Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 02:08   #1
BHPian

A burst Tyre

This friday while going to my office , I decided on taking a short cut and on the bumpy road i hit something, i dunno what. and i lost control. Would have plunged into the "nala" on the left had i not braked hard. Got down and saw that the left front tyre had burst. Cursed my luck ... the tyre had given away within 4500kms.
Decided on changing the tyre or the first time in my life. Rolled up my sleeves , pulled out the user manual and got down to work. Took me over 15 minutes to take out the wheel cap. Changed the tyre . Didnt have enough energy to place all the stuff neatly back into the boot. All took me around 35 minutes.... not bad for a first timer.

Will have to buy a new tyre now, so have a few questions.

> Are tyres covered under warranty. For how many kilometers/months?
> Can i buy a new tyre that is different from the rest... say a michelin ? How good or bad will that be ?
Old 20th October 2008, 11:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post

> Can i buy a new tyre that is different from the rest... say a michelin ? How good or bad will that be ?
Definitely... Tyre manufacturers do provide warranty, please check with the authorized tyre dealer.

It is strongly not advised to have different tyre types. it could affect the driving dynamics of the car and prove dangerous during braking, cornering
All the tyres should be of the same type/brand
Old 20th October 2008, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
T Got down and saw that the left front tyre had burst.
Seems like you were on Tubed tyres. Tell us which make were they and on which car?Usually tubeless tyres helps in these situations as they wouldn't burst,but then again if you were doing lesser speeds usually any tyres won't behave the way yours did.Most likely the culprit would be a big nail or something similar,but then saying that probably your tyre had a bulged side-wall or a weak point somewhere which helped the nail in the circumstances.
Make sure that you check all tyres before you embark on any journey however small they maybe.I do that always.Saves you a lot in terms of everything in the run.
Even Nylon cross ply tyres lasts longer than what you have mentioned.Check all the tyres to see their date of manufacture too.Hopefully they aren't very dated ones.
Old 20th October 2008, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Definitely... Tyre manufacturers do provide warranty, please check with the authorized tyre dealer.

It is strongly not advised to have different tyre types. it could affect the driving dynamics of the car and prove dangerous during braking, cornering
All the tyres should be of the same type/brand
Very true,
Get the same manufacturer, same ratings - size, speed, load rating etc..

Check the side wall of the tyre for all details. eg: 195/65R15 91 H
Old 20th October 2008, 20:22   #5
BHPian

Ya, stick to the same brand and specs of other 3 tyres for the sake of safety.
Good that the car wasn't at speed otherwise it would have been hard to bring it under control and to a stop.
Which car was it, BTW? Had it tubetype or tubeless tyres?
Old 20th October 2008, 20:36   #6
BHPian

It must be under warranty, read the manual or call your dealer, he can give your manufacturere support number, if there is any manufacturing default you will get new one otherwise buy new one
Old 20th October 2008, 23:07   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Champ. I had tubeless tyres, the stock ones that came with my Dzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Seems like you were on Tubed tyres. Tell us which make were they and on which car?Usually tubeless tyres helps in these situations as they wouldn't burst,but then again if you were doing lesser speeds usually any tyres won't behave the way yours did.Most likely the culprit would be a big nail or something similar,but then saying that probably your tyre had a bulged side-wall or a weak point somewhere which helped the nail in the circumstances.
Make sure that you check all tyres before you embark on any journey however small they maybe.I do that always.Saves you a lot in terms of everything in the run.
Even Nylon cross ply tyres lasts longer than what you have mentioned.Check all the tyres to see their date of manufacture too.Hopefully they aren't very dated ones.

Last edited by F50 : 21st October 2008 at 00:30.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:11   #8
BHPian

Thnx for_car,sam003 and laluks. Will check with the tyre guy if I am lucky.

@ esteemer
It was a DZire. Stock tubeless tyres.
Old 21st October 2008, 01:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mentos - Whether the tyre can be claimed or not depends on multiple conditions including but not limited to: Date of Purchase/Manufacture, Reason for failure (Impact, Manufacturing defect, user negligence etc.) etc. etc.

It would be helpful if you could post more details about which tyre you have & pictures of how the tyre looked after it blew out.

P.S. Here's a guide you might find useful: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...flat-tyre.html

P.P.S. Ok, so JK's on Dzire. Post some pics so we can see the damage & probable cause.
Old 21st October 2008, 02:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd be very surprised if you got a warranty replacement for a tire damaged by driving over something --- there is no way that that can be put down to to the manufacturer, unless they put the thing in the road!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks