Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 08:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mangalore : 11 children die as bus falls into river

Report as per todays TOI

Quote:
The tragedy happened as the bus, carrying 33 persons, run by Bami Lower Primary School at Tenkulipady, approached the wet Ullaibettu-Parari road, 18 km from Mangalore, and careened off the road as its driver Badruddin tried to swerve away from a big pothole.
Source : 11 children die as bus falls into river-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

Wonder when the govt. will get their act together and get our roads repaired .Neta's are way too busy filling their own pockets caring a damn for the country's infrastructure.

May the departed souls rest in peace.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

There will be some cash offered and medical assistance (sic!) for the injured and thats it! The pot hole will remain there and wait for its next victim!

May the soul of the departed ones, rest in peace.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
There will be some cash offered and medical assistance (sic!) for the injured and thats it! The pot hole will remain there and wait for its next victim!

May the soul of the departed ones, rest in peace.
Correctly said. Those gys just simply blame the rain for spoiling the "good" roads they laid.

Poor childrens. I am not sure how many of them are the ONLY children for their lovely parents.

May their soul rest in peace.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

One of the rescuers who jumped into the river right after the bus fell, found that one of the kids he saved was his niece. Here the culprits are the road contractor and the PWD engineers who approved the quality of the roads. Rest assured they will not feel any heat despite this tragedy, after all potholes are always blamed on rain.

Meanwhile, a brand new dam which was supposed to produce 16MW power near Puttur was swept away in flood waters two days back, apparently the foundation gave away killing 6 people. Had it happened during day time, it would have killed 50+ people. BTW, the inauguration was slated for today. About 3 years of shoddy effort cleaned up mother nature in one night. All the contractors and PWD engineers and local politicians are looking for scape goat, mostly rain will be blamed. A dam that can't handle the rain.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Meanwhile, a brand new dam which was supposed to produce 16MW power near Puttur was swept away in flood waters two days back, apparently the foundation gave away killing 6 people. Had it happened during day time, it would have killed 50+ people. BTW, the inauguration was slated for today. About 3 years of shoddy effort cleaned up mother nature in one night. All the contractors and PWD engineers and local politicians are looking for scape goat, mostly rain will be blamed. A dam that can't handle the rain.
Oh no. That was even worse. How much investment would have been made by govt with our hard earned money. What a dam if it cant even escape from water?

I wonder even if we have RTI, Lokyukta and all those formalities to get the culprits (infact no need to get, everyone knows) noting is actually done in effect. Else how can it repeat itself everynow and then.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the rescuers who jumped into the river right after the bus fell, found that one of the kids he saved was his niece...
Thanks God! There are still some good people who put their life in risk for others. May their breed increase.

Quote:
...Meanwhile, a brand new dam which was supposed to produce 16MW power near Puttur was swept away in flood waters two days back, apparently the foundation gave away killing 6 people. Had it happened during day time, it would have killed 50+ people. BTW, the inauguration was slated for today. About 3 years of shoddy effort cleaned up mother nature in one night...
Know its an evil thought, but if this had happened when the people responsible were there, then it would have taught others a lesson or two!!! So this (apart from the pockets of the politicians) is how our tax money is getting spent!!! And even then we have to put up with bad roads / infrastructure and also pay toll free for good roads!
Old 17th August 2008, 14:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

May the kids soul R.I.P. My heartfelt condolences to their family.

Quote:
Here the culprits are the road contractor and the PWD engineers who approved the quality of the roads.
I wouldn't really blame the contractor for this. He had provided the quality depending on the money he got. We need to sue the PWD engineers who approved these roads. Firstly, the govt. wouldn't have sponsored enough funds. On top of it, till the fund reaches the Contractor, it has to pass through many hands and pockets.

Any idea what happened to the driver? I equally blame the driver. Bus drivers around Mangalore (actually N.K and D.K) drive very fast and irrresponsibly, even in ghat sections.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 17th August 2008 at 14:57.
Old 17th August 2008, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Feel really bad for parents of children who died in this accident.
Leaders, pwd engineers,contractor and that bus driver are responsible for this accident.
Someone [ read military] should teach lesson to these people.
Old 17th August 2008, 17:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think it makes no difference for the offenders they make money and are ready with a scape goat... Best example is the Shiradi ghat's road condition...

I think we the people have to be blamed, cause we are taking s@#% from these guys and still doing nothing about it...
Old 17th August 2008, 17:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is old news (3 days back). Very sad to here this. Deepest condolences to their families. May the souls RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I wonder even if we have RTI, Lokyukta and all those formalities to get the culprits (infact no need to get, everyone knows) noting is actually done in effect. Else how can it repeat itself everynow and then.
Lokyukta catches the culprits. But the prosecution will never happen of those corrupt officials captured as these guys will have links with the Govt an they know the escape route. Recently read in TOI that a Govt official caught when he was a SI taking bribe. the actual hearing of the case cameonly when he became a DGP a good 20~25 years after he ws captured. Such is the justice level in our country.
Old 17th August 2008, 20:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

On serious note, I would completely agree with what Lohit has to say. But then Lohit what can you and I do it ? Nothing period. Continue to pay our taxes , crib when such an incident happens and then write about it here on tbhp .

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
This is old news (3 days back). Very sad to here this. Deepest condolences to their families. May the souls RIP.
LOL dude,this thread was posted on the 15th when it was in the news.You come back post today and say this old news . hahahaha !!!

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 17th August 2008 at 20:10.
Old 17th August 2008, 22:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
On serious note, I would completely agree with what Lohit has to say. But then Lohit what can you and I do it ? Nothing period. Continue to pay our taxes , crib when such an incident happens and then write about it here on tbhp .
I agree, but once people get together and question am sure offenders will get scared, atleast they will know that they will be questioned and wont be let off easily...
Old 17th August 2008, 22:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

I feel very sad to hear this,recently there was a bus which fell in river and now this,RIP to the poor sould,i just hope god gives strength to the parents who lost their loving childrens :(
Old 18th August 2008, 20:52   #14
BANNED

Eminent Journalist E.R. RAMACHANDRAN writes, Chaltha hai. Hogli bidi. Good karma. Bad karma.

How is it that our towns and villages are happily ravaged by floods every monsoon? Or rumour of a landslide can result in a stampede at a shrine?

How is it that bus drivers can race against a moving train at railway level crossings? Or a busload of school children can meet a watery grave? Or a whole classroom can be roasted alive?

Most of these ghastly incidents are avoidable. But looking at the sickening regularity with which they dot our newspapers and television screens, you have to wonder whether we learn any lessons at all.

I doubt it.

On the other hand, what is our reaction most times?

1. Chaltha hai: We are a developing country; these things happen because we are not disciplined and the administration is slovenly and has a ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude.

2. Karma: You can’t avoid death. People pay for their past deeds in earlier birth and we can’t do anything except await our own turn.

3. Corruption: The fitness of vehicles; the validity of licenses; overloaded vehicles; coracles bursting with tourists run by kids who themselves can’t swim. There is no rule that can’t be bent for a price.

4. Rules are not for us: Be it the rich kid who gets drunk and nonchalantly mows down people with his Land Cruiser™, or students who go out on a weekend ignore the ‘Dangerous to swim here’ sign and go for a swim only to get drowned.

Last edited by diabloo : 18th August 2008 at 20:53.

Most Viewed