Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 11:39   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: List of Traffic offences and applicable fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
An update: Article

I really hope traffic fines are increased 20 times. The current ones are peanuts and not helpful in deterring people from committing an offence. For example, a traffic light violation is just Rs. 100/-.

More room for exploitation by cops :(
More instances of bribery
The middle class will pay the increased fine, the upper class has contacts and the lower will slip away.

Why is it that we never look at preventing the problem itself.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: List of Traffic offences and applicable fine

Its a welcome move by the Government. This would considerably reduce the traffic offences on the road. At the same time they should improve the conditions of the road. The placement of traffic lights on some of the junctions is so pathetic that you should search for a few seconds to locate the signal lights. In the case of manual signalling, it'll be like a hide and seek game to search the location of police.

Its a happy news for some of the cops as their bribe amount also will be increased and don't be surprised if few cops become millionaires in a very short span of time.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th November 2011 at 11:59.
Old 18th November 2011, 12:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: List of Traffic offences and applicable fine. Fines set to increase 10-fold

Fines are going to increase 10 fold in most of the cities for the traffic offenses, seems like a good move to get regular traffic offenders in line.

I am eagerly waiting for the Autowalas and the Water tanker wala to behave and obey some traffic rules, if this brings a change in their driving ways then the objective is achieved (I see them always crossing the signal line, bully their way through smaller cars and two wheelers)

10-fold rise in fines for traffic violations - The Times of India
Old 18th November 2011, 12:21   #64
BHPian

This is one of the most welcomed news. If the fines increase am sure most of us inclusive of me would be weary of a mistake and consiouscly try and follow rules. Here is some of my choices.

1. If a driver drives rash - Seize the vehicle , fine 1000 Rs and Also a black mark on license. If the mark crosses 3 then license should stand cancelled
2. Lane Discipline - If a driver does not stick on to the lane or does not follow the lane discipline - fine of Rs 1000
3. Helmet - If two wheelers does not have an helmet fine of Rs 1500( Cost of an helmet and for this cash helmet would be given to the driver)
4. Not stopping before the stop line - 500 Rs fine
5. Signal jumping - Rs 1000 and a black mark on the license.
6. Government Bus / Corporation lorry not following rules - Drivers to be suspended and a fine on their salary to the extent of 500 Rs.

Above all this clear rules on how to drive and clear sign boards would create a no hassle traffic on the roads and traffic jams would be less. I know this is only a dream and can never be regulated bcos of political vote banks.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 12:47   #65
BHPian

Guys, Pardon me but I think this will only end up helping cops take a bigger bribe. They will tell offenders that the fine is Rs 1000, pay Rs 500 and go.
Regarding Autowallas and water tankers, their monthly hafta to the cops would increase.

Net Net, nothing new would be achieved on reducing traffic offenses

I believe we should go the western countries route i.e. you get penalty points on your license for offences that you make and that in turn would increase your insurance. If you points reach a particular threshold, your license would be revoked.

This way everyone would be scared for creating a traffic offense.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 13:41   #66
BHPian

Hi even if the cops are going to get some extra bribe what I see out of it is. People would become more responsible and even 500 rs bribe is too high. Today cops take 50 and 100 as bribe and hence people are ok to pay them. When the cops are going to ask for 500 rs bribe people would instead follow rules because this is big money and they can't afford it the next time

Also with regard to cops and bribe, introduce e challans and no manual mode of cash collection by cops. You are fined and u need to make the payment to the govt treasury or dept directly else credit card and online. Failure to pay will result in seizure of license.

At the end of the day if rules become strict we would have no offenders and hence cops can't take bribe and overall it is a win win
aravind84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 14:28   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
More room for exploitation by cops :(
More instances of bribery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Its a happy news for some of the cops as their bribe amount also will be increased and don't be surprised if few cops become millionaires in a very short span of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Guys, Pardon me but I think this will only end up helping cops take a bigger bribe. They will tell offenders that the fine is Rs 1000, pay Rs 500 and go.
Look at it this way. The current fines are just about 100 bucks on an average. The bribes used to be a percentage of the fines. Obviously with a ten fold increase the percentage of money sought as a bribe would go up. A person x would be ok to pay 50 / 100 / 200 bucks as bribe but if he has to shell out 500 bucks, it would be a deterrent. I have a feeling people are going to be a little careful. But, as they say in India, anything is possible.

Quote:
If you points reach a particular threshold, your license would be revoked.
This way everyone would be scared for creating a traffic offense.
How difficult is it to get a new license in that case? We don't have a centralized database for licensing and I personally know of people who carry more than one driving license out of the same RTO. Yes, that includes all the licenses issued after a biometric enrollment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Also with regard to cops and bribe, introduce e challans and no manual mode of cash collection by cops. You are fined and u need to make the payment to the govt treasury or dept directly else credit card and online. Failure to pay will result in seizure of license.

At the end of the day if rules become strict we would have no offenders and hence cops can't take bribe and overall it is a win win
Agreed!
Old 18th November 2011, 14:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Guess they should ask us to pay the fines with a DD and ask the banks to waive off the service charge. There shouldn't be any cash involved in any of the penalties.
Old 18th November 2011, 16:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
This is one of the most welcomed news. If the fines increase am sure most of us inclusive of me would be weary of a mistake and consiouscly try and follow rules. Here is some of my choices.

1. If a driver drives rash - Seize the vehicle , fine 1000 Rs and Also a black mark on license. If the mark crosses 3 then license should stand cancelled
2. Lane Discipline - If a driver does not stick on to the lane or does not follow the lane discipline - fine of Rs 1000
3. Helmet - If two wheelers does not have an helmet fine of Rs 1500( Cost of an helmet and for this cash helmet would be given to the driver)
4. Not stopping before the stop line - 500 Rs fine
5. Signal jumping - Rs 1000 and a black mark on the license.
6. Government Bus / Corporation lorry not following rules - Drivers to be suspended and a fine on their salary to the extent of 500 Rs.

Above all this clear rules on how to drive and clear sign boards would create a no hassle traffic on the roads and traffic jams would be less. I know this is only a dream and can never be regulated bcos of political vote banks.
Aravind, thats a good one.

But before all this the government has to bring a more strict licensing procedure. Today some people dont even know some of the traffic rules. The questions asked by the current licensing authorities are pathetic. They should insist on the driver to know all the traffic rules. If a applicant doesnt know even one rule he should be denied license. and the driving test should be more than taking right/left turn and parking. That way people will have an awareness and people do think of this rule when driving.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:05   #70
BHPian

This bill is still pending. I asked the BTP commissioner and he said it has not been passed yet. Seems the govt got too busy handling Anna :(
Old 1st March 2012, 11:49   #71
BHPian

Repeat traffic offences will fetch stiff fines with jumping red lights or not using seat belts and helmets attracting fine between Rs 500 to Rs 1,500. The first offence of using cellphone will mean Rs 500 fine and subsequent infringements can set the offender back by Rs 5,000 in penalties.

Cabinet nod for 10-fold hike in traffic fines likely today - The Times of India
Old 1st March 2012, 12:05   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Repeat traffic offences will fetch stiff fines with jumping red lights or not using seat belts and helmets attracting fine between Rs 500 to Rs 1,500. The first offence of using cellphone will mean Rs 500 fine and subsequent infringements can set the offender back by Rs 5,000 in penalties.

Cabinet nod for 10-fold hike in traffic fines likely today - The Times of India
This is long overdue - traffic violation fines should be as stiff as they can be.

But, will the police apply these equally to Government owned vehicles too?
Old 1st March 2012, 20:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Cabinet has cleared the hike in fines.

I think it has to be now approved by Parliament through an amendment of the MV Act.

Govt clears five-fold hike in fines for traffic offences | Deccan Chronicle
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:52   #74
BHPian

Hi everybody.
It would definitely mean a better following of the rules.
You pay a percentage say 50% as bribe.If the fine is 1000(it should be more) then you pay rs500.How many of us would take a chance of not stopping at a red light and thereby paying 500?At least I wouldnt even think of it.
On an aside Oprah Winfrey did mention about people not stopping at a red light and driving through with impunity
Regards
Old 13th March 2012, 11:44   #75
BHPian

Can someone post the updated list of offenses and fines?

Most Viewed