Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Ignorant biker rams the Palio

What a Fantastic start to a beautiful Friday morning. I was driving to work 1/2 hour back, had "rise up" playing in the car, AC set to a nice ambient temperature, looking forward to a wonderful day.

As i slowly approached an intersection near the office, i saw an auto approaching from the left. Me being in a very good mood, slowed down and let him pass. Mind you, i was doing hardly 5kmph that time, since there was traffic around. So, as i came to a complete halt and let the auto pass, i heard a huge thud and felt something hit the car. And to no surprise of mine, it was a bike. God alone knows where he came from, why he was speeding and why he did not notice a stationary car at the intersection.

That being said, i got down to check out the damage, a few scratches on the rear bumper. Before i could look up to find the biker, he had VANISHED. Into thin air. That ignorant fellow just sped off. No chance to trace him or anything.

5 minutes later i entered office, parked the car, lit a smoke and started to check out the actual damage. And my oh my, what do i see, A BROKEN TAIL LAMP. I failed to notice this when the accident happened. I was ok with the scratches, they are inevitable. But a broken tail lamp really broke my heart.

In the last 2 years since i have owned the car, there had been no accident that i caused. twice the car was hit when it was parked, and today this.

Fellow bhpians, any idea how much the rear tail light unit for the Palio will cost me. Mine is a 1st generation palio 1.2 elx

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th September 2008 at 12:39. Reason: I understand your state of mind but profanity cant be allowed
Old 26th September 2008, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this Iceman. These kind of morons are there in wherever we go and drive in India. I feel you may get around 50% of the cost if you claim insurance. Just check this up.
Old 26th September 2008, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sad to read this.
Now a days, these bikers are creating so much problems.
I don't think tail lamp will cost more than rs 1000. for this cost, don't claim insurance.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

iceman, sad you had a bad friday...i dont think the cost should be much. should be around 1k.

This always happens have seen people using the bikes or mopeds which comes without disc brakes ramming from back....best part these morons wont keep any distance...
Old 26th September 2008, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad & painful to see the machine bleeding. Yes, you can try for the insurance. Also thin about the NCB, I dont like to loose NCB if the cost of this fixing is going to be less (remember, Insurance pays only 50%)
Old 26th September 2008, 12:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Iceman..sorry to hear the damage.
You may need to buy both the lights as Tata dont sell only one.A pair will cost Rs.3500 - 4000.recently Tatas hiked all the Fiat Spares.
Good luck my friend.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Iceman..sorry to hear the damage.
You may need to buy both the lights as Tata dont sell only one.A pair will cost Rs.3500 - 4000.recently Tatas hiked all the Fiat Spares.
Good luck my friend.
bad start to day IceMan.
TATA only sell a pair. I thought they were going to improve Fiat ownership experience and would have progressed from the days when i tried to buy adventure and Concorde@ dairy circle refused to sell it.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:30   #8
BHPian

Really don't understand why this Biker is always in hurry. I remember a quote from my friend, He politely said it to a Biker while the biker was trying to Jump a Signal. And that to in local Kannada Language....
"Are you going to your mother's marriage ?"
Old 26th September 2008, 12:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK the old gen palio Tail Light Cluster (without extra stop lamp) will cost 750/- excluding tax and the one with extra stop lamp costs 1000/- without tax.

donot claim insurance. hope you get the car back in shape soon. take care and drive safe.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 26th September 2008 at 12:34.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

No No man. It should be cheaper.

The Multijet one is 2300 bucks. Yours, if found in open market could be cheaper.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:15   #11
BHPian

Thank you to all of you for your inputs. Just called up Balaji Motors in Thane, apparently they dont have stock. So called Fortune cars, even they dont have stock of old Palio tail lamps. But the service manager in Fortune referred me to a shop in the open market where i may get the tail lamp.

Best part is the tail lamp is not completly broken and has a small hole in the side indicator (orange) section, so i can manage this way for a few days by sticking some orange cellophane as temporary relief.

Also i checked the price. It shouldnt be more than 1200 bucks. Open market should be much cheaper.

Will keep you posted.
Old 26th September 2008, 17:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Damages happen.
Sad to hear about it.
It's better to keep the car new than apply cellophane and allow water to go inside and cause furthur issues'
Old 26th September 2008, 17:55   #13
BANNED

Sorry to hear about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
"Are you going to your mother's marriage ?"
That's VERY polite compared to what Chennai uses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks