Team-BHP - Innova meets the buffalo
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Innova meets the buffalo (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/45585-innova-meets-buffalo.html)

It was Saturday September 6th, morning got up early around 5am got myself ready, picked up 2 of my friends and hit the road to Mysore towards Nanjanagudu around 6.30am, reached the Nanjanagud around 10:30 with one breakfast break, visited temple and reached back Bangalore around 6 in the evening after visiting a friend’s place on the way back in Mandya.

At around 7 picked up few stuff and started to visit my in laws place which is around 45kms from Bangalore. On the way rain started to pour heavily and visibility was very poor. After reaching K.R.Puram at low speeds, the road was filled with water.

At around 8.30 on NH4 I saw a buffalo and calf standing on the road, I just turned to right, and to my bad luck there was another buffalo standing in front, for 1st instance I could see only the four legs of the buffalo, I suddenly the hit the brakes hard, but it was too late and hit the buffalo, it overturned and stood and ran away. An alto which was behind me had hit the bumper of my Innova. I was doing around 30-40k and was in 3rd gear. I was in a shock for few seconds, went out to see the damages to the car, it was really bad. Then went to the alto and checked everyone in it 4 guys all of them were lawyers, they were ok. Then searched for the buffalo in and around, but could not trace it. I checked with people around, they said it ran away, hoping that it did not have any major injuries.

Damages to innova was really bad, bonnet crushed, grill fully damaged, radiator broke and coolant was leaking. I then checked the Alto, but only bonnet was damaged but ECU light was glowing. But they called up few mechanics and carried on like that after taking my contact number.
Next day called up Ravindu Toyota guy (thanks to Ravi, for providing the numbers) to tow my vehicle

Estimation from Ravidu Toyota for the damages is 88,800 INR, waiting for my insurance company how much amout they will approve.

I must say that seat belts saved me from injuries. And I even searched for that buffalo after the incident, but could not trace it. I even asked in station while taking the acknowledgment that any injured buffalo complaint was reported, but nothing.

Now to the pics

Good to know that the Buffalo and everyone else is ok.

Why did the Alto guys take your number? They shouldn't have been tailgating in the first place. They should have maintained distance to ensure they had braking distance in the event of an emergency.

First, good to hear no injuries.

Man it really hurts to see the love in this condition. And you said damage estimates are 88K :Shockked: OMG.

Btw, your concern on the buffalo shows your responsibility. And why did those guys took your number? I am also confused. Also, you mentioned that those guys are all lawyers. Umm. Anyway, since they hit from back I assume its no issue form your side.

Its dark, and then the buffalo. Bad luck, for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 973149)
Good to know that the Buffalo and everyone else is ok.

Why did the Alto guys take your number? They shouldn't have been tailgating in the first place. They should have maintained distance to ensure they had braking distance in the event of an emergency.

i agree with you, even the police too did not agree for lodging a complaint against me, since it is his mistake. He wanted to my number for what reason i dont know and he even told that he will claim the insurance from my insurance company.. i dont know how he could do that..

88k for repairing what is essentially a bonnet and grill replacement? Ok, a radiator also, but 88k still somehow sounds a little on the higher side to me. Are you sure only the radiator went kaput?

OT: I initially thought you were going to report a hyderabad incident. 2 or 3 days back while coming to office saw a fallen buffalo bang in the middle of the road with stiff legs pointing skywards.

How did you managed to bring your vehicle to your place before it was towed or you left there itself.
88K huge amount. I think you will get 85 to 90 % as all things are covered in insurance. You may need to pay for radiator oil etc.

Ehh...That's some damage. Alongwith searching for the Buffalo, you should also have looked for the owner & kicked him for let it stray on the roads (which happens always). If no owner complain/write to BDA(?)

I see many (cars & bikes) tailgaiting so closely, leading to such incidents. And even they bump in slightly, they smile & say this is common in city traffic!

Beware of the 'Lawyers' in the Alto. For all you know they might act smart and slap a notice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 973191)
88k for repairing what is essentially a bonnet and grill replacement? Ok, a radiator also, but 88k still somehow sounds a little on the higher side to me. Are you sure only the radiator went kaput?

OT: I initially thought you were going to report a hyderabad incident. 2 or 3 days back while coming to office saw a fallen buffalo bang in the middle of the road with stiff legs pointing skywards.

ya i am sure radiator is damaged, b'coz coolant was leaking and by morning there was not coolant in that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_iitd (Post 973193)
How did you managed to bring your vehicle to your place before it was towed or you left there itself.
88K huge amount. I think you will get 85 to 90 % as all things are covered in insurance. You may need to pay for radiator oil etc.

i had left my vehical in the Police station which was around 1/2km from the spot. 88k is without tax, plus tax may cross 1 lakh mark.. i will try to upload the estimation given by Ravidu by today.

The lawyer might lodge a report at a station known to him assuming that you might not lodge a police complaint, as most dont, good that you did.

Only way to claim from others insurance is by following a legal route which starts with police complaint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore (Post 973180)
i agree with you, even the police too did not agree for lodging a complaint against me, since it is his mistake. He wanted to my number for what reason i dont know and he even told that he will claim the insurance from my insurance company.. i dont know how he could do that..

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 973263)
The lawyer might lodge a report at a station known to him assuming that you might not lodge a police complaint, as most dont, good that you did.

Only way to claim from others insurance is by following a legal route which starts with police complaint.

i totaly agree, infact he tried to lodge a complaint, for that police said an FIR is neccessary the vehicals have to be there for 3 days and police said it wont be of any use since it will be the mistake of driver who is driving the alto and not mine. So i only took the acknowledgment not FIR since no one got hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore (Post 973281)
i totaly agree, infact he tried to lodge a complaint, for that police said an FIR is neccessary the vehicals have to be there for 3 days and police said it wont be of any use since it will be the mistake of driver who is driving the alto and not mine. So i only took the acknowledgment not FIR since no one got hurt.

Mate, you NEED to get the FIR for Insurance claims. Please get it asap.

Ouch bad bad accident. Good to hear that everybody is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 973191)
88k for repairing what is essentially a bonnet and grill replacement? Ok, a radiator also, but 88k still somehow sounds a little on the higher side to me. Are you sure only the radiator went kaput?.

Yes it is high amount but that's the way A.S.S. charge. My ikon had a kind of similar accident in 2006. The bonnect, grill, parts supporting the grill, radiator were changed. The total hit 49000. As we all know, A.S.S. does believe only in changing parts so these guys change parts even it has slighest damage. IIRC, the painting alone cost me close to 10000, which included bonnet, right side fender, grill. Leave the paint, the ford logo was for Rs.300.
Also the 88K is estimate, which might come down or go up, depends when they will start the work on the car & see what all needs to be worked upon. the estimate given to me was 60K, but the final bill was 49K

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 973360)

An acknowledgment will do in this case for insurance purposes. An acknowledgment will state all the facts which took place and will be signed by both the driver and the police in charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 973360)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat (Post 973376)
An acknowledgment will do in this case for insurance purposes. An acknowledgment will state all the facts which took place and will be signed by both the driver and the police in charge.

I am no expert here, but in my case, 6 cars banged each other when an old man tried crossing the road without noticing the traffic. Nobody of the six lodged FIR. I straight away drove to Ford service centre & gave them the details of the accident on a blank piece of paper. They took the copy of RC, my driving licence & insurance policy.
Ford guys called the insurance surveyer next day & gave me the estimate. My insurance was cashless & i paid the depriciation amount the day my car was ready.