Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 16:10   #16
BHPian

There's nothing called as left U-turn in India. Try analysing it. Have you ever taken a left u turn?? Its only possible in countries having right hand side driving lanes like in U.S.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:14   #17
BANNED

@amitpunjani: Heard about lanes? Heard about traffic discipline? Heard about right of way? Heard about commonsense?

What next indicator to show i am going straight?

Frivolous stuff man - make the license issuing, a hardcore tool to weed out the trafic problems today. Lane cutting Rs 1000, one headlight not working - jail term. See what happened when the mumbai police started throwing everyone into the slammers for drunken driving. Put these in place and see people shouting out loud U-TURN U-TURN before they actually take the turn, forget signalling.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:16   #18
manukale

what about a ultra voilet indicatoron both the sides?!!

Amit's suggestion in very good. In fact I was having the same thing in mind for quite some time, but Amit gave it words & I agree to it.

You must have seen Blue coloured LEDs on the no. plates of many cars. If those LEDs are fixed as an OEM accessory - acting as blinkers for the "U turn". The colour will differentiate from the regular right turn indicator & it can be used for both - left & right sides.

The LED may not be that bright in the day (as they are in the night) - so some Audio signal could also be added to it.

The point is - there must be something to indiate the "U" turn.

Old 15th October 2008, 16:38   #19
BHPian

If you are allowed to take right, and if u have ur right indicator on, You are free to take right. And mostly we wont take left U turns here
Old 15th October 2008, 16:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

In most of the Indian vehicle where normal indicator would not work, you are expecting much more U turn indicator. Most of the buses, trucks, cabs would not have proper indicator, brake light, wiper, stop light, rear light and they drive freely.

First demand for all lights should be working in above vehicles then only U turn will do.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
There's nothing called as left U-turn in India. Try analysing it. Have you ever taken a left u turn?? Its only possible in countries having right hand side driving lanes like in U.S.
Err... you point is valid.
But come down to chennai you'll see all kind of U turns and crazy stunts.
Driving/Riding on the wrong side of the road is like the "in" thing here.

Lot of people tend to do it, its nuts if you ask me.
Well I don't.

Anyway no one uses any kind of signal's so U turn or just normal turn does't make any difference
Old 15th October 2008, 18:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Come to Bangalore. We'll show you BRILLIANTLY designed intersections where 8 roads meet and how we do a LEFT U-Turn to the Service Road.

For example: The intersection in front of Intel on Outer Ring Road.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:11   #23
BHPian

More than U turn indicators, we need a overtake me/don't overtake me indicator.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:16   #24
BANNED

A doubt - I come to a roundabout and since I have some free time and want to admire the statue there from all sides, I want to go round and round this roundabout - how do I indicate my intentions?
Old 15th October 2008, 18:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
More than U turn indicators, we need a overtake me/don't overtake me indicator.
I fully agree. Especially on highways in some places, the truck drivers put on the right indicator to convey overtaking – rather stupid way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
A doubt - I come to a roundabout and since I have some free time and want to admire the statue there from all sides, I want to go round and round this roundabout - how do I indicate my intentions?
Ha! Why don’t you make a round ring of running LED sign on your car and have it on!!
Old 15th October 2008, 20:57   #26
BHPian

Right side U-Turn indicaters will be really helpful, I am also thinking about this for few years.
Old 15th October 2008, 21:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manukale View Post
The point is - there must be something to indiate the "U" turn.
Since a left U turn does not create any confusion if you have been keeping to the leftmost lane, we need to deal with only the right U turn.
Why would you need a special signal for it? Are you planning to overtake the car in front right AT the moment he's doing a right turn? A U turn is nothing but two right turns. Why is a special signal required for it?? Let the car finish the manoeuvre before doing anything stupid!

Last edited by anupmathur : 15th October 2008 at 21:20.
Old 16th October 2008, 07:59   #28
BHPian

The present signals would be good enough if followed truly. Good use of headlights and left / right indicators should be fine for overtaking / do not overtake stuff as well but it would be really good if there are indicators for the same without more added stalks on the dashboard or may be have buttons to the steering for them would be good. And for U Turn how about a big cluster as we see in Indica Vista and other SUVs extend all over the height of the boot and connect at the extra break light which can have some arrows blinking to indiciate U Turns

May be some upcoming concept car would include this

For extra reading, please refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vertaking.html

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 16th October 2008 at 08:05.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Right side U-Turn indicaters will be really helpful, I am also thinking about this for few years.

Thanks teddy bear

At least somebody agrees with me fully.

amit
Old 16th October 2008, 09:36   #30
BHPian

Actually, I would like to ban U turns all together as they create traffic problems. I would rather prefer to drive few meters more rather than sit in a traffic snarl.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks