sheep actually threw a stone at the bolero which made a small crack on the windshield. Its on the passenger side and has been there for 4 YEARS without any problem being caused
Old 17th September 2008, 22:49   #20
BHPian

well this is as freaky as it can get..
my cuz had come to India from UK and we went to Bengali Sweets in Delhi and when we came back and sat in the car and were about to leave the place, there was a fly that was in the car and it was so irritating with its buzzzing, that my cuz thought of smashing it..well it (the fly) sat on the windshield and my cuz with all the concentration and stealth hit the fly with the palm of his hand..the fly was eventually smashed but it also lead to crack in my Astra's Windshield..and we were like what the heck
My cuz felt very bad and the next day when i got up, i see that he had already replaced the windshield..
that was real freaky..as the glass just got a crack..just like that..
Old 17th September 2008, 23:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

in all probability there was already a crack in the glass that opened up with his thrust. it's not possible to crack the car glasses. specially the windshield. they are very strong.
Old 17th September 2008, 23:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
in all probability there was already a crack in the glass that opened up with his thrust. it's not possible to crack the car glasses. specially the windshield. they are very strong.
must be something like that, it is still a mystery after all these years..
Old 17th September 2008, 23:58   #23
BHPian

I had a similar experience, I was driving on the Bangalore--Mysore highway and was at speeds of 70-80kmph, when a small stone from the truck in the front of my car shot like a bullet on my windscreen. There was a small dent will 2 cracks of about 5mm near the dent.

My options were either to claim it under insurance for the windscreen or getting in touch with Windshield Experts.

I opted to check with the Windshield Experts, who had the windscreen repaired as new within 2 hours.

The cost, just 800 bucks.

I bet its better than going through the hassels of insurance paperwork.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Do these guys have any branch in Mumbai? How do they patch up the glass? Can you post the pic if possible?
Old 18th September 2008, 12:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
I had a similar experience, I was driving on the Bangalore--Mysore highway and was at speeds of 70-80kmph, when a small stone from the truck in the front of my car shot like a bullet on my windscreen. There was a small dent will 2 cracks of about 5mm near the dent.

My options were either to claim it under insurance for the windscreen or getting in touch with Windshield Experts.

I opted to check with the Windshield Experts, who had the windscreen repaired as new within 2 hours.

Did Windshield Experts removed the cracks also let me know if this is possible
Old 18th September 2008, 13:15   #26
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post

Could you please recommend the guys who did the job on your Windshield?
Thanks!
Old 18th September 2008, 22:32   #27
BHPian

It happened me too 2 times for my Verna,
first one is when I am driving to Hhirdi night at about 1 AM a small stone was thrown from a lorry tyre passing by at Sholapur , stone thrown to my car rear glass very hard , for one second I felt some body thrown stone, when I realized and checked the back glass there is a significant impression on glass, thank got glass not cracked

Second time stone is thrown from a turn taking bike , hit my car driver side door, this time the impression look like a snake bite.

Yep , I do fully agree its unadulterated bad luck to have such incidents , why because can be avoid by few Seconds margin
Old 28th October 2008, 20:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Do these guys have any branch in Mumbai? How do they patch up the glass? Can you post the pic if possible?

@kalpeshc: Not sure if they have a branch in Mumbai. Don't have a pic of the process, but what they told me was that they were going to use some kind of a liquid and then heat up only the section of the damage.
Old 28th October 2008, 20:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Did Windshield Experts removed the cracks also let me know if this is possible

As you see in the image, there are several small cracks of about 5mm. All these cracks as well as the center bulls eye were removed.
Freak mishap - windshield crack-crack.jpg
Old 28th October 2008, 21:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
One branch I saw was at Andheri-Kurla road, after the gurudwara, on the left when coming from the WE highway, before the Mahakali caves road left turn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks