Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2008, 09:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Whether following traffic rules a problem, it turns out to be fatal for couple?

Following of raffic rules proved fatal to a couple. At a signal in Bangalore, the couple were riding on their bike. As usual after the signal turned red, they stopped their bike. But a speeding lorry had hit they from behind. They died on the spot. The couple had 2 children (6 yrs and 1 1/2 yrs). The children is left at the mercy of their relatives now.

This is the main reason why I do not take out my 2 wheelers most of the times when I venture out in city with family. How much ever careful you are, the other riders are not.

Now, the big question is whether following the traffic rules in cities like us is a problem to loose the life as others does not follow the same?

Here's the snapshot from TOI, 13th August'08:

Speeding vehicle crushes couple

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Promptly following the traffic signal proved costly for a couple on Wednesday morning. Anand (35) and his wife Jyothi (30) were crushed under an earth-moving vehicle when they stopped at the Horamavu junction traffic signal.
Anand, a sales manager in a private company, and Jyothi, an employee at a call centre, living in Ramamurthynagar, dropped their two sons at the school in the morning and were heading to their offices when the signal turned red at Horamavu junction. Anand stopped his vehicle but the driver behind him didn’t and the couple were crushed to death under the wheels of earth-mover.
Old 16th August 2008, 09:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

even a friend of mine had a similar incident. he stopped at a red light , and was mowed down by a KSRTC bus. his legs were broken, and his bike's rear was mangled
Old 16th August 2008, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to see this. I was rear ended once at signal because I stopped when I saw that the signal is red, but no cops were present there, so everyone wanted to go. Fortunately for me, it was a bike that rear ended me. It could be worse. At this particular junction I saw a bike being rear ended by an auto that resulted in a fracture in right hand of the bike rider.

However, the problem is going to remain. Its upto the road usres to get more disciplined. Sometimes I have the same feeling that if I stop, someone will be rear ending me. Even in case of emergency braking, I perefer to brake late, so the vehicles coming from behind have time to react.

To stay away from these safety risk, one need to be very, very cautious irrespective of the vehicle one is travelling in. This is the only way to be safe.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th August 2008 at 10:25.
Old 16th August 2008, 10:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

So bad. Typical incident happened couple of years back in the Thirumangalam Junction in Chennai(It happened to be a much famous "Water Tanker"). Everybody was talking about it for a while, and slowly forgot. And again lorrys started to do same thing. Its not just lorries. But almost all heavy vehicles.
I maximum see that I am not the first person to halt in the red, if sitaution request for that, I move to one side possible.
Old 16th August 2008, 11:19   #5
BHPian

I am really scared about the BMTC buses. They come close to kiss your a**.

Once on the way to KR Puram Railway station, there was a hugh traffic pile up. I was in the right lane and I could see that there was not one following me and then slowly I shifted to the left lane, with indicators and all and stopped my car in the middle lane, as the santro before me had also stopped because of traffic. In my ORVM, I saw the infamous BMTC bus coming in my lane. I was observing it as I didn't have anyhting to do. I was in a tense mood as the driver is not at all slowing down and in the n'th moment, when hes about to kiss my car, he moves to the left lane, and before I could warn him, he was swearing at me. I was shocked and told my family to forget it as these type of incidents are common in bangalore. My only worry was my family was in the car.
Old 16th August 2008, 11:32   #6
jp1
BHPian

The other day, a bike hit me on the FOOT PATH, luckily nothing much happened to me. The guy did not bother and continued riding on the foot path as though nothing happened. And following him, at least few otehrs as though they are doing a rally on the foot path.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yaar, that is the reason why I request my friends to blip the brakes MUCH BEFORE the signal, and see RVM before actually fully braking. You never know when the hero behind you notices you too late, but his 2ton SUV doesnt.
Old 16th August 2008, 13:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

This news is 3 days old. May their souls rest in peace.Poor kids who have been orphaned coz of a negligent driver. Needs to be shot between his legs !!!

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 16th August 2008 at 13:24.
Old 17th August 2008, 02:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

People! forget about taking precautions while stopping for a signal. What will you do when a cop signals you to stop and you get rear ended?

That is exactly what happened to me some 6 years ago. I was coming down the railway overbridge towards the Trivandrum Railway Station, when a cop pops out of nowhere and signals me to stop to allow some vehicles to pass at a traffic circle. While I promptly stopped, the mini lorry behind me couldnt. Luckly nothing happened to me (and my bike). Guess what the police man does? Comes to me and says, "oh nothing happend, you carry on". Then, yells at the truck driver and lets him go as well .

- Jag
Old 17th August 2008, 03:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
This news is 3 days old. May their souls rest in peace.Poor kids who have been orphaned coz of a negligent driver. Needs to be shot between his legs !!!
Ouch!! That hurt.

Dad was once rer ended by a speeding Taxi. He was in his Aramda. The armada was dented in the back but the taxi was totalled. It was a wonder that the driver survived. It happened at the Airport Signal.

Guys, remember, when you are first at a traffic signal and there is no one behind you, PLEASE put on your hazard lights.

Also, I really really pity the poor kids. RJ, you have my nod to shoot the guy in his family jewels.
Old 17th August 2008, 03:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post

Guys, remember, when you are first at a traffic signal and there is no one behind you, PLEASE put on your hazard lights.
I don't think that's necessary. Why to create new rules and confuse more people.
Old 17th August 2008, 04:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad. Unfortunately, this is the case with everyone who wants to obey the traffic laws. Obeying a signal is a very very basic thing and our people have so much of trouble in complying with that. God only knows what anyone would achieve in those couple of minutes that anyone saves in jumping a signal. Our enforcement system sucks big time in addition to the indisciplined motorists and even the lord cannot save our country.

May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
Old 17th August 2008, 08:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Forget loory drivers I had a close call yesterday with a red wagon r who jumped the signal when it was green for me. I hit his car on the rear door and it has left some nasty brusing on the bumper of my car.
Old 17th August 2008, 10:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

These incidents are far too common.

What makes me so angry is the the bus and truck drivers have, effectively, immunity. Even at a police-controlled junction one can see bus drivers ignoring red light and traffic policeman and just driving through. If it was a car, the police would be after them; the bus is ignored.

I think those who work for the public should be setting example by following the rule, and it should be enforced by police and their employers, but it is an empty dream.
Old 17th August 2008, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

You don't need a 2 ton SUV to do all that damage. A puny 800 is also quite capable of inflicting fatal results if the rules are not followed properly..

And please, I'm not starting a debate on SUV Vs others.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yaar, that is the reason why I request my friends to blip the brakes MUCH BEFORE the signal, and see RVM before actually fully braking. You never know when the hero behind you notices you too late, but his 2ton SUV doesnt.

Last edited by gd1418 : 17th August 2008 at 10:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks