Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 00:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dangerous Roads

Yeah, the roads are getting better. But not as good as one would like. The concrete sections is almost good, but the following are just too frustrating and SERIOUSLY dangerous:
  • concrete blocks not aligned well
  • at places where there is no dividers, the thin center concrete block is not filled. This is a pure killer for any biker.
  • signals not working
  • vertical LOGS inside manhole, another killer
  • No proper barricades if a manhole is open
  • the stupid open manhole covers
  • the stupid manhole covered filled with trash or whatever they could find
  • the missing paver blocks
  • completely unlevelled paver blocks
  • the blocks not aligned properly at the side of the concrete road
I was supposed to click a pic of this open hole near Andheri Station SV Road two days back, but didn't. Today I had reason to:

Dangerous Roads-16102008001.jpg

Dangerous Roads-16102008.jpg

Poor SX4 was in tripod mode.
Old 17th October 2008, 00:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are more of these at the Milan Subway signal too.

Then we also have a poorly constructed Malad-Dahisar Link Road, which is very very unlevelled.

I honestly think that asphalt is a mucchh better option than paver blocks.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

I do agree with you. I have no idea why are paver blocks being used for the roads. They usually should be placed over concrete not on loose soil and also they are easily loosing out their flatness.
Open manholes are common and i have seen a manhole which is covered by a sheet of metal. The surface is not flat and it can easily make a biker fall off.
Old 17th October 2008, 14:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

The entire Andheri-kurla strech would be a death trap for the first time biker on this route especially so in the rains.. huge pothole and open drain covers and un predictable water logging ..
Old 17th October 2008, 14:23   #5
BHPian

The blocks are good only if used on a proper concrete surface. Looking at the picture, I don't think there is any kind of concrete surface below these blocks and hence these huge craters. Sad situation as there is absolutely no accountability in India on what these public and government agencies do. I wish, one day we can sue them for such pathetic job and claim for all the damages.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:47   #6
BHPian

Open Drainage between to parallel road.
Sudden divider.
Extra Ordinary height of the Hump.
Old 18th October 2008, 02:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tell me, even if we sue them, who will pay for the damages? If the civic body pays, then in effect it is tax payer's (you and me) money... so our own money comes back to us for damages suffered by us?!?!? No way... we need a system where we can make the people responsible for this kind of atrocious work pay from THEIR pockets!!!
Old 18th October 2008, 15:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

A couple of weeks back at the Saat Rasta in Mahalaxmi, a huge section of the road with paver blocks caved in taking a truck with it inside the huge crater. I believe one person died in that 'freak accident.'

What happened after that? Some noises were made about re-looking at the way paver blocks are installed but as usual the 'action' taken died a natural death. If the authorities arrest each and every driver for rash and negligent driving then shouldnt the engineers be arrested for negligence too? In such cases, the BMC and the engineer of that road/section/zone should be asked to take care of the family of the deceased for the rest of their lives apart from handing out a lumpsum compenstaion. That's the only way these people will improve. A government job is the easiest job in India. Both legal and illegal remuneration with zero responsiblity. Charo haath aur muh ghee mein.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2008, 17:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Outside Pop Tate's (now Jugheads) in Powai @ 9 pm. Come out of a lane from where I had parked, towards the main road. No street lights - There is a hump because the road has been cemented - as I am turning, suddenly I see something black just ahead of my bumper and I instinctively brake hard.

Get out and check what the black thing was and to my horror - it was a crater cutting the cemented road (a divider was to be made there). If I had not stopped - the RS would have dived in and then I shudder to think what would have happened.

This happened over 3 months ago and yesterday, when I passed that area, I see the crater is still as it was.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

@NC well i do live overlooking that road. When that small stretch was actually concretised there was a hoarding put up congrajulating the local corporator for getting it concretised!! Trust me it has been like that since they made it. There have been 3 accidents where a tire of a car has gone in there.

The worst stretch is JVLR. There is this flyover which is being constructed to make an underpass for vehicles going to Chandivali studio which we have named Powai to Powai flyover. This is comparitively short but has been in this incomplete state from 1.6 yrs. Well so much about making the place shanghai!!
Old 20th October 2008, 20:28   #11
BHPian

Highways here near Jamnagar don't have any sort of signals o r things to tell that there is some divider ahead .
Had a narrow shave months ago when the zen in front of us suddenly started braking and turned too the right. But we were still a fair speed and suddenly a divider and some road construction comes to sight. My dad breaks haaaard and we stopped inches before the starting of the divider. Thank God there were no cars behind us, otherwise it could have proven fatal.
Old 20th October 2008, 20:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

I feel all the roads in this country are dangerous. There will be more better roads in future but our driving habit will never change.

I'm saying this after covering 350 km today.
Old 20th October 2008, 21:04   #13
BHPian

Absolute point rudra. I am more bothered about dangerous drivers rather than dangerous roads.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I was supposed to click a pic of this open hole near Andheri Station SV Road two days back, but didn't. Today I had reason to
Poor SX4 was in tripod mode.
Hey, I'd seen an Optra do a 'tripod' at the same spot, almost a month ago. That was during the morning peak hour.

Thought they had repaired it, or at least that's the impression I got the next time I passed by. Guess i was wrong.

And yeah, paver blocks are their way of saying the joke's on you mate!
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Powai to Powai flyover

You forgot to mention the 'small' change in the road level that happens in the opposite lane, right at the mouth of this 'flyover'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks