Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 16:14   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Even on this website you are to follow rules or else you get banned, dont you? You may follow rules on this website, but you may not on another. So, it is the enforcement that lacks
Gotta tell you, ever since the Mumbai police started sending drunk drivers to the lockup, I don't know of a single friend / colleague / relative who has the guts to drive in Mumbai after two large. The results are there for all to see; decreasing number of accidents + road deaths.

I am all for strict enforcement. Easier than educating a billion too!
Old 9th September 2008, 16:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with you there GTO. Strong law enforcement is the only language people understand and that is what needs to be done. But the only issue is who will bell the cat?
I was speaking with a couple of guys here and they said that the BMTC bus drivers are suspended for max 3 months if they hit and kill someone and then sent to another route. The maximum insurance that one can get if a govt bus hits your car is Rs 2500 and that too after 3 months.

With these kinds of rules backing them no wonder they openly flout rules.
Old 9th September 2008, 16:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I completely agree with you there GTO. Strong law enforcement is the only language people understand and that is what needs to be done. But the only issue is who will bell the cat?
I was speaking with a couple of guys here and they said that the BMTC bus drivers are suspended for max 3 months if they hit and kill someone and then sent to another route. The maximum insurance that one can get if a govt bus hits your car is Rs 2500 and that too after 3 months.

With these kinds of rules backing them no wonder they openly flout rules.
As long as we get some kind of compensation to heal the wound inflicted, would be great.

At Bangalore, if anyone has a brush with an auto, what would be scenario?? I am not too sure if any of us on TeamB have had such experience.
Old 9th September 2008, 20:16   #49
BHPian

HAHAHAHA - VERY NICE
Have experienced the same all the time, but did not have writing skills to put them in words. Infact, such pathetic are my writing skills, that it is difficult to put such expeience in words......

I want to add - at my workplace elevators, lets say i am in the elevator and going to step out. Also, there are people waiting on the floor outside.

Guess who steps out last? ME.

These people who are waiting outside for the elevator will push me in. They will almost push their body on to mine, and rub their shoulders with mine etc, and run into me - as if they want ot kiss me.

They will never allow people inside the elevator to step out first. They fail to undestand that I should be the first one who should be let out of the hole. Such pathetic is the creature-sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
To know/understand why we drive the way we do, all you need to do is observe how we behave when off the road, and the parallels will emerge clearly.

1) HAHA have expericned this at small grocery stores, where guy will come and ask, he only has 1 item, you got 10, so please let him cut the line, i never let them, be it lady or leda - You are standing in a queue to buy a movie/railway-platform ticket, patiently waiting your turn. Suddenly one smart-aleck rushes over to the front of the queue and thrusts his hand into the counter. As far as he is concerned, all the people standing in the line are just not there.

Sounds familiar ? Translate this to road-behaviour and you would be able to explain the behaviour of those punks who ignore all those waiting patiently at a signal and drive around them to plonk their car/bike in front of them. Or worse, drives on the wrong side of the road to bypass all those waiting at the signal.

2) haha - what i noticed that when i am goign very fast on a fast road, i will notice a vehicle waiting far up to cross the road. He sees you that you are approaching too fast and there can be a collision. He waits patiently.....10 seconds gone.........now you are too close, this is the time he decided to make a move! SCREEECH !! You are still in the queue to get your ticket. You & others in the line have managed to drill some sense into the guy who was trying to bypass the queue and embarassed, he moves to the end of the queue. The line is moving as fast as the guy at the counter can handle it, but the guy behind you is impatient. He is almost shoving your back, making sounds of impatience and acting as if you are not moving. While the fact is that there is a guy already at the counter transacting business, which needs to complete, before you can move forward.

These are the guys who are ready to wait 110 seconds on the timer-enabled traffic signal, but become impatient at the last 10 seconds as if their life depends on speeding away from the signal as fast as possible.
And on the road, they indulge in revving their engines or honking or gesturing you to move on. It does not bother them that the signal is still red with a few more seconds to go, which means it is green for someone else and moving forward now could lead to disaster.

3) HAHA - have experienced this at big Grocery stores, where people leave their shopping carts unattended in the middle of the isle - i always kick it away!- You are walking along the pavement in your city. Yeah, I know, how many roads in our cities have pavements ? Anyway, the pavement is good enough for 2 people to easily walk abreast. But our hero is bent on having all of it to himself (must be the one with the "Yes, it is my Grandpa's road" sticker on his car) and is walking bang in the centre of the pavement. And that too very leisurely. He is strategically positioned himself such that you cannot pass him from either side.

This would be the guy who would straddle both the lanes on a 2-lane road and be driving slowly, maybe even talking on the phone and basically creating a big traffic jam behind him for no valid reason.

4) HAHA have experiened this at the MALLS - You are again continuing your walk on the pavement and in front of you are 2 guys walking at a normal pace. You walk behind them maintaining your own steady pace and then when you least expect it, one or both of the guys just come to a sudden stop, for no apparent reason, resulting in you almost banging into them.

These are the ones who when driving on road, stop all of a sudden for no obvious reason or for dropping someone at a curve or in such a way that traffic gets blocked. Honking, swearing, shouting don't work, becaue they are just oblivious to all that.

5) HAHA - have experienced this at the bank at teller counter - You are again back at the railway station for a ticket. There are just a few of you in the line, with enough space for all to stand comfortably, but the guy behind you just needs to stand in contact with your rear. Also add the occasional poking with the book or bag that he has in hand. He has no idea at all of what personal space means.

This would be the one who would park his car/bus whatever really close to the rear of your car, inspite of the 2 of you being the only ones at the signal.

I am sure there is scope for many more such instances where our behaviour on-road mirrors what we do off it. No wonder we drive the way we do.

Last edited by aerohit : 9th September 2008 at 20:34.
Old 9th September 2008, 21:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:

These people who are waiting outside for the elevator will push me in. They will almost push their body on to mine, and rub their shoulders with mine etc, and run into me - as if they want ot kiss me.
No Buddy, they do not want to kiss you. They equate the elevator to a public bus. If you do not get in quickly, the bus will leave - without you.

Cheers,

Rajan

@Mods: This thread and the thread on street sense in the Street Experinces section are discussing the same issues. Can we merge them?
Old 19th October 2008, 22:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
If you assemble the vehicles on evening Hosur Road in Bangalore road leaving space like that of 2nd picture, you will need the road all the way to Chennai!!
Sorry dude, if all the vehicles can travel in at lest 30-40 KMPH (free flow) with the current infrastructure (6 lane) will be sufficient, but the real problem is else where, Hosur road being a National Highway, you have small roads joining in every 200-500 meters, pedestrians who don't bother about their own life, .... (it's a never ending list)
All we need is awareness, if every one knows the law and willing to obey the law, (still our mindset is we need govt to enforce the law, I will follow the rules only if some one if there to enforce it) then you can reduce it, I'm sure with out the infrastructure it is not possible to achieve 100%, but at lest can we (all indians) do our bit before blaming the authorities
Old 21st October 2008, 09:44   #52

There cannot be more than 3 reasons for any traffic jam(an integrated part of our daily driving here. Dont remember the last time I drove on 4th gear) in Hyderabad.

Reason 1 : Cabs

The city has grown out of limits ,particularly over the last 5 years and so have the companies. Every company offers pick up and drop to their employees which is good ,but driven by absolute idiots of 3rd kind. There are over 1800 travel agencies in Hyd renting cabs and over 10,000 cabs in the city( I am not taking into consideration easy cabs or meeru). I am talking about the plain white indicabs. These guys are insane,rash and care the least for fellow drivers. The most astonishing fact being,every one of them is like that (Fellow hyderabadis can relate well to what i am saying). They can overtake you from anyside, do not follow signals or other traffic rules and the most annoying of all ,they make use of all the space on the other side of the road causing utter mayhem during peak hours. Man I Hate them..!!!

Reason 2 : Autorickshaw

They may have a wheel less ,but they are no less in causing chaos. Every scratch on my car is because of these idiots.The neither can be educated nor eradicated.

Reason 3 : No Driving Sense

Driving sense can be taught only to some extent. The rest of it will depend on how sensible you are ,I mean basic common sense. Unfortunately there is a very liittle of it here. You can blame it on the whole set up or lack of social responsibility or plain disrespect for fellow human. There is no driving sense whatsover to atleast 85% of the population here. Sorry to say this,but the city i love the most has become nightmare when it comes to daily commuting.
Old 12th November 2008, 10:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to add - at my workplace elevators, lets say i am in the elevator and going to step out. Also, there are people waiting on the floor outside.

Guess who steps out last? ME.

They will never allow people inside the elevator to step out first. They fail to undestand that I should be the first one who should be let out of the hole. Such pathetic is the creature-sense.
I was at the City Center mall at Vashi on Sunday waiting in line to get into the elevator. As the doors opened people started getting in and the elevator was soon packed to capacity. I knew at that moment that we wouldn't go anywhere because the lift was overloaded and even said my friend said the same thing to me. Still the doors closed and I thought for a moment that maybe this may work. Guess what? We were all stuck. The doors refused to open and the elevator refused to go anywhere. People at the front started giving sheepish looks and silly statements like "I think we are stuck" starting coming out from everyone. At that moment a lady next to us looks at my friend and says "Why did you say we are getting overloaded and will be stuck?!" I mean come on! Did we get stuck because someone said so?! The people in the front then say " it says here capacity 9 persons". Mind you these were all educated and literate people. Finally, the sleepy security guys come in and yank the doors open from outside and lash out at us asking why so many people got into one elevator. Everyone disburses and go by escalators and the elevator now goes empty!

I remember having discussions with my friends on why there has to be someone at the elevator / escalator / parking ticket vending machine to regulate people. Whats the point of having automated stuff if you still need manual control. I got the answer to that on sunday.

A little off topic: I don't know why the elevator doors closed when it was overloaded. This is a safety violation. Most elevators don't close if it gets overloaded but the City Center elevator closed and actually refused to open after that.

That incident made me realise that India is the only country where educated and literate people are regulated by uneducated people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks