Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 20:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I went through the "No Smoking Law" leaflet and did not see 'roads' coming under the definition of public place. Initially I was under the impression that it does, since it is a space used by the public and also Wikipedia says so. But after going through the 'law' in detail, it does not seem applicable to roads. Ofcourse bus-stops on the roadside come under the purview of the law.
True. It is perfectly legal to smoke on the road.
Old 30th October 2008, 02:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I was very lucky, or lucky that we didn't leave an hour or so later.

We had been to Shennoy Nagar. When the rain was obviously very heavy, I wanted to leave ASAP, although my wife would have waited for it to stop. It was not driving in the rain that worried me, so much as the result of the rain. We left at about 4.30pm, destination Palavakkam.

The road where we were visiting was flooded, but the people living there were well used to this, and assured us that it was fine to drive through, on the next street we would be out of the water. We were also assured that the Nelson Manikam Road underpass would not fill up.

Poonamalee High Road was pretty clear, and we reached Nelson Manikam Rd in a few minutes, and that seemed clear too --- until we reached the traffic jam. Maybe It wasn't so bad, maybe it would have moved, but I was still worried about that underpass, and just had the feeling that it was not going to move.

U-turn, back to Poonamalee HR, and we made mostly good progress until we reached the 100-ft Rd crossroads, where traffic heading South was solid. We made some headway driving on the rubble at the side of the road for a few hundred yards before edging into the now-moving traffic again.

The traffic was patchy, pretty much all the way, with obstructions caused by flooded sections and breakdowns, but between them, it was clear. At one crossroads (don't know which one, might have been Arcot rd, might not) the water was not deep, but it was flowing across our road, from right to left, so fast that it looked scary!

I wanted to avoid any route through T Nagar. Another underpass that I don't know how to route around, and an area that I have heard nothing but bad reports about the traffic even in good weather recently (I haven't driven through it since the flyover), plus reports of serious flooding there the last time it rained.

Headed for Kathipara. On reaching the beginning of the new flyover was one of the scariest bits: a sheet of water, goodness knows how deep, and what worried me was a lorry hanging back and looking reluctant! Watched a few vehicles, and the tracks they took, and knew that it was perfectly passable. As long as I didn't catch any big potholes they'd missed of course. Did I mention I can't swim? Neither can my wife!

The next day I heard stories of waist-deep water, and people getting stuck for hours at Kathipara: we made it easily onto Anna Salai, but there our seriously slow part of the journey began. We soon began to see the Human chain, which I vaguely remembered reading about but had forgotten. Luckily it was on the other side of the road, so at least our side was not narrowed, but we spent a lot of time sitting with the engine turned off. We were [un]lucky (politically neutral; read according to your point of view) to see the CM's car, armed guard and all, just a few feet from us, passing on his tour of inspection.

It seemed to take ages to reach Little Mount, but once there, we sailed along until we met the next jam at Sardar Patel Rd. Despite my wife's prediction, the Traffic to Madyar Kailash was not so heavy, once we managed to make the left turn, and kept moving.

Our maid lives by the canal side, and I got my wife to phone ahead to check that the small canal bridge had not been inundated. I did not want to take on the ECR; would have followed small lanes if we hadn't been able to cross at the usual place. However, reaching it to find it uncrossable would have put us in a mess, probably having to go all the way to Sholinganallur. It was fine (although our maid's house --- a solid house, not a hut --- had water oosing through the floor) and the OMR and back lines got us home promptly.

Total journey time a little over two hours. I hate to think what it might have been if we'd left an hour or two later.

Oh! I guess that's sort-of my first Team-BHP "travelog".

Forgive the ramble, and forgive the mis-spelt place and road names. It's sloppy not to check them, I know, but it's 2.45am!
Old 30th October 2008, 10:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

I was lucky, I left office (Royapettah) at around 5.00 PM and reached Padi at 6.15 PM about 15 / 20 minutes later than my usual time taken. I had decided not to go via Spencers which is my usual route instead went upto the flyover, take a U turn under the flyover, a left next to Khivraj took me upto Haddows Road, where I got stuck until Sterling Rd Jn. Spent about 1/2 hour at Sterling road, and was a breeze once I cross the Jn. The best part was crossing Lucas Jn. in less than 2 minutes. The usual time taken in the evening is about 10/15 minutes.
Old 30th October 2008, 12:01   #19
BHPian

I probably was the luckiest to escape this chaos. May be my work timings saved me and is still saving me from the traffic chaos in the city. I work from 14:00-22:00

I started from work(Perungudi) at 22:20 and reached my home at mogappair around 23:05. I had another colleague who took the Beach road to reach Ayanavaram fearing a traffic jam on the mount road and was stuck infront of Malar hospital until 23:10. I advised him to take the Greenways road to reach Mount road and take his usual route of Nungambakkam-Chetpet-Kellys-Ayanavaram. This saved him lots of trouble.

I had another friend who left from Sholinganallur in his bike at 17:30 and reached his home at Kotturpuram at 19:30, thanks to the traffic jam at tidel where most vehicles came to a standstill for 30mins.

Many had trouble in reaching Central station on bus owing to the traffic jam on the Beach road. If not for the MRTS most people would have missed their train.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:06   #20
BHPian

One of my Worst Experience

Friends,

I work in Olympia Tech Park, Near Kathipara, Guindy & I stay at Velachery ( Approx 9 Kms ) That friday I had one of my worst traffic experiences.

Last Day before the Diwali Holidays having good day at office. Then suddenly its starts raining at around 3.00 PM. Its rains Cats & Dogs for atleast an hour. I just peep out through the window glasses & horified to see the road flooded. Should be ateast Knee Deep. Next I get a mail from Admin Dept to park the Car on Upper Basement since the Lower Basement parking lot it is flooding fast.

Enough of the day & I decide to leave the office at 5.30 PM. Took near half hour to come out & take a U - turn towards Kathipara. Lot of Cars & bikes stalled in atleast 2 Feet Water.

Then Traffic is halted for atleast another 30 min for our Beloved CM to Flag-off the Human Chain. Then Crawl through traffic to normal route via Adambakkam Subway. Suprised the Sub- way is Flooded. Try the Nest Subway at naganallur. Some Good Samaritan Block the road & Advises people that even that Subway is Flooded. A Tempo Traveller not heading his advice tries the Sub way. I keep watching from a distance & only to see him taking a U- Turn & coming back( Imaging the Depth of Water).

Then I think take the alternate route to Home ( via Kathipara) but traffic is still at Halt. Not even Bumper to Bumper Movement. I jus check my fuel & jus gonna go dry if I try to go through this traffic.

Split decond decision, I take a U- Turn & fill up my tank opp the Airport, Near Raddison Hotel. Good Decision in End.

Crawl though traffic & take Chrompet, Chithalapakkam, Medavakam, Velachery & reach home Safely by 9.30PM. Legs ache so badly that I did'nt experience during my last highway trip( 350 Odd Km)

Instead of 30 Min Drive for 8 KM. I had to Drive 30 Odd KM for 4 Hours.

Regards
Marlon
Old 30th October 2008, 16:53   #21
BHPian

My plight on the said day was that, my friend was taking delivery of his new Scorpio from India Garage in Anna Salai. I reached the showroom by 07:30 somehow managing the traffic from my office in T-nagar.

Then followed my most through check of the vehicle, this much check I did not do even for my own vehicle when I bought it(I had plenty of time to kill). I could see the traffic stuck from the showroom and I was no way going to venture into it in a new vehicle.

Finally, left the showroom by 10:00 and reached home by 12:00. Definitely a unique experience.
Must appreciate the showroom staff for putting up with us, but even they had nowhere to go in that jam.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Marlon...
Good decision to fill up! I was glad I had plenty of fuel, even if the car in front had only moved a few feet the people behind were Beep Beep Beeeeeeeeep to fill the gap up! There was one guy who's horn I would have loved to operate with his nose; good thing I have no muscle

Your post makes me relieved again to have got through Kathipara when I did --- also that I avoided the CM going back along Anna Salai, which I assume he did.

Wish I knew those Southern roads (obviously your home ground): I'd love to be able to get from the Airport Road, (eg through Nanganallur?) across to Perungudi without following the main route through Guindy.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:04   #23
BHPian

I forgot to add this. I work in RMZ Perungudi and our lower and upper basement was flooded. I had to take my car out from the water and park in the first floor. Luckily many had gone on diwali vacation , else i wouldn't have had space to park.

Last friday traffic problems in chennai demands a seperate thread as most of the chennai bhpians seem to have been affected by this.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wish I knew those Southern roads (obviously your home ground): I'd love to be able to get from the Airport Road, (eg through Nanganallur?) across to Perungudi without following the main route through Guindy.
There are couple of routes from Airport Road to Perungudi which would be easier than Guindy-Adyar Route...These routes are traffic free but need to travel through Small Roads is the only problem. I prefer this route than the traditional Guindy/Rajbhavan Road
  • If your coming from Airport take the Right Turn after Raddison Hotel & keep going Straight.. The first Right takes you to Nanganallur Subway...While the Second takes you to Adambakkam Subway. Take the Adambakkam Subway go straight. The streets are narrow so have to face some challenge. Then take left & right to reach Adambakkam Police Station After which you can take a left & right to join the Velachery 100 Ft Bypass Road. This joins near the velachery Lake. Take this Route & Join VijayNagar Junction. ( Traffic is heavy at this junction between 6-8PM Daily). From Here you can take left & proceed through Taramani Road to Join OMR.
  • Another Simpler Route for you to Cross the Palavaram Railway Gate & join the Newly Constructed By- Pass Road which takes you directly to Perungudi. This road bisects the Velachery main Road. The road after the Railway Gate to the Bypass Road is not Good. Work is going on here may be in next few months they would finish the work & you can see all the vehicles to OMR travel through this Road. ByPass Road is pretty good( No Street Lights Though).
Regards
marlon
Old 31st October 2008, 11:43   #25
BHPian

Guys, the real recipe for a traffic jam is when the stupid followers of a politico decide to celebrate his birthday in the public domain.

Just a couple of weeks back, I got stuck in a bad jam when going to office. Turns out a ' Honourable?' Neta had turned a year older, but none the wiser.

Naturally, his followers (who obviously have nothing better, or worse, to do with their pithy lives) had to make a show of strength, love?! and support. And they were so graceful to afford the regular officegoer, however uninterested he might be, a dekko of the wasteful celebration.

When returning home in the evening I thought the circus would have ended long back . But no, it was just wrapping up. What followed could best be described as .

I heard they had parked ST buses on bridges that struggle to accomodate one lane each side on a regular day...
Old 31st October 2008, 12:03   #26
BHPian

In addition to what Marlon mentioned, you could go via Koot Road, Madipakkam and connect at Vijayanagar bus stand. Take the Adambakkam subway, join the Medavakkam main road, take a left at Koot road jn to Madiapakkam main road. This connects to Velachery-Tambaram road. It's a roundabout route, but sometimes easier. I wouldnt want to drive through the Adambakkam route, nor the Bypass road.
Now that kathipara is done, guindy should be a breeze. I only wish they finish the ring road from St.thomas mt to velachery(only 3kms!).

Coming back on-topic, add me to the list of 4hr crawling-in-the-car victims. My Swift had a dip too in flood waters, but held her breath well.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Marlon, thanks for those directions!

I'll print them out, and then start with the map book and Google Earth before graduating to some real exploring
Old 4th November 2008, 09:38   #28

It took 4 hrs 30 minutes for me to drive 23 kms from Gemini to Gowrivakkam on the day of Human chain. It was atrocious. I saw many cars, bikes break down while idling (I dont know why, probably fuel got exhausted while waiting..) It was a night mare for everyone.

Most Viewed