Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 19:56   #1
BHPian

Madurai to Guruvayur (NH-49 & NH-47) - Query on road condition

Hello

I am exploring the option of traveling by road between Madurai to Guruvayur in December 2008.

Can you please let me know
(a) the quality of roads i.e. two lane / single lane; potholed or smooth etc
(b) the nature of terrain (plains or hilly)
(c) safety and comfort (for a family of four, including parents)
(d) estimated travel time

I assume that i will be taking the NH 49 to Kochi (or some place close to Kochi) and then taking the NH 47 to Thrissur. Please let me know if that is correct.

Warm regards

Swami
Old 6th October 2008, 21:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

NH49 and NH47:

Madurai-Andipatti-Theni-Bodinayakanur-Bodi Medu-Poopara-Munnar-Kothamangalam-Perumbavoor-Kaladi-Angamali (NH47)-Chalakudy-Trissur-Guruvayoor.

Till Bodinayakanur, it is plain roads, good condition, except for blind and deaf pedestrians.
Thereafter, it is ghats, jungles, tea estates.
You hit plains again after descending around 30 kms from Munnar.
Road is 2 lane all the way.
Persons with mountain sickness are likley to face nausea problems.
Lots of turns and twists in the road.
Weather will be cool in the hilly areas.
Night driving to be avoided if not familiar with the road.
Fog possibilities in Bodi-Medu-Munnar-Adimali road.
Full day travel. One day enough.
No safety issues.

If you want to avoid mountain driving, you can take an alternative plains route:
Madurai-Dindigul (on NH7)-Sembatti-Ottanchatram-Palani-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Palakkad (no need to go to Coimbatore)-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor.
Old 6th October 2008, 21:37   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Palakkad (no need to go to Coimbatore)-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor.
Palakkad - Ottappalam is in excellent condition; except for tarring going on in certain stretches near Ottapalam. Ottapalam - Pattambi should be in good condition.
Old 6th October 2008, 22:08   #4
BHPian

Was going to Athirampally from Coimbatore on Saturday. We crossed Palakkad, Trichur and Chalakudy onroute to that place. The road from Palghat to Trichur is not in great shape. I would defintely not suggest night driving in this section
Old 7th October 2008, 13:48   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the response. and for the alternate route too. The plains route definitely seems more practical (though less scenic!)

If am not wrong, the route from Palakkad to Thrissur being referred to by Backseatdriver & Kumar is different from the one that Arun has taken on Saturday last. Arun probably has taken the NH47 while the other route passes close to Shoranur.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also would I be correct in assuming that the time taken by either routes from Madurai is the same (~ 8 hours)?
Old 7th October 2008, 15:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post

I am exploring the option of traveling by road between Madurai to Guruvayur in December 2008.
Isnt it too early to check the road conditions..
I just now did a trip to Munnar (went in via Theni and came down via Udumalapet)

Roads around Udumalapet were excellent. Butter smooth two way roads.
(I travelled from Udumalapet to Tiruppur. Could easily do 90s). Generally there is lot of 4 laning going on in TN.

Theni- Munnar-Adimalai route is scenic and curvaceous. Fog will be heavy (that too in Dec). So take this ONLY in day time. I was caught in the stretch between 6:30 to 7:30 PM. It was scary without fog lights.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Thanks for the response. and for the alternate route too. The plains route definitely seems more practical (though less scenic!)
i would recommend this alternate route. I just took the Bodi - Munnar & Munnar Udumalapet route. Eventhough the distance is less, it will take more time due to the curvy ghat sections. Unless you really want to spend time seeing those scenic views, stay away from that section.

You could do around 30-40kmph in this section. Also, you may have landslides if it rains heavily. So, if you have time constraints, then the alternate route mentioned by HVKumar is best.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:50   #8
BANNED

Quote:
If am not wrong, the route from Palakkad to Thrissur being referred to by Backseatdriver & Kumar is different from the one that Arun has taken on Saturday last.
Yes. If you come via Coimbatore / Pollachi, you reach {Chandranagar - not sure of the name} end of the Palakkad byepass; byepass continues to the left, you continue straight to enter Palakkad town to go via Ottapalam - Pattambi. You need not go to Shornur.

If you go to Shornur, you can continue to Wadakkancherry, take a right just after the Govt. Hospital at Wadakkancherry, and reach Kunnamkulam (the Erumapetty route); or continue after Wadakkancherry railway gate, take a right (there is a rail overbridge on same level as the road - the railway line is below the road level) to reach Guruvayoor via Kechery (pronounced "kay - cheri"). The roads I suggested after Wadakkancherry are rural roads - not much of potholes, not much traffic, but no markings either.
Old 13th October 2008, 17:08   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback.

Will update the thread after I undertake the journey.
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:29   #10
BHPian

Theni to Guruvayur route info...

Hi All,

Didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic, so giving life to the nearely 2 year old thread.

Please somebody advice the practical possible route to Guruvayur from Theni with 3 months old baby in the Car. The travelling will be on 16/10 morning.

Really wants to do in Munnar stretch, but please advice the distance and present road conditions to Guruvayur from Theni Via Munnar. Have travelled more till Munnar to our estate. But after that have no idea. Also please advice the approx time taken in the stretch. Will be travelling in 2007 Maruti Esteem VXi and we have 4 members with a 3months old baby. Is it really safe driving in this stretch with 3months old baby?

If not the distance and present road conditions thru Pollachi - Palakad stretch and the time taken.

Rgds,
Ram.
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

From Theni to Guruvayur via Munnar:

Theni-Bodinayakanur 15 kms-Bodi medu 27-Poopara 11-Devikulam 25-Munnar 7-Adimali 28-Kothamangalam 51-Perumbavur 12-Angamali 20-Chalakudy 15-Trissur 30-Guruvayur 25

Theni-MUnnar, 2.5 hrs
Munnar-Angamali, 3 hrs
Angamali-Guruvayur, 2 hrs

Road conditions good. No safety issues. Foggy conditions approaching MUnnar. Expect dense traffic conditions from Kothamangalam onwards.

If you want to go via POllachi,
Theni-Periakulam 15 kms-Sembatti 45-Ottanchatram 30-Palani 30-Udumalaipet 35-Pollachi 30-Palakkad 50-Ottapalam 30-Shoranur 10-Pattambi 15-Perumpilavu 20-Kunnamkulam 15-Guruvayur 10

Theni-Pollachi, 4.5 hrs
Pollachi-Palakkad, 1.5 hrs
Palakkad-Guruvayur, 2.5 hrs
Old 24th September 2010, 14:02   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the info,

My friend suggest me to take from poopara to Adimali via Rajakad to avoid munnar. Is the road condition on this stretch is okay? Can we save any travelling in this.

Rgds,

Ram.
Old 24th September 2010, 23:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Angamali-Guruvayur, 2 hrs
Expect heavy traffic in this stretch. It can take more time - plan up to 4hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
My friend suggest me to take from poopara to Adimali via Rajakad to avoid munnar. Is the road condition on this stretch is okay? Can we save any travelling in this.
I was there last weekend. The road from Bodimettu till Pooppara (11kms) is not very smooth - but no potholes. Rest from Pooppara - Rajakumari (8kms)- Rajakkad (8Kms)- Ponmudi (7kms)- Vellathooval (5kms) is in excellent condition.

Vellathooval - Kallarkutty (5kms) - I did not cover. Expecting that this also must be good.

Kallarkutty - Adimali(8kms) is also in very good condition.

Theni - Pooppara - would be 1:30Hrs
Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimali should be another 1:15Hrs, if you don't miss any directions.

Some 3Kms after Pooppara, there is a tricky left turn (It is a T junction where the straight goes to Khajanappara - one need to take a 90 degree turn to left to Rajakumari/Rajakkad).

Once that is over - it is straight all the way till Rajakkad town. In the middle of the town, you need a 90 degree left again. Towards the end of town, keep right at the fork to go towards Ponmudi.

Around 5kms after this, there is a sharp right turn - you need to be extremely careful to spot this turn. The main road continues on downward slope - but, this deviation is a better road. if you miss this turn, you will see the water from DAM on your left and road becomes a pack of rocks!. Right fork there would lead you to hanging bridge (bit scary). If you continue straight, this stretch is some 100 meters of boulders and you can go over dam and take right to continue.

Ok. if you have spotted that sharp right turn before this, take that and keep going down. Watch for a sharp left turn after some 1 Kms. here also, keep watching as the chances of missing this is very high. Another tip is to keep asking people on the road for directions to vellathooval.

Once that turn is done - almost straight till Kallarkutty where you need a "U" trun. That comes immediately after crossing the Kallarkutty dam through the bridge.

Last edited by bijuks : 24th September 2010 at 23:18.
Old 24th September 2010, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
Thanks for the info,

Rgds,

Ram.
Although Biju has explained the Poopara-Rajakkad-Adimali route very comprehensively, I feel that it is better to stick to the road via Munnar since it is simpler, and you may save just 15-30 minutes. Savings in distance will be around 20 kms.
Old 24th September 2010, 23:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Although Biju has explained the Poopara-Rajakkad-Adimali route very comprehensively, I feel that it is better to stick to the road via Munnar since it is simpler, and you may save just 15-30 minutes. Savings in distance will be around 20 kms.
That is true. Since you are driving there for the first time, stick to NH49 through Munnar. Drive from Pooppara all the way till Adimali is scenic too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks