Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2005, 20:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

me n my old rusty n trusty car

hi
my first thread in this section..
well, i was getting bored sitting at home and so i thought why not go on a drive. but where to go? then i remembered a woody's restaurant on the way to chennai.. on the kolar bypass... on old madras road. so i decided to pay it a visit this afnoon.
It took one hour to leave the traffic behind. suddenly after hoskote the traffic disappeared and wot lay in front of me was a sight for soar eyes. it seemed like ages since i last drove in fifth! anyways... the trip to woody's was pleasant... occasionally slowing down to overtake if the road wasnt clear... jus before hoskote, a chauffeur driven elantra overtook me from left when i was looking to overtake another truck... and that made me wonder how much time this guy will save by overtaking from left on the highway? anyways... so after hoskote, i was cruising at 120 most of the way.
reached woodys which is i think 70 kms from blore but i wasnt really looking at the odo. had sambar vada, rava dosa and coffee. half an hour break and then time to start back coz i wanted to be in blore before dark. when i was having coffee, saw a padmini and a maroon octy leave the place around 5 mins before me.
So... time to start back.... and i am driving in my usual passive aggressive way... dropping to third when overtaking and all.. anyways, soon i see a maroon thingy ahead of me... as i get closer i realise that its the same octy that had left some time back....jus when i got close to it, it took off. soon the gap between us widened.. there were 4 or 5 cars between us. as soon as the road cleared, i overtook them and started gaining on the octy... i was in 4th when i happened to look at the needle... it was hovering at 130... and i had not floored it yet.. so i thot... wot r we waiting for? 4th gear and i hit 140. straight road, not a soul in sight.... nothing coming from the front... nothing ahead of us... and before i knew it... i was overtakin the octy!! well, we had to hit traffic eventually... and this time it was my turn to widen the gap. once i reached hoskote, it was bumper to bumper traffic all the way back home*sigh*

anyways, reached home safe n sound.

tomorrow am thinking of kanakpura road...

cheers
amitoj
Old 26th March 2005, 20:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

At least you could have picked up the phone and...

Good to know that you had a great driving afternoon. But Kanakpura road is not as free as old Madras road. Lots of ups and downs so take it really easy. Happy motoring.
Old 26th March 2005, 20:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
At least you could have picked up the phone and...

Good to know that you had a great driving afternoon. But Kanakpura road is not as free as old Madras road. Lots of ups and downs so take it really easy. Happy motoring.
oops... wont make that mistake again! sowwiieeee.

Ups n downs are ok... as long as the traffic is light. Am thinking of going in the afternoon... normally traffic is less around that time. wot say?
U have any other suggestions? The hosur krishnagiri is kinda beaten track...
and the outer ring road is too crowded...
hows the hyderabad road for the first 100 - 150 kms or so?

Cheers
amitoj
Old 26th March 2005, 20:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

First choice is correct only. Afternoon should be ok.
Old 26th March 2005, 21:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

now amitoj find 2-3 sacks and stuff them into ur dicky.then see the difference on corners.
Old 27th March 2005, 00:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys why don't yo'll try the Blore-Tumkur road.Roads are good enuf.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2005, 04:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

what car do you drive?
Old 27th March 2005, 09:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
now amitoj find 2-3 sacks and stuff them into ur dicky.then see the difference on corners.
Lol.. yeah gonna try that sometime now... jus havta find the gunny sacks.. provided corners are on the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Guys why don't yo'll try the Blore-Tumkur road.Roads are good enuf.

Shan2nu
Had gone on blore tumkur road till nelamangala when i went to Kemmanagundi. The road was good but takes a long time to leave the city traffic behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r

what car do you drive?
i drive a 98 zen, stock except for the k&n filter.

Cheers
amitoj

Last edited by amitoj : 27th March 2005 at 09:57.
Old 28th March 2005, 00:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Kanakpura road...

Ok so i went down kanakpura road today...
i had some nice memories of this road from almost 4 years back when i used to go down that road on my bike... me on caliber and my friend on his CBZ. lol.. he often used to ask me,... "are u sure ur bike is around 100 cc?" so i had nice memory of wide empty roads and broad curves where i could bend the bike so low that my knee would be centimeters above the ground.
But alas... that vision was shattered today. Just out of bangalore and those curves have been dug up... there is this stone filled patch of road at every bend. i think its a good thing coz those areas have become a lot more populated now and u dont really want bikers crashing into people.
There are good patches on that road, but you have to work hard to get there...the good portion with levelled road and nice smooth bends starts around 8 - 10 kms before kanakpura and ends about 8 kms after kanakpura. specially enjoyable are the "tank bund roads"... but mind you, these are more dangerous also coz any slight miscalculation and u could end up in the tank... which could be dry also!!!
Also have to watch out for buses blocking one side of the road to take passengers... and also there are sections on that road where one side of it has been dug up... jus for a few meters or so.... and u dont want ur car to enter those dug up sections at even 40 kmph.
Oh and one more thing... if u want to have nariyalpaani... have it before kanakpura coz after kanakpura... they all become extinct. nariyalpaani was the reason that i kept on driving for around 35 kms after kanakpura even though the road had become kinda tiresome. finally, i gave up... found a nice shady tree on the other side of the road... made a u turn.. and jus kinda enjoyed the shade. lol... typical city boy of me. isnt it?
anyways.. drive back to town was pretty much same... nothing much to write about.
max i hit on that road was 120 kmph but that was only for a fraction of a second... average speed around 45 kmph.. thanks to two wheelers and autos.

Anyways... bottomline.. i wish i had gone down the old madras road again. or even the hosur krishnagiri GQ road.
Dont go to Kanakpura road for a drive... though can go to visit one of the dhabas jus outside the city. cheap food.

Cheers
Amitoj
PS: There are a LOT of navy blue omnis outside of bangalore... any idea why?

Most Viewed