Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 15:03   #76
BHPian

Re: List of Traffic offences and applicable fine. Fines set to increase 10-fold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Can someone post the updated list of offenses and fines?
Found one(pic) on another forum. I'm not sure if it's the right one or if it's comprehensive.

From the many news articles that are out about this, I'm starting to think that the revision is limited to those mentioned below:
  • Talking over mobile phones: Rs 500 the first time, between Rs 2000 and Rs 5000 the second time.
  • Drunken driving- stage one: Rs 2000 or 6 months in jail or both for 30-60 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood.
  • Drunken driving- stage two: Rs 4000 or 1 year in jail or both for 60-150 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood.
  • Drunken driving- stage two (Repeat offence): Rs 8000 or 3 years in jail or both
  • Drunken driving- stage three: Rs 5000 or 2 years in jail or both for 150 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood.
  • Drunken driving- stage three (Repeat offence): Rs 10,000 or 4 years in jail or both. The penalty in this stage can lead to cancellation of driving license too.
  • Driving under influence of narcotics: Rs 2000 or 6 months in jail or both.
  • Driving under influence of narcotics (Repeat offence): Rs 5000 or 2 years in jail or both.
  • Serious injury in road accident: Rs 50,000.
  • Death in road accident: Rs 1 lakh.
Also, I would be more interested in looking at a comparison of the same from developing/developed countries. That might help us understand if the fines are steep or not.
Attached Images

Last edited by vinu_h : 13th March 2012 at 15:30. Reason: Added more information
Old 4th May 2012, 14:43   #77
BHPian

This is the latest here in Bangalore.

Link for Bangalore traffic fines
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Dont know if they have been put up here before or not, the link for traffic fine applicable in Thane are listed in pdf documents.

:: welcome to Thane Police ::

Dont know whether this is updated after the recent hike in the fines.

Just the other day me and my friend travelling in his car happened to be stopped by the traffic cop for violating the traffic signal. The cop asked us to pay a fine of Rs 200/-. My friend asked for the fines listing and this greatly offended the cop. My friend went one step ahead and asked the cop to see his badge number (normally only the name is displayed on the shirt). The cop went red faced and called up the control room to enquire about the fine list and made my friend talk to his senior who confirmed the fine amount. We paid the fine but the cops still dont have a clue about the various fines and dont have a documented copy (similar to the tariff card for ricks and taxis) either.

Last edited by ghodlur : 22nd May 2012 at 13:24.
Old 15th September 2014, 17:10   #79
BHPian

It seems acchee din for Traffic Cops. Today one can settle the offence by paying Rs50 to Rs500; tomorrow it will be 3K, 5K, and 10K... It doesn’t make a sense for them to settle below 25% to 50% of the Chalan Value.

They have targets to achieve; will always keep vigilance of those places where people tend to break rules for e.g. they expect us to drive at 60KMs per hour on an empty road or wait for you to get stuck in the middle of the junction (because of heavy traffic) even though you crossed when it was green.

Once the targets are achieved; then its incentive time; after all they do 10-12 hours of duty every day.

The Overloaded Trucks without the Brake light now have to pay a few thousand more as a bribe.

It’s a welcome move if Government takes adequate measures to ensure and keep corruption out of this new system. At least some fear will be there in the minds of Indian Drivers which will force them to follow traffic Rules.

But cops have to focus on maintaining safety / traffic discipline and not on targets. Also the government should take care of their (traffic Cops) compensation and living condition which so far is pathetic.

Seems difficult with present infrastructure; but not impossible!

Also as per the popular demand and vote bank politics; the government has to ensure adequate measures for Backward Classes by offering Cash Discount on Fines based on the reservation category or in the form of Subsidy for the total fine accumulated in a year. For Politicians all such Offenses have to be free for life time etc. etc.
Old 23rd March 2018, 17:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Been looking for the official fine lists for the Pune RTO, but whatever I am coming across seems to be pretty old.

Does anybody have the latest acknowledged-offence and approved-fine lists (Pune RTO)?
Old 28th August 2018, 23:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

List of fines.
Please go through as some of the fines are pretty hugh.
Attached Thumbnails
List of Traffic offences and applicable fine. Fines set to increase 10-fold-fb_img_1535478980058.jpg  

List of Traffic offences and applicable fine. Fines set to increase 10-fold-fb_img_1535478989020.jpg  

ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 23:52   #82
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The trick over here is for many offences like

Talking on the phone
Driving without seatbelts
Wrong side driving

And many other offences - they also levy a charge / section of Dangerous Driving (1000). So the actual fine may be less - but when they combine it with this offence , your actual fine will increase.

Most Viewed