Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:29   #1
BHPian

Qualis hitting from behind; what can we do?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share an incident which happened yesterday where i felt so helpless!!!

Yesterday i was coming back from office in my car. It was raining at that time and since main road was completely jammed, all the vehicles were taking the service road. I also took the service road and reached the signal (Nagawara signal). On my right there is also a Sumo which is waiting for the light to turn green.

There was a maroon qualis behind me who was honking for sometime, but i could not move since the signal was red. I just looked thru rear view mirror at him. Suddenly he hit my car from behind. I was shocked, and while i was thinking what to do, he came out from the Qualis and started shouting at me in some language which i couldnt understand...

After that, while i was about to react, the lights suddenly went green and he pulled to the right and drove off. I couldnt get his vehicle number even..

I checked the damage in my car and it was only a small scratch, but i felt so helpless, angry and frustrated i couldnt do anything.....

What can we do in such a situation?
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Your thread name is confusing me. It sounds like a Qualis keeps on hitting you from the back..
Quote:
he came out from the Qualis and started shouting at me in some language which i couldnt understand...
Must be a call center cabby guy. They always take this kind of advantage.

So you said nothing to him?
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Hi guys,
I checked the damage in my car and it was only a small scratch, but i felt so helpless, angry and frustrated i couldnt do anything.....

Sorry to hear about that. If you don't know the language and don't desire to get physical with the driver who took the liberty of hitting your car from behind, the best recourse is to grab a couple of drinks, get support from an amazing forum like tbhp, and put it behind you.

Hopeless as it may seem, I am not sure there is better alternative.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this incident and can identify how frustrating this can be.

However much it would seem tempting/instinctive to get physical in such situations, it is not a good idea when it comes to cabbies, auto-drivers, govt bus drivers etc, because there is a probability of their ganging up against you, given that there are so many of them on the roads.

I would suggest you initiate police action against them in such situations. In most cases, he would be racing against time to do his official duty and the last thing he would want is to be delayed by legal action.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

are you a tourist visiting Bangalore? ;-)

you should thank the signal for turning green, or it would have gotten ugly.

sorry for being cynical but one learns a lot after losing all fist fights and paying for expensive repair jobs :-)
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Yesterday i was coming back from office in my car. It was raining at that time and since main road was completely jammed, all the vehicles were taking the service road. I also took the service road and reached the signal (Nagawara signal).
I guess you were coming out of Manyata Embassy Campus. Usually the cops allow vehicles coming from the service road to join the ring road even if the lights are red; just to avoid a pile up. Maybe that is why the Qualis guy was honking at you.
Too bad for you that you dint know this.
Still, it does not give him a right to bang your vehicle.
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

The title really made me think, a qualis is hitting your back everyday ! If the result is a 'small scratch', take it as a small itching on your hand till bath and ignore it. I find almost every vehicle in bangalore has a dent, scratch or atleast a rubbed up mark somewhere on the body. It could be your own fault or something that happend in a parking area (while left parked).

BPO cabbies act like 'gundas' wherever possible, also they drive like maniacs, 99% of the time running late (thanks to the heavy traffic and extra waiting at pick up points).

Dealing with cabbies is a disputed topic, discussed in few other threads too. But coming to a conclusion is not an easy task. Best suggestion one can keep in mind are;

1. Dont step out of your vehicle in case of an issue with cabbies
2. Try to talk with great patience but with dignity
3. Dont argue, dont even think about proving 'who is right here'
4. Ignore the whole incident if your damage is very minute
5. Think about your family, dear ones etc. dont invite trouble
6. Use the word "SORRY" whenever possible, thats a word without any language barriers nor regions. It applies even if you are innocent.

Now dont think I am Gandhigiri. But practically this is the only way to survive in a city. Personally I would jump out of my car and beat the breath out of the guy who hit me. I would stop punching him only when I am 100% sure that he cant raise his hand towards me. But comeon, we are not living in movies, we cant underestimate anyone on the road. A lean guy half of your size might beat you to death if your brains are not working on time. So, lets be happy scratchers and kissers on road !
Old 23rd October 2008, 23:32   #8
BHPian

This is a real concern now a days in Bangalore Road. I don't know why the police is not taking any action on them. They drive as if they have permission to do any thing they want. They drive their car as if they don't bother any one else for any thing. They have only rights to drive. I have seen in kolkata how these cabbies get handled by the public. I wish we all can do same here to these cabbies/gunda.
I also feel that its our fault to travel in such a Cab. The employee/employer and mostly the passenger has to think while traveling. These rash driving can lead to some accident in which you will get punished. My relative we to coimbatore while coming back he met with an accident due to rash driving. My relative has to pay for the drivers treatment too as he didnt had money. These bull**** corporate and the travel companies just want to make money...
Old 24th October 2008, 00:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

this is shocking ! the fellow deliberately did this? :x .if no other thing is possible ,why not get down and kick qualis' front glass lamps? .today ,a fellow on bolero hit my bullet's tail lamp in NH47 stop and go traffic.he was escaping that I asked him to stop .politely told him the loss is around Rs200 and the guy gave it and left.

But with drivers for BPO and all ,best thing is to destruct his vehicle deliberately the same way what he has done on yours.yeah ,it sounds like in goonda land.but this is what works!

OT:bangalore is a hill resort and it is made forcibly to a metro city ,thanks to the climate and polite,multilingual locals.if given a chance ,why not shift to a better city with extra resources.I know ,for NI ,it is difficult to adjust in cities like madras.but still...
Old 24th October 2008, 02:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

JI was shocked, and while i was thinking what to do, he came out from the Qualis and started shouting at me in some language which i couldnt understand...

After that, while i was about to react, the lights suddenly went green and he pulled to the right and drove off. I couldnt get his vehicle number even..

Friend,

Take it from an elder and an experienced person with accidents which have left cars scrapped.

You were blessed that only a scratch happened, move on with life. Count your blessings, its a great life isnt it ?

Check out the Yeti's blog double bill on double wheels where he goes to Pune on a bike and the bike gets totalled.

Life is good for you and me.

Mantra morte vigna hara, durita nashan kripa kara.

Drive safe.

cheers

M M
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:08   #11
BHPian

Are they so powerfull there?? In that case the only thing you can do is so stop at the next roadside shop and gulp some cola to cool you down. Sad and an eyeopening incident.
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:29   #12
BHPian

What has happened with you is really bad. At times its better to forget such incidents and move ahead in life. Most cab drivers in b'lore behave totally insane and have no clue about the traffic rules. These guys are uneducated, illiterate and get there driving licenses by bribing some RTO.

The best thing to do in such situation is to move out of there way when you find these guys restlessly honking behind you.

PS : Are you very new to B'lore that you were unable to understand the language that he was speaking ??
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Are they so powerfull there?? In that case the only thing you can do is so stop at the next roadside shop and gulp some cola to cool you down. Sad and an eyeopening incident.
Yes. They are very arrogant. Some time I miss the WB public support. I know how this people are getting handle in WB by common man.
Old 25th November 2008, 07:48   #14
BANNED

IF you knew kannada, you should have cursed him like hell was inviting him which will make them pause and take stock.

It works, really, but only if its clear that you were innocent.
Old 25th November 2008, 08:22   #15
BHPian

This is sad, but happens quite often with many of us. The only solution I see is to learn the local language and there by giving them back some of their own medicine.

Due to the unprecedented boom of ITES industry and the dramatic increase in these cabbies with very little or no proper checking by the police on these cab drives, we have ended up with a bunch of rustic maniacs on streets.

This can be solved, if we can ensure that whenever such incidents happen, we should start holding the cab companies or the organizations for which they run the cabs accountable. Someone somewhere has to take the bottom line responsibility of getting so many idiots on to these roads with no road sense.

Most Viewed