Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 01:17   #16
aZa
Senior - BHPian

With aftermarket HIDS without a projector setup ... there is only one thing.. YOU CAN NOT DRIVE in front of these lights without getting blinded, irritated, road rage @#@#!$)*($)

i have 6000K HIDS in HL in my santro and 6000K hids in projector setup in fogs. the fogs are 5X more brighter but there is no glare. while the HL's are the different story. I usually switch off my HL's when the on coming car dips their hl's or when i see ppl in front trying to night mode on RVM. While purchasing HIDS for the HL's i didn't know the difference between the projector setups and normal light reflector setup :(

Last edited by aZa : 11th September 2008 at 01:19.
Old 11th September 2008, 01:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why not fix a mini laser in the rear bumper. Gives them a taste of their medicine. Gurgaon has way too many nuts driving around with all four HIDs ....
Old 11th September 2008, 07:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I fully support Bangalore cops for fining people with non-OEM HIDs. Before everyone flames me, let me point out that most people fit just the HIDs without the projectors and the result is especially appalling for approaching traffic or vehicles travelling in front of the that vehicle!

The best case was a modded Civic on the Mysore Gundlupet highway driving in the veening with full beam HIDs! I simply slowed down and stopped. Even truckers were getting blinded causing dangerous accident situations.

In Bangalore city, I have been forced to give way to such oncoming cars and that too in a unplanned dangerous manner. I could have easily hit/run over pedestrians or 2-wheelers (on the left side) whom I cannot possibly see with full beam HIDs glaring at me.

IMHO, without projectors, HIDs are real 'killers'. HIDs should not be allowed unless they are either homologated (i.e. stock fitment on cars) or the kits (including projectors) themselves are somehow ARAI approved.

I apologize to those people who HAVE fitted the expensive aftermarket projectors, but if the majority are either willingly flouting the rule or are ignorant, common sense says that SOME ACTION must be taken immediately.
Old 11th September 2008, 07:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

If immediate action was taken in India for any violation things would be much different here. One of the problems for drivers is that the police constables on the road themselves have never driven a vehicle and have no clue about what problems drivers face on the road. And in majority of the cases they cannot understand what's going on. They just execute orders from the top. So I see no proactive measures from them unless the big bosses face this problem themselves and then do something.
Old 11th September 2008, 08:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

While i unsderstand the frustration at improperly installed HID's, I was talking about the woes due to the properly set up ( OE) projector setups. Even they arent as harmless as i thought
Old 11th September 2008, 11:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

A very dangerous statement indeed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not fix a mini laser in the rear bumper. Gives them a taste of their medicine. Gurgaon has way too many nuts driving around with all four HIDs ....
I too have aftermarket 8000K HIDs in my Scorpio and the HLs are not projectors. But I use only the fog lamps during the night. Till date the HIDs have been switched on either absolutely dark roads or on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
While purchasing HIDS for the HL's i didn't know the difference between the projector setups and normal light reflector setup :(

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th September 2008 at 11:36.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

LOL.
Same expereince here.

I think I'll havta go along with Phamilyman's suggestion and fit two lasers.
One in front for idiots who drive on high beam (especially then ones with xenons) coming from opposite side,
and one in rear for those who spare no effort to blind you via rear view mirrors.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The ACE h***s are the worst of the lot - always on high-beam, no matter where. For me it's come to a point where if I see highbeams, and the position of those lights seems low (close to the ground), then I turn on my highbeams immediately. Most times my guess that it's an ACE is right.

It doesnt help if you use your high-beam on these vehicles, from behind them.

It doesnt help if you tint your ORVM's.

Quote:
TSK: Why not shift your IRVM to night mode?
Resolves part of the problem, what about reflection from the RHS ORVM ?

Last edited by condor : 11th September 2008 at 12:01.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi theMAG,

> put the reflective type sun film on the rear windscreen.

Against the law to use reflective sun film in a vehicle.

> The vehicle behind you then will see the exact reflection of his headlight the > way others see.

With the angle of the rear windscreen, the beam would not reflect straight back at the following vehicle.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi theMAG,

> put the reflective type sun film on the rear windscreen.

Against the law to use reflective sun film in a vehicle.

> The vehicle behind you then will see the exact reflection of his headlight the > way others see.

With the angle of the rear windscreen, the beam would not reflect straight back at the following vehicle.
im sure he meant it as a joke.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

GD saab, I fully stand by my words.If only others could be considerate users like you. i take the sect 31 turnoff from expressway daily, till the T point at sect 40, and there are atleast 3 -5 idiots daily every night i meet, who on that single lane must drive on HID. I can't even count the number of times I'vealmost hit a dog/some stone/taken a pothole wrongly because of such callous fools. Forget the long term effects on my vision.

I mean are they that blind? Or are they lazy to just go and replace with a cheap decent OEM bulb - osram silverstar costs 350 bucks a pair.

I fully think that fining and even cancelling licenses/impounding vehicles running ONLY on HIDs and putting people through basic road safety education classes, or making them stare at the equivalent of their own HIDs at 100 ft distance for 10 min or such to realize the sheer nuisance to public health and safety that unregulated HIDs pose.

I think the laser (or a pocket version) is a due necessity. If the other person doesnt care whether I get blinded, or I go off the road, its just as much self defence for me to blind them back.

I recognize the value of well done HIDs on highways/interior roads, but NOT in Gurgaon of all the places, for God's sake, that too two lane undivided roads choc a bloc with traffic and enough light around to count cats' whiskers. Skodas for eg use reduced EC7 reflectors that are designed to minimize the nuisance.

@aZa: If you don't mind sharing - why don't you shift to regular lights for main beam, given that you are cognizant of the nuisance to public safety and health (you are blinding others - simple) that you pose to society as a whole. What is it that's holding you back?

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th September 2008 at 12:58.
Old 11th September 2008, 13:05   #27
BHPian

I give a pass signal to them who is coming opposite to me. If they still dont reduce the light I just switch on all my light. I know I should not do but cant help with those IDIOT.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:50   #28
BHPian

At times i feel that we should have atleast a 14" spotlight with bright white light mounted on the rear end of the car and switch it on the moment some smart *** is following you with High Beams..
Old 13th September 2008, 01:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
I give a pass signal to them who is coming opposite to me. If they still dont reduce the light I just switch on all my light. I know I should not do but cant help with those IDIOT.
lol.. i drive home at the middle of the night from work.. I do the same thing.. these cab drivers... So my MO is to switch to night mode on the rear view mirror... as far as ERVM is concerned, it doesnt bother me since i have a dark sun film... and for the idiots on high beam coming in the opposite direction, i have a poloroid glasses made specially for driving at night..

I have heard of atleast one person who has two large HIDs mounted on the roof of his SUV... and has a plunger type button... the HIDs are pointed a little to the right... and he presses the plunger/button for a split second to blind lorry drivers or any vehicle who are driving on high beams and doesnt switch to low beam even after being "flashed" at number of times...

I have contemplated keeping stones in my car, and throwing them at windshields of oncoming idiots on high beam... no.. i wouldnt really do that but i have contemplated it.. and if anyone feels the same way, i understand.. but i wouldnt do it..
Old 13th September 2008, 22:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Even weirder, it was changing colour, yellow-blue-yellow-blue etc.
Turns out it was a skoda with both his HID and regular lamps turned on, and he was not flashing. As the car was pitching along with the unevenness of the road, the HID's line of illumination was moving in and out of my line of sight in the RVM's , causing the blue and yellow alternate colours.

Has anyone else experienced this ?
Yes, this is exactly what happens in case of OE HID Projector lights.

On uneven roads there is a likelihood of you getting caught in the glare (purple-blue types). This is quite irritating. If you're not in the glare it looks like a normal white-yellow kinda light.

In case of HID's in non projector's, the light is just too damn bright but not blinding. Unless the guy is driving on High-beam, and those are on HID's too !!

Most Viewed