Team-BHP - Ragi to tackle wheelies
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Ragi to tackle wheelies (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/48608-ragi-tackle-wheelies.html)

Bangalore Mirror - Ragi to tackle wheelies, News - City,Bangalore Mirror=

Vroom...vroom.. a bike was speeding through a residential area. It was 2:30 pm on a day in October. Vinod and Anil (names changed) were doing the wheelie (riding on one wheel) through 9th main road of Jayanagar 5th Block. Suddenly, another bike crossed their path. Anil applied the brakes and Vinod, who was riding pillion, fell down and hurt himself severely. He was taken to a city hospital where he was in a coma for three days.
He was lucky to survive. What was the one thing he learnt from the whole episode? “Wheeling is dangerous. I will never do it ever again,” he said.
But such cases of change of heart are few and far between.
Riders doing the wheelie on their bikes has become an everyday problem for residents of Jayanagar, especially since the past one year. Jayanagar has colleges at every nook and corner and young guys speed on their bikes, putting not only their lives but others’ lives in danger too. “I am scared to send my children out because of this. It is a nuisance,” fumed
Lakshmikantha, a resident of Jayanagar 6th block. “These speed freaks do not have even have any timings. Sometimes it is the morning hours and sometimes it is in the evenings,” says Prasad Hande, who owns a marriage hall. “Morning or night, every time they speed through the residential localities, it scares the hell out of the residents.” Said Vijaya Shastri, a resident of Jayanagar 8th block, “I am terrified whenever they pass through my house. They come at such speeds and in large groups.”
Chethan Keshav Kumar, a college student who saw how his friend, Vinod, had met with an accident a couple of months ago, said, “The guys go through the residential localities and there are many old people living in the locality. There is an old man who lives very near to 9th main and he keeps cursing them whenever they wheelie through his house.”
The police are clueless. Vasanth Kumar, circle inspector of Jayanagar Traffic Police, explains, “It is impossible most of the times to keep track of these riders as they just zoom through the area and we cannot trace them without the registration number.” Kumar explains that a case was registered in his jurisdiction a couple of months ago. “A mechanic was doing a wheelie on somebody else’s bike, that too on a one-way street.
When one of our consatbles caught him, he misbehaved with him. After that, the bike was confiscated and he realised his mistake. He did not even know that it doing a wheelie was illegal. He had to pay a fine and then we let him go”, said Kumar, who added that this is a major problem in his area.
While the police are finding out permanent solutions, the harassed residents have come up with their own solutions. Said Lakshmikantha, “We have put ragi in front of our houses. It is very slippery then and these guys will at least think twice before speeding through the area.”
And Chetan said, “The old man who faced the problem has got a hump built in front of his house and it is helping him to some extent

My concern is how does it affect the vehicles in normal speeds ?

Any thoughts ?

What is Ragi?
Can anyone explain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 1043198)
Bangalore Mirror - Ragi to tackle wheelies, News - City,Bangalore Mirror=

[/b].”
And Chetan said, “The old man who faced the problem has got a hump built in front of his house and it is helping him to some extent

Any thoughts ?

We live on a road which is nead a college and a few tuition houses and face this menace almost everyday, not just bikes, but also cars zipping a breakneck speeds.

We build a couple of humps. Now, the instances have come down but not gone.
The humps now serve as a perfect launch for them to raise their rear wheels and then speed away :-(

Funny, that you try preventing them from raising the front wheels and then they start raising the rear wheels.

It has brought down their speeds to some extent.

ragi is a cereal, its like mustard

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAC (Post 1043218)
The humps now serve as a perfect launch for them to raise their rear wheels and then speed away :-(

Serves you right, for building a couple of private, illegal and probably unscientific/downright dangerous speed humps !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 1043249)
Serves you right, for building a couple of private, illegal and probably unscientific/downright dangerous speed humps !!

I think you are bit too harsh on this, you may try put yourself in his shoes and think how worried you'll be about your kid or your parent or any dear ones if there is a menace out there lurking around. What RAC mentioned is a residential area and you are NOT supposed to speed on those areas. But many of these maniac people on their bikes or cars don't even bother to think about it. Yes if it's a highway and someone is putting a unscientific illegal speedbreaker then I can understand your concern of that being dangerous but on a residential area? Come on, you are not supposed to speed off in the first place. So I think the person who tries to be a Rossi on those areas and come out with a broken limb due to the breakers, I'm gonna blame him only for his sorrow state. BTW, I'm not supporting the illegal bumps but sometime it's probably required to curb this kind of menace although our rational minds think against it.

Quote:

How about some alternative solution.

Speed humps actually help in a better take off. So for a good rider its a blessing. The steeper the speed breaker the more fun it is.

I think potholes do a better job in stopping wheelies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1043325)
How about some alternative solution.

Speed humps actually help in a better take off. So for a good rider its a blessing. The steeper the speed breaker the more fun it is.

I think potholes do a better job in stopping wheelies.

Hey bblost please dont give such ideas to the KA govt. Tomorrow there will be a huge write up proclaiming the usefullness of broken roads in curbing wheelies and another tax to break whatever can be called a road in Bangalore lol:

I studied in varanasi ( BHU), no one could ever overspeed or do a wheelie in the city, you know the reason? Stray cows and buffaloes roaming around the city. lol:

They sit wherever they want to and start moving on their own wish :Frustrati so you got to be beware every time you see them near

Quote:

ooohhh...that's harsh.
Now what is illegal about a couple speed breakers (low height you would have seen) with approvals from the police, corporation, local mla, and then tarred by the bmp\corporation, etc.

sir, we decided to do something to tackle this menace and avoid our children getting run over. It was even difficult for the elderly to walk on the road. A couple of residents got bumped and almost run over. There was an incident where a guy in a scorpio deliberately bumped a child walking hand-in-hand with her mother, reason-she was walking "supposedly" in the middle of the road.

And god forbid if your are anywhere near the corner of the road with one of those incoming 90 degree turns. I have shivers thinking what would happen if my child was there.
Please beleive me when I say that people started ripping their cars on this narrow residential road because it was possible for them to do so.

And sir, NOT ME, but US. That means a big no. of residents, on a road which has dead end on both sides and is connected to the main road by a cross road.

Anyway, nothing better than "a couple of unscientific/downright dangerous speed humps" to make the road a lot safer for the residents.

We know the trouble we had putting in those couple of humps. Have you tried asking the friendly neighbourhood Corporation to come an build legal, scientific and absolutely safe humps in your residential locality. Come on man, I am sure most of the members on another thread would say that most humps on a normal road/highways are not scientific and safe. I can show you 5 examples within 3 kms from my office. And there are 2 humps within 10 feet of each other.

Peace.

Isn't it illegal to put hazardous materials on public roads? If some bikers get hurt, or killed won't it be tantamount to culpable homicide not amounting to murder?

Two wrongs don't always make a right!

Building a hump is not the solution. Dig a trench 1 foot deep. You'll see fantastic results.

And I don't agree with spadival. Doing wheelies and racing in residential colonies is downright illegal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAC (Post 1043218)
We live on a road which is nead a college and a few tuition houses and face this menace almost everyday, not just bikes, but also cars zipping a breakneck speeds.

Funny, that you try preventing them from raising the front wheels and then they start raising the rear wheels.

It has brought down their speeds to some extent.

They should not race or do dangerous stunts inside residential colonies in the first place. They do it because they know that the police prescence there is minimal. If they try to do so on main roads, then they will be caught and penalised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by watashi75 (Post 1043365)
Isn't it illegal to put hazardous materials on public roads? If some bikers get hurt, or killed won't it be tantamount to culpable homicide not amounting to murder?

Two wrongs don't always make a right!

here we go again! i have seen this in kerala its notorious! people walk in the middle of the road and bikers dont move at all to the side when we honk from behind! i scare the living daylights out of them :D

regarding the slowing down of the rash riders its always a good idea to have a juntion of some sort where there is a small shop and hence always a crowd will be there hence making it impossible to speed :D

this helps a lot in kerala due to the dense population here.
hehe.

seriously it works much better than humps and all..

How about cow catcher kind of things.
KA polices are uttermost stupid. They are just busy in making money. Too much of flow in the system. If you have money you can drive a car as u like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAC (Post 1043364)
ooohhh...that's harsh.
Now what is illegal about a couple speed breakers (low height you would have seen) with approvals from the police, corporation, local mla, and then tarred by the bmp\corporation, etc.

Sir, In that case, I humbly take back what I said earlier. When you said "We built a couple of humps", I was under the impression that the residents took matters in their own hands and built something that doesn't serve any purpose, even its intended purpose, as you pointed out and creates an even more dangerous situation for road users and pedestrians.

What you probably need in your area is "rumbler strip". Instead of one medium sized hump, a series of 4-5 small humps in quick succession should do the job of slowing down the Road Rossi's and prevent them from using the hump as a ramp for their wheelies.