Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 06:13   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
This thread is useless , we will never learn
Not exactly true - many of the educated lot in picture 1 would have also driven in developed countries. Many of the uneducated have been employed as drivers in Gulf countires etc. In both these cases they do not need any special training incentive to be diciplined. But when they are back here, it is back to old tricks. This is questions of flawed mindset
Old 1st September 2008, 06:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now that I recall, you guys should see that entrance to Goethals bridge from NJ side when there is a backup, it is not too different from the first photo.

Can NJ/NY boys snap a picture?
I have one for the Holland tunnel Will that do?
Old 1st September 2008, 10:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

The photograph below was taken yesterday at about 6.30pm in Chembur on the Sion-Trombay highway.

The ruling political party was having a function to welcome their new city chief in one of the banquet halls. The function was probably over and the guys came out on the road. The laid a garland of crackers on the right most lane and held up peak hour traffic (Thank God it was a Sunday). This continued for a long time, maybe it was a 50,000 garland cracker, but even while the crackers were going off, the traffic started moving! Vehicles started to squeeze into the middle lane and traffic moved. I did the same and saw a swanky new Accord with a cop standing next to it frantically asking traffic to move into the right lane and drive off with crackers bursting all over!
Attached Thumbnails
An Indian - On the road-31082008008.jpg  

Old 1st September 2008, 10:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Since the speed is low in the 1st pic, the road can take more vehicles. Since the speed is high in 2nd pic, vehicles have to maintain safe distance from each other and hence the road takes less vehicle.
If speed is more throughput will increase even though vehicle density is reduced. If speed is less vehicles are on the road longer, thus having a cascading effect on the traffic.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I can tell you that Africans driving style is at par with any western country. They dare not jump the red light!
Even AFRICA can do it right!! 2 lanes, 2 lines of vehicles. Simple.
It is was a pleasure driving there. In fact i noticed a few Gujrati people using HORN disturbing the peace of their country.
Here is my proof, i took these pics, I even made a video.
Actually you dont need to go all that far from home to see disciplined driving. Just follow Ram's path to Ravana's erstwhile kingdom just across the Palk Straits and you will see people driving in a disciplined manner.

It isnt very far from India. In fact its closer to the southern states than other parts of India. Yet you see a sea change in attitude on the road.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
Have you all noticed that most cars in the second pic have their headlights on in spite of adequate natural light present? Is this some law or just another example of wasteful energy expenditure (or am I missing something here)?

Yes there is 1 in US, Couldnt remeber the conditions under which it has to be implemented. Probably others can shed more light on it.
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Now, there was not much oncoming traffic, so the cars in the parallel queues started moving forward in spite of the red light. This Swift was trying to follow the rules and stay put waiting for the signal to change. But the cars behind started honking and shouting so much that he finally had to give in to their demands and move forward despite the red signal.
After reading this I glanced at your location and yes I was absolutely right.
Often when the traffic is sparse and the signal is green the vehicles tend to cross the road at very high speed before their signal turns red. In such a scenario these morons from the other side who act over smart to save a minute or two not only put their lives in danger but of others too. On top of this it is a common sight in Hyderabad for 2 wheeler riders to place their helmet(if they have one) on the petrol tank rather than wearing it. I mean all the ingredients are ready for a disaster to occur.
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:56   #38
BHPian

During winter and cloudy season, people turn their headlights as a safety measure.

But safety is not so important in india, because - we believe in God and GOD will save us.
Remember the Pandit they invited for pooja when they bought a new car?
Pandit Pooja = You are invincible and safe and can drive any way you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
meghan[/b]]

Have you all noticed that most cars in the second pic have their headlights on in spite of adequate natural light present? Is this some law or just another example of wasteful energy expenditure (or am I missing something here)?
Too much superstitious and full of rumors is Indian society.

Headlights dont save you mileage.

If people think Headlight ON is bad for mileage, then, wearing clothes and being obese while in a car is just as bad for mileage - because this add to weight to the car.

Some people turn their headlights OFF at night at stop signal. Doesnt help!
It is dangerous to turn lights off at night anyway!

Last edited by aerohit : 2nd September 2008 at 20:00.
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:06   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some people turn their headlights OFF at night at stop signal. Doesnt help!
It is dangerous to turn lights off at night anyway!
When you are waiting at a signal, turning off your headlights, leaving just the parking lights on, is actually easier on the eyes of vehicles from the opposite direction, specially when waiting at a junction.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:02   #40
BHPian

IMO, the biggest problem with Indian Traffic is "Too many laws and too many overstated laws that can never be enforced"
It's the same issue with law and order in general, in this country.Longest written constitution and thus, "too many loopholes"
The motor vehicles act needs a serious revision. We need simple and objective laws that can be enforced.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

To know/understand why we drive the way we do, all you need to do is observe how we behave when off the road, and the parallels will emerge clearly.

1) You are standing in a queue to buy a movie/railway-platform ticket, patiently waiting your turn. Suddenly one smart-aleck rushes over to the front of the queue and thrusts his hand into the counter. As far as he is concerned, all the people standing in the line are just not there.

Sounds familiar ? Translate this to road-behaviour and you would be able to explain the behaviour of those punks who ignore all those waiting patiently at a signal and drive around them to plonk their car/bike in front of them. Or worse, drives on the wrong side of the road to bypass all those waiting at the signal.

2) You are still in the queue to get your ticket. You & others in the line have managed to drill some sense into the guy who was trying to bypass the queue and embarassed, he moves to the end of the queue. The line is moving as fast as the guy at the counter can handle it, but the guy behind you is impatient. He is almost shoving your back, making sounds of impatience and acting as if you are not moving. While the fact is that there is a guy already at the counter transacting business, which needs to complete, before you can move forward.

These are the guys who are ready to wait 110 seconds on the timer-enabled traffic signal, but become impatient at the last 10 seconds as if their life depends on speeding away from the signal as fast as possible.
And on the road, they indulge in revving their engines or honking or gesturing you to move on. It does not bother them that the signal is still red with a few more seconds to go, which means it is green for someone else and moving forward now could lead to disaster.

3) You are walking along the pavement in your city. Yeah, I know, how many roads in our cities have pavements ? Anyway, the pavement is good enough for 2 people to easily walk abreast. But our hero is bent on having all of it to himself (must be the one with the "Yes, it is my Grandpa's road" sticker on his car) and is walking bang in the centre of the pavement. And that too very leisurely. He is strategically positioned himself such that you cannot pass him from either side.

This would be the guy who would straddle both the lanes on a 2-lane road and be driving slowly, maybe even talking on the phone and basically creating a big traffic jam behind him for no valid reason.

4) You are again continuing your walk on the pavement and in front of you are 2 guys walking at a normal pace. You walk behind them maintaining your own steady pace and then when you least expect it, one or both of the guys just come to a sudden stop, for no apparent reason, resulting in you almost banging into them.

These are the ones who when driving on road, stop all of a sudden for no obvious reason or for dropping someone at a curve or in such a way that traffic gets blocked. Honking, swearing, shouting don't work, becaue they are just oblivious to all that.

5) You are again back at the railway station for a ticket. There are just a few of you in the line, with enough space for all to stand comfortably, but the guy behind you just needs to stand in contact with your rear. Also add the occasional poking with the book or bag that he has in hand. He has no idea at all of what personal space means.

This would be the one who would park his car/bus whatever really close to the rear of your car, inspite of the 2 of you being the only ones at the signal.

I am sure there is scope for many more such instances where our behaviour on-road mirrors what we do off it. No wonder we drive the way we do.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also i have to blame old Indian movies for contributing to bad driving culture. You will often see Hero singing a song, hands off the steering wheel, and pee-pee (horn), specially in the older movies, also found in new movies. It eventually becomes a culture.
western movie also show their heroes as reckless drivers at times. But only We are stupid enough to take them seriously and make them our lawmakers when they are done with acting.

by the way, I am told in boston shoulders are used as regular lanes in peak traffic, people taking liberty to drive on it. i was thinking how long it will take before it will start looking like india

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 8th September 2008 at 20:10.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Actually you dont need to go all that far from home to see disciplined driving. Just follow Ram's path to Ravana's erstwhile kingdom just across the Palk Straits and you will see people driving in a disciplined manner...In fact its closer to the southern states than other parts of India. Yet you see a sea change in attitude on the road.
Steeroid,

Yes, the people there are more traffic aware and disciplined than what we get here. Even the tuk-tuk (aka Auto rickshaw) are also well mannered.

It was the bus drivers who are the rogues! Check this out - signal turns red. My friends, driving a Nissan Sunny, slows downs and stops. BANG!!! A bus which was behind him, rams right into the back of the car and the boot is gone, back seat was still visible!

When asked the driver what the hell he was thinking, his statement was - Didnt expect the vehicle to stop in the signal!!!
Old 9th September 2008, 09:18   #44
BHPian

I think the basic problem in India is that (i) we lack any civic sense; we have ZERO concern for or even awareness of others and (ii) the cops are useless in implementing the rules. I think (i) is more at fault. I think it is genetic. If you go to Southall in London, you will see the exact same traffic mess as in any part of India. The rest of London is fairly disciplined, though there is a lot of traffic.
Old 9th September 2008, 10:41   #45
BHPian

No amount of cursing will cure the problem, the only way to resolve this is through educating people, making them aware of problem that is caused by, every body wants to reach at time, but always starts late and disobey the road rules, because they have to reach on time, possible start early and you, relaxed and see a sea change in the way each one drive/ride on the road, bottom line we need to road rules and civic sense in school curriculum , this way the next generation will at least we aware and may try to implement it if not fully than partially.

-Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks