Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2008, 12:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

7PM yesterday waiting in line to get into the Center One mall parking lot. Being a sunday before Diwali there is big line to get in. A DL registered Zen overtakes from behind forms a double line and just near the parking attendant's booth tries to squeeze in. My Palio's bonnet is next to his front left door and I can see the driver through the rear window of his car. Seems like a perfectly normal educated guy and also has a bluetooth headset. As the Indigo in front of me squeezes ahead, so does he and so do I. I honk. He glares at me. I gesture at him that there is a line and he should get in that line. I think he said Shut up angrily. Ultimately the Palio wins. I get in front of him and ask the parking guy why he isn't doing anything about the chaos outside. The guy calmly shrugs his shoulders and says "kya karne ka?" I ask him if he thinks his job is merely to collect money and he conviniently ignores me.

About an hour later on the way out, I am driving out of the parking lot. I have to take a right turn and go straight to exit the parking. A M800 is parked bang in the middle of the road that leads cars out. I don't understand how anyone could mistake that 'slot' as a parking slot! Is it deliberate (I care a damn attitude) or ignorance or just stupidity? It wasn't that the parking was full. There was plenty of space so I really don't know what made the M800 do that but I learnt a lesson yesterday to expect anything, and I mean ANYTHING, from Indian drivers!
Old 27th October 2008, 17:08   #62
BHPian

Vehicles with high beam driving towards you in a dual carriage way

Guys, how about

1> Driving at night on a dual carriage way (Example: Hosur Road in Bangalore) and you get oncoming traffic with high beam from all possible directions (some from left some from right) and you are blinded with their high beams.
2> 2 Wheelers on the middle of the road who wouldnt let you overtake
3> Kids on their dads lap steering the vehicle
4> Water on the road and the car speeds up just to splash water on all the passers by
5> Public Transport vehicle that never moves out of the fast lane (right most lanes) and stops on the same lane to let people get down and get in

I beleive its just lack of road/traffic sense and inability to respect others.
Old 27th October 2008, 17:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
A DL registered Zen overtakes from behind forms a double line and just near the parking attendant's booth tries to squeeze in... ...Ultimately the Palio wins.

Dude, I had a similar experience at Dadar TT yesterday.

Had lined up in the righmost lane at the signal opposite Metro when this Accent came up from behind on the right. I gestured to him, politely, to hold back and not cut in. Apparantly, he took offense.

Next thing I see is he comes right beside, and stares at me. Then tries to cut in anyway. Needless to say, after a few uncomfortable moments where our cars were just inches apart, he failed. And thankfully, only his ego got bruised!
Old 27th October 2008, 21:23   #64
BHPian

Amit, Blur and JO-G, these guys you've mentioned are flips who are brats and inconsiderate. Infact there is a thread 'How to spot bad drivers' Hey these are the very bad drivers!! we probably need a thread that says - 'how to lock up bad drivers'
Manner? sure its the lack of it
Old 27th October 2008, 22:54   #65
BHPian

This one is Hilarious

This is about an incident that happened last year. I was returning from my office in CP. While I was struck in traffic jam on Barakhamba road to Mandi house. I saw people in Maruti Van behind me getting outside and what they did can be best described by the pictures below.

Must we call it Manners or the lack of it!-dsc00624.jpg

Must we call it Manners or the lack of it!-dsc00625.jpg

Must we call it Manners or the lack of it!-dsc00627.jpg

Last edited by austere_sly : 27th October 2008 at 23:01.
Old 28th October 2008, 08:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
This is about an incident that happened last year. I was returning from my office in CP. While I was struck in traffic jam on Barakhamba road to Mandi house. I saw people in Maruti Van behind me getting outside and what they did can be best described by the pictures below.
This goes to show what culture they are from. Also IMO, these are the peope who thrive on attention. They were just trying to grab attention and nothing else. I thought that Vadodara has one of the worst traffic senese. But understanding this there are metal railing on top of the divider so not even a bike can do this activity.

I am sure police would do just nothing if the case is brought in front of them. The worst part of the whole story is that this happens in New Delhi that happens to be our capital city, and surely it does the best in representing our culture.
Old 28th October 2008, 09:27   #67
BHPian

austere_sly, that was some nutcases! suddenly you hope that the divider had spikes or was even a bit higher.

Guys, have you had someone spit pan out of a Bus window, then gravity and wind direction basically brings it to your windscreen!
Old 28th October 2008, 15:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am sure police would do just nothing if the case is brought in front of them.
I will not exactly blame police for not apprehending them. I fail to understand why we need traffic policemen to inculcate basic traffic sense in road users. IMO when all road users understand that they should following traffic rules for their own safety and not for the fear of fines, Indian roads would definitely be a much better place to drive.

Quote:
Guys, have you had someone spit pan out of a Bus window, then gravity and wind direction basically brings it to your windscreen!
Thankfully I have never experienced that. But it is among one of those things I fear while overtaking a bus. The others being bus driver cutting my side and someone vomiting from window (common in Interstate buses)
Old 28th October 2008, 17:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
austere_sly, that was some nutcases! suddenly you hope that the divider had spikes or was even a bit higher.

I dont have the Comfort of a windscreen On my bike, How i wish i had one to save me . I have a commute of about 60 kms every day in delhi and i absolutely dread overtaking Buses for this reason.

Happened to me once in oct 2006 me and my friend were going to North Campus and i was overtaking a BlueLine, lo behold a Head comes out in a Flash and starts Splurting (DOnt know if that is the word BUt i think You get my drift), i am plastered Red, Thank God i had a full face helmet, Me and my friend park in front of the Bus at the next Bus stop and Pull the Guy out and The rest as they say is history.
Old 8th December 2008, 23:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
4. you are driving at good speed when this roaring bus overtakes you (after flooring his pedal for 5 mins behind you) And almost as soon as he passes your front bumper he begins to slow down to stop. Is it the hurray I bet an OHC medal he's after?
I happens every time when i drive. In Earnakulam, I am afraid of private buses in Alwaye-Earnakulam route. Those guys are literally street racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
- the moment red light turns to green the taxi behind you starts honking. Or honking from behind when there is obviously no way you can move forward. As if he is asking you to fly out.
Not just the taxi, when i drive my santro, cars like scorpio and skoda guys horn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Bumper-2-bumper traffic and cars are honking all around and you are trying to concentrate when "Increase the volume yaar. I love the beats to this song." Co-passenger nicely turns the volume knob to max.
I am a college student right now, i am the one who drive when our gang go out for road trips, phew! i get annoyed when stuck in traffic and the terrible track playing makes me concentrate less on the situation.
Old 9th December 2008, 02:56   #71
BHPian

Just went through most of the thread - comforting to know that there are so many others who are driven wild by the funny guys on our roads.

My own special experience - on a fairly busy road in Hyderabad. I was driving behind a guy on a scooter and both of us needed to make a left turn. The guy started to turn and suddenly stopped and I braked too. There was no one in front of him but I thought maybe he had seen some obstruction in the turning and so I waited. Then I realised that - he had stopped to send or read an SMS on his phone! In the middle of the road and in the middle of the turn. I honked for a few seconds before he realised there was someone behind and then he moved to the side without even looking back.

This sort of thing happens here every now and then - I have seen a biker in the extreme right lane stop suddenly, making people behind him brake and swerve, to light a fag.

And what to say about guys who will drive in the middle lane even when they want to make a right turn, get ahead of people who had moved to the right-side lane in advance, and then cut in to make a right turn. In the process the signal changes and one or two people in the correct lane get stuck on the red light again and have to wait another cycle.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:43   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post

My own special experience - on a fairly busy road in Hyderabad. I was driving behind a guy on a scooter and both of us needed to make a left turn. The guy started to turn and suddenly stopped and I braked too. There was no one in front of him but I thought maybe he had seen some obstruction in the turning and so I waited. Then I realised that - he had stopped to send or read an SMS on his phone! In the middle of the road and in the middle of the turn. I honked for a few seconds before he realised there was someone behind and then he moved to the side without even looking back.

This sort of thing happens here every now and then - I have seen a biker in the extreme right lane stop suddenly, making people behind him brake and swerve, to light a fag.

And what to say about guys who will drive in the middle lane even when they want to make a right turn, get ahead of people who had moved to the right-side lane in advance, and then cut in to make a right turn. In the process the signal changes and one or two people in the correct lane get stuck on the red light again and have to wait another cycle.
The SMS and Fag guys are idiots waiting to be run over.

And people cutting in to make right turns aren't funny at all.
I remember an incident from quite a while back. It was early morning and the traffic was quite thin. Was approaching a right turn and had slowed down accordingly. With just a few feet to go a Zen comes up fast on my left, cuts in sharply without any indications, and makes the turn. Had to brake hard to avoid a collision. Was livid, to say the least.
Accelerated after the turn and pulled even with the Zen to exchange some 'polite' words. IT WAS A GIRL Let it go thinking it would be a total waste trying to tell her just how stupid she was being.
Old 9th December 2008, 20:14   #73
BHPian

recollect a funny one from my end too in hyderabad...

Driving behind a kinectic honda ,seems the guy's indicator was not working or something ,so our man decides to use the hand as the indicator to turn right( not a surpise though,many do it that way in our country)...

the fun part is ,all of a sudden he decides on not taking the right turn ,so how does one do that ,well simply raise your hand ,do the "X" sign in the air ( to indicate he has changed his mind and he heads out straight)....

now isnt that the most innovative way of an undo version sans your bike indicators...
Old 10th December 2008, 00:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
...all of a sudden he decides on not taking the right turn ,so how does one do that ,well simply raise your hand ,do the "X" sign in the air ( to indicate he has changed his mind and he heads out straight)
now that is Manners... I cracked up imagining the X scene!!!
I remember an uncle in my car was signaling to the biker at the traffic light that his headlight was ON and instead of using all 5 fingers to do the "open-close" action, He used only his thumb and forefinger (2 fingers) and the biker looked at him and said " next time be careful when you use Super Glue..."

Last edited by johnda : 10th December 2008 at 00:45.
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, this really happened to me, My friend a funny guy, and I are traveling on this not so busy road, we are in his dad Old Amby that quite often has a cough and a cold!! now suddenly the car stops and no sooner did he try to start it, the honking started, few cars reversed and moved on but this one guy right behind us just kept going on and on. My friend got out and calmly went up to him and said "Boss can you please try and start my car, and i'll continue the honking for you from here!!"
I was such splits coz i saw his face and would every time i thought of it.
The same thing happened AGAIN to me, last night in ONAM traffic.. we were in thick traffic and this indica guy was jus hooting away. My friend stepped out and suggested that 'mr indica' sit in my car while he honks from behind,(since anyway we are moving at a slow pace.. let me play with your horn ) people on bikes and others around were all laughing.

* in the same traffic with all of us going one way (no way out) have you notice a 2nd and 3rd parallel line forming with everyone trying their best to beat the first guy??

Last edited by johnda : 23rd August 2010 at 21:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks