Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 10:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
- the moment red light turns to green the taxi behind you starts honking. Or honking from behind when there is obviously no way you can move forward. As if he is asking you to fly out.
Dude, come to Bangalore. Here you get honked at for stopping at a red light also!

I now re-direct the stupidity on road towards amusement, instead of frustration.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:43   #17
BHPian

I guess the basic manners, courtesy are never taught to anyone - either at schools or at home. I strongly, feel that we need to educate our own kids at a very young age so that they have these qualities imbibed into their genes. Here is an incident that I would like to narrate, which had happened with one of my friend.

He was in London on project work along with this wife. They were visiting a store where he had opened the door for his wife. His wife walked through and immediately he saw a small kid followed behind his wife and he did not acknowledge my friend for holding the door. Immediately, the boys mother sternly asked him to come back, apologize to my friend and then hold the door for the next 10 visitors.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Another thing to add. People honk needlessely for people to see his/her car even though there is nobody in front of them. Is this to show how good his/her car is or to show off his sophisticated systems or to show off how shiny his/her car is and the set of new alloys he has just fitted in.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Guys, this really happened to me, My friend a funny guy, and I are traveling on this not so busy road, we are in his dad Old Amby that quite often has a cough and a cold!! now suddenly the car stops and no sooner did he try to start it, the honking started, few cars reversed and moved on but this one guy right behind us just kept going on and on. My friend got out and calmly went up to him and said "Boss can you please try and start my car, and i'll continue the honking for you from here!!"
I was such splits coz i saw his face and would every time i thought of it.

Beautiful, just plain Beautiful. Would have loved to see the guys face when your friend said this. The best way (IMO) to tackle such boorish behaviour is to make the person aware and then hopefully ashamed, of his actions.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

One more psychology when it comes to Car pooling:
few colleagues of mine always find a reason not to bring their car our for a TGIF lunch with lame excuses everytime that exactly on that day:
- MY car has no sufficient fuel
- My wife has taken my car
- I have come on my bike today(deliberatly)

They just expect to hitch a ride every week in other's car.Its disgusting and poor manners.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Joe, your observations, in writing, brought a smile to my lips that changed to a laughter. I too observe these behaviour most of the times but never thought of putting it down in B&W.

Quote:
I often wondered when I see such behavior patterns:

Joe
Old 19th September 2008, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Joe you have me in splits....

Quote:
few cars reversed and moved on but this one guy right behind us just kept going on and on. My friend got out and calmly went up to him and said "Boss can you please try and start my car, and i'll continue the honking for you from here!!"
I was such splits coz i saw his face and would every time i thought of it.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:15   #23
BHPian

same here from thiruvalla!!

hey johnda,im sure you will see a lot of these in thiruvalla and nearby(frankly anywhere in this country),cause im basically from there.
those achayanmaar never understand the meaning "to close the doors softly."
and i also hate the way people horn like hell behind your car knowing that there is a long line of other cars in front of you.

i wish if there was a technology for reverse horns where its sound depends on the surrounding area(like quieter in a parking lot and louder on busy street car parking areas)
Old 19th September 2008, 17:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amazzing and good disciplining. Sadly, we lack it here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Immediately, the boys mother sternly asked him to come back, apologize to my friend and then hold the door for the next 10 visitors.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:16   #25
BHPian

Auto guys in Bangalore would wriggle from the left side to get in front at a signal as if they are in pole position at the F1 race and when the light turns green people behind them have to honk and remind them that they need to get moving.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:58   #26
BHPian

How do u forget that three autos blocking whole road @ 30-40 Spead in ring road. Or Chain of pushing each other while climbing a bridge blocking the whole traffic behind.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

All this happens because most of us are not educated about the traffic rules and behaviour. Am sure atleast 90% of us got their licenses sitting at home by just paying extra money to the agent.
No Driving tests, No rule tests then obviously all this will happen. Earlier i use to get angry, now am only amused by all this behaviour on road.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
One more psychology when it comes to Car pooling:
few colleagues of mine always find a reason not to bring their car our for a TGIF lunch with lame excuses everytime that exactly on that day:
- MY car has no sufficient fuel
- My wife has taken my car
- I have come on my bike today(deliberatly)

They just expect to hitch a ride every week in other's car.Its disgusting and poor manners.
We have increased our Bank balance. Withdrawing a hefty salary. But still we have not developed the Culture/Manner/Common sense ...
You must have found that in TGIF also they will be doing some cheap behavior. Thanks to INDIA GROWING story ...
Old 19th September 2008, 18:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
hey johnda,im sure you will see a lot of these in thiruvalla and nearby(frankly anywhere in this country),cause im basically from there.
those achayanmaar never understand the meaning "to close the doors softly."
and i also hate the way people horn like hell behind your car knowing that there is a long line of other cars in front of you.

i wish if there was a technology for reverse horns where its sound depends on the surrounding area(like quieter in a parking lot and louder on busy street car parking areas)
Hey Hi!, in fact on this thread Insane Devil has an on off switch that can shut that nuisance out at night.
Nice to see you on TBHP.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

I agree with almost all the points here. But differ on some.
I regularly find out that the basic manners are not cultivated in humans, and these humans range from poor to rich, male or female, or kids.
More than anything, mostly the upbringing can help along with what is taught in schools ( read Eudcation ). But we know the status of what education is in India and what it has become.

If a car suddenly stops in front of me, I do honk and dont move, as I also have a right to road. If the car is not road worthy, why bring it on the road. And I know how the cars are maintained by most people ( it is local mechanic who himself wont know much ). Yes, if its an emergency like punctured wheel, etc. I wont honk. I have also seen that people dont move if I want to overtake them despite the fact that they have space on left. Then undertaking those people is the only solution. This is easy in small cars like Maruti 800, but in larger vehicles, its tough.

Once I rammed into a Lancer deliberately so that he wont brake just to look around and see where he is supposed to turn. If he wanted to seek directions to reach his destination, he must park properly, get down and ask.
My Maruti 800 did not suffer much damage as the Lancer just came off a high bump and I just entered. I had just a cracked grille. He had broken tail lights. People must move to left side of the road if empty to let others pass by. And if the left side is not empty then they must move at reasonable pace. I have observed that people wont move fast specially if the left lane is occupied. So others have to face inconveinence.

When I drive Baleno, I know the amount of road space it eats and specially for faster moving two wheelers, I drop left wheel off the road to let them pass on narrow roads.

My worst experience came when I was in Maruti 800. Suddenly a wagon R in front of me showed no indicator and turned right 90 degree. It was quite close and could have resulted into damaged front end of 800. I could brake to avoid accident. And mostly people show indicators just 10 mtrs before the turn.

I am trying to say is that till the common man in India changes this attitude and develops understanding that others also have a right to road, the situation will get worse. And it is getting bad day by day. We cannot call it manners, but can call it lack of manners only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks