Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 09:52   #1
BANNED

Victim of Roadrage

This happened on thursday evening when I and my friends were about to leave Bangy on a long weekend trip.

I am on my way to pick up my friends and the first happens to be in Koramangala. It is around 7.30pm and I approach the intersection of the main road near games village and the koramangla police station road. Just before the junction I pick up my friend from the left side of the road and since I have to head to Indiranagar to pick up the rest I have to take the right turn at the intersection. But the intersection has a few vehicles waiting at the signal so I move my car to the center of the road and put on my right indicator and wait. Now there comes a lancer behind me and honks because he can't take a free left turn. I edge a little forward but can't give him much room because there is traffic moving from the left and turning right into this road. I signal him that I can't move much further. He keeps on honking without a break and in the next moment I see him next to me- He come and shouts something and before I can explain him he immediately snatched the car keys from the open window and flings them across the road. First I am shocked, then I am furious but control my anger and ask my friend to get the keys but my friend gets out of the car and starts arguing with him instead of getting the keys. . He has thrown the keys somewhere on the left side foot path and its dark and the place he flung is having drains and open gutter. I get out and see that I can't find the keys. That arrogant guy was ready to leave after this act but we restrained him from leaving for sometime and I patiently asked him why did he do that, which he just dismissed. Surprisingly there is this lady sitting next to him who is supporting him in this deed by justifying his act and shouting at me whenever I questioned them about their act.
I really was so incensed and pissed off by his behaviour but controlled my feelings as I didn't want to spoil our trip with a bad incident.

There was a policeman whom we complained to but he wanted us to lodge a complaint. I thought about it but saw that it wouldn't make any difference and also we were about to leave for the weekend, so didn't do that. Later the couple must have felt bad about their behaviour and tried to search with us for the key but it was in vain. I told them they could leave after sometime.

I finally couldn't trace the key but had to go back home in an auto and get the spare key and continue with out journey.

I am really shocked and sad with the rude and vulgar attitude displayed by the apparently educated couple. We always think that it is the autowallahs or the cabbies who resort to such behaviour but this malady looks to be more general.
---------------------------------------------------------
Also I have a question- Should I go for a new set of keys or just a replacement for the missing key as I feel the thrown key might actually have been taken by someone among the crowd at the time of the incident?
Old 6th October 2008, 10:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very nice of you to control your anger, much appreciated!

Quote:
Should I go for a new set of keys or just a replacement for the missing key as I feel the thrown key might actually have been taken by someone among the crowd at the time of the incident?
Better change to new set of lock & key, if it's not too much of a hassle.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its good to have not lost your cool but I think you should have lodged a complaint, take them to the police station and waste some of their time too.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:08   #4
BHPian

Zaks,

WE have well educated people on the road / behind the wheels. But unfortunately, we do not have well cultured people on the road / behind the wheels. Does that education bring any values to these people? NO and I don't have any doubts on the same.

As for the keys, I suggest, get them changed. Any value of replacement is far less than the value of your beloved car.

take care and drive safely.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its good to have not lost your cool but I think you should have lodged a complaint, take them to the police station and waste some of their time too.

I agree, that would have been the right thing to do, but knowing our police, they would have just pocketed money from both of them and let everybody go.

What he should have done is collect money from the guy for replacement of locks.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:20   #6
BHPian

If you tolerate injustice then you are as much at fault! You should have atleast lodged a complaint against that idiot.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:21   #7
BHPian

Very sad to hear about this nasty event. Truly surprised to hear about this as what in the world was the lancer fella thinking when he flung your keys out. With you car in the middle of the road anyways create more problems for everyone and this lack of common sense is what infuriates me.

Shame on them and good to know that you had your nerves in control.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:29   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Zaks, your behaviour after the person threw the keys was commendable..but iam not sure of it before. I mean, look at it from that persons view. He comes to a junction where there is a free left and finds someone in the left lane with a right indicator. If one on the t-bhp guys was in the lancer, i am sure there would have been a message on how someone was blocking his way, no lane discipline,etc etc. He doesnt know and doest care about why you are there. I definitely agree that person overreacted and it was definite roadrage. Since, you already knew your route, you could have picked up your friend a little before or after the right turn instead of right at the junction. Just my thoughts...nothing personal. P.S. I am not the guy in the lancer
Old 6th October 2008, 10:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear this. People are simply losing the great virtues of patience and respect. Perhaps it is still not too late for you to make the police complaint if you have the details like vehicle number etc.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:41   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If you tolerate injustice then you are as much at fault! You should have atleast lodged a complaint against that idiot.
I very much agree that we should always lodge a complaint against the culprits but this incident, I felt, was something unusual as compared to general wrong doings on the road. He just threw my keys, its almost funny if not for the loss of keys and time.
Also I think he felt a little guilty at the end when he offered me his car to get my spare keys, so just let that go.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Also I think he felt a little guilty at the end when he offered me his car to get my spare keys, so just let that go.
Wow! Now this is truly amazing. First, the guy loses his control and flings your car keys into wilderness and then feels bad about it and offers his car for getting the duplicate keys. He is an amazing character, I say.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Now there comes a lancer behind me and honks because he can't take a free left turn.
Is that the intersection where they have recently put up traffic lights? If thats the one, then it does NOT have a free left turn anyway!! One needs to wait for the green left signal.

Anyway, nice of you to control your reactions.
Old 6th October 2008, 11:01   #13
BANNED

I think the guy acted in a fit of anger. With traffic these days everyone seems to be on the edge. I believe he later regretted offering the help he could. Imagine arguing with a cab or an auto then.

Last edited by Spitfire : 6th October 2008 at 11:04.
Old 6th October 2008, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

A good idea wouldve been to have flung his car keys in the opposite direction as far as you could. He could then vent his extra energy to finding his keys than to his roadrage.

Its good on your part to show restraint though.
Old 6th October 2008, 11:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

zaks, that was a bad incident and the timing was very wrong am sure it would have spoiled the mood completely!

btw was the car parked in the middle os the road till you got the spare key?

Most Viewed