Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2005, 19:44   #1
BHPian

City vs Baleno vs Lancer

Machines:
2000 Honda City 1.5 EXi driven by: ME!!
2002 Suzuki Baleno driven by: one quick woman!!
old looking Mitsu Lancer driven by: old looking guy!!

I was out the other day for a midnight drive. was planning to call a friend and race a little on the then deserted airport and ring road stretches, but I couldn't get through to him, so decided to go solo. I was on the ring road cruising at around 140km/h coming from Whitefield to K'mangala when hat do I see? A Lancer and a Baleno shoot by me trying to outpace each other.
It was obvious that the Baleno would pretty much level the Lancer, but the person (who turned out to be this mid 20's HOT woman) was pretending to let the Lancer do some damage. I thought that I'd join in, and in a couple of seconds I was on the Baleno's tail. The Lancer was pushing pretty hard, and getting somewhere around 160, at which point I eased off a bit, owing to the complete lack of tread in my tyres. But we were coming to an end of the ring road, where the Baleno suddenly spurts ahead, overtakes the Lancer afetr faking right then swerving left, puts on the right turn indicator, and does a perfect 180 handbrake turn and stops just under the light at the Sarjapura road junction. I and the Lancer guy get the message, ad we line up alonng side her.
Suddenly she revvs her engine, and shoots out in front of us, and we follow suit. Owing to the fact that she started forst, I was left a little furthur behind, but then I started pulling away quite easily from the Lancer, and gained very quickly on the Baleno (high end torque of the Honda - gotta love it!!!). Soon we reach the first speed braker, where the Baleno's suspension gets the better of my car, but as we're both carrying speed into the bump, I'm not that far behind.
We started accelerating again, and I finally drew level.As we hit the next patch of road, we sight a sumo and an Elantra doing reletively decent speeds. By now we had hit 150, and were pushing to 160 before the next speed braker. By that time, we started braking again, and I was just ahead of the Baleno. As I took off from the next speed braker, we got close to the two cars. I was on her right, and we were both madly flashing our headlamps. The Elantra must have realised qwhat was happening, cause it speeded up a bit (it was on the left of the Sumo, which was in the first lane) so that I could overtake.
Butthe sumo fella moves right in my path in the second lane to let the Baleno go by. So I had to swerve extreme left and take the outside path, and then swerve into the middle again, as the Elantra moved over ot the 3rd lane, while she went straight and gained some advantage from me. from my RVM I could just abaout see the Lancer, who was pretty far behind by now...
By then we reached the 3rd speed braker, and then she kept up with me, as I only managed to go parallel with her. We turned off at Marathalli and onto the Airport road stretch, where the beginnign of the road was bad, so she pretty much started to pull away.
Finally we hit airport road, and I started catching up again, as she didn't seem very confident handling the curves. she took the inside line, whereas I took the ouside line on the sharp right hander at 85-90 (dangerous I know, shouldn't have done it with my tyres) and over toook her as she braked for the turn. The Lancer ws no where in sight.
We finally headed to the start of MG road(near KIDS KEMP) where we saw a cop bike, so we slowed down. I indicated a left turn, but she went straight. I slowed down and cruised at almost standstill speed (50km/h) on M.G. road, and after what seemed like ages I saw the Lancer behind me. At brigade roads junction, I revved hard, but the guy turned right.
Just goes to show HONDA SUPREMACY!!!!!
PHEW! WHAT AN ADRENALIN KICK!!!!

Gotta do this again with good tyres, but that was woman was QUICK!!!
aveek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2005, 21:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
U bet!! Me getting new tyres too. Would love to catch up with you when i come to Blore next, with my Vtec.

Quote:
PHEW! WHAT AN ADRENALIN KICK!!!!
And it never fails to surprize, does it?? Today, i took my car out for one last high speed drive before i switch to the GIIIs.

4th gear, doing 60kmph, i slam the accelerator and man, even after 48K kms this car still has it. Took it till 160kmph, where i eased off.

For the time being, you can call on Iceman when ever you need some high speed action, you should see his Baleno take off.

With the car in neutral, the tacho shoots to 7000 +rpm like nobody's business. I bet Psycho can 2nd that.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2005, 22:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
4th gear, doing 60kmph, i slam the accelerator and man, even after 48K kms this car still has it. Took it till 160kmph, where i eased off.
Shan2nu
Mine has 1.6 lakhs on the odo and it feels the same as it was the day it was bought! damm i love that car!
Old 15th March 2005, 22:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine has 1.6 lakhs on the odo and it feels the same as it was the day it was bought! damm i love that car!
Is yours a City or a Palio. Just wondering coz you have a Palio as your avatar.

Shan2nu
Old 15th March 2005, 23:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
I was on the ring road cruising at around 140km/h getting somewhere around 160, at which point I eased off a bit, owing to the complete lack of tread in my tyres. Soon we reach the first speed braker, where the Baleno's suspension gets the better of my car, but as we're both carrying speed into the bump, I'm not that far behind.
whereas I took the ouside line on the sharp right hander at 85-90 (dangerous I know, shouldn't have done it with my tyres) PHEW! WHAT AN ADRENALIN KICK!!!!

Aveek ,

with all due respect to your driving skills , driving / racing like a maniac on completely treadless tyres is a very very FOOLISH thing to do ! and with those tyres you carry speeds on the bumps too !!

a good thing is that u realise it - so go and have the tyres changed asap ! not worth risking life and limb .....

yeah i know adrenalin kicks and hot and fast women go hand in hand for us here .....but not worth with bald tyres !

cheerios
Old 15th March 2005, 23:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Aveek ,

with all due respect to your driving skills , driving / racing like a maniac on completely treadless tyres is a very very FOOLISH thing to do ! and with those tyres you carry speeds on the bumps too !!

a good thing is that u realise it - so go and have the tyres changed asap ! not worth risking life and limb .....

yeah i know adrenalin kicks and hot and fast women go hand in hand for us here .....but not worth with bald tyres !

cheerios
I echo those thoughts as well. drive safe.

Drifter
Old 16th March 2005, 08:26   #7
BHPian

is the baleno quicker than the city 1.5??????or r they on the same plane...im not talking bout the vtec..thats in a different class by itself :d
Old 16th March 2005, 09:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

the baleno IS quicker than the city 1.5. no doubts about it.
yeah shantanu the car revs to 7500rpm.
Old 16th March 2005, 11:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the baleno IS quicker than the city 1.5. no doubts about it.
Yes, even in stock for it is.

Shan2nu
Old 16th March 2005, 14:25   #10
BHPian

i doubt tht

I doubt the baleno is quicker than the 1.5

The power delivery is a class apart in the city. Neutral reving is a diff perspective altogether
Old 16th March 2005, 14:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt the baleno is quicker than the 1.5
Well, the Baleno is slightly quicker than the City 1.5 to 100kmph, but then again, the Baleno takes just one upshift compared to the City's 2.

A 0-160kmph drag race would really exlain everything.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2005, 15:16   #12
BHPian

cool stuff aveek. however like others mentioned, i really suggest to get your tires changed right away! & a bit guys but how much should one pay for a 2001/2 baleno done 20-30k? just curious~
Old 16th March 2005, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Yeah I kow bout the tyres... I had to ease off along the bumpy roads... going over the ring road speed braker was just a matter of having the under-carraige scraped a bit (not very good either, and I have no intention of doing it again...)... airport road was easier though... my cars done 80K and it feels great... two accidents, and the engine got replaced in the second one (another story maybe...?!!)... and that current one feels great!! Basically, the engine is 4 years old, the car is five, and both feel awesome!!!

I didn't think a Baleno would be faster - and I'm not including Icemans machine - That could pretty much take on our LCA and probably win too!!! That car is one helluva rocket! The Honda would def. win the 0-160km/h drag. I think I've mentionned somewhere before, the Baleno(Stock, mind you!) has more low end torque, but the Honda has way more higher end torque. And if you dragging, finally, you'll only be in the high end torque category, and the Honda will pull away quicker than the Baleno. MUst be tested sometime tho. I'm gonna try to get Jakkur airport free one of these days when my friend gets back, and then we'll have some fun!!!
aveek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2005, 16:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

well aveek,
you have changed an engine??????
i disagree with you.Agood stock baleno against a stock 1.5 honda will be faster. the only thing which is quicker as of today is the vtec..that also after 100kmph. the baleno has extremely good 1st and 2nd gears....also the baleno 2nd gear is till 120 whereas the vtec is 100. so till then its fater but once the baleno shifts to 3rd its slower than the vtec.(hondas have amazing gearing) whereas a stock baleno with only a modded gearbox is FASTER than a vtec.
Old 16th March 2005, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Ya, I had to... will write about that one shorlty...
Right... man, this puts a slighlty different perspective on the Baleno... scary sounding. Ya, I've seen the 1st and 2nd from the inside... they looked pretty quick, quicker than in my Honda, but I thought that it was just a sorta trick of the eye. hmmm...
Still, I love my Honda, and nothing will ever make me take her off the top of my personal podium form 1st place!!!

Most Viewed