Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 12:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

7 fools in a WagonR

This is disaster just waiting to strike. Look closely at the picture : You will see TWO heads in the TRUNK of the WagonR; an adult and a young girl. Thats a total of 7 in this li'l WagonR!! Imagine the situation if this WagonR is accidentally rear-ended by my Jeep or a crash-guard equipped Sumo! And at a speed of 50 kph.

Fat chance of survival for those two in the hatch. Who would be to blame? The two idiots crouched in the back? Or the other 5 in the car for letting this happen? Me? Or an absolute lack of awareness?

Crazy people out there, I tell ya.
Attached Thumbnails
7 fools in a WagonR-moto_0278.jpg  

7 fools in a WagonR-moto_0277.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2008 at 12:08.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

disaster waiting to happen - i have seen people put their kids in the boot of ALTOs ! so clearly not many think accidents can happen from behind
Old 8th November 2008, 12:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

have seen such packed up vehicles although rarely.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fat chance of survival for those two in the hatch. Who would be to blame? The two idiots crouched in the back? Or the other 5 in the car for letting this happen? Me? Or an absolute lack of awareness?

Crazy people out there, I tell ya.

hahahahahaha!! GTO I have seen a lot worse, 10-15 kids stuffed into a omni van. People think its great and fun to travel like this.

And You would mostly get the blame if you accidentally rear-ended them
Old 8th November 2008, 13:38   #5
BHPian

We live in a country where a family of 5 depend on a motor cycle for commuting needs so it's not uncommon to see 7 people in a car.

Btw, were you able to actually spot 7 people? chances are that there were only 4 and 2 happen to travel in the boot for whatever reasons, for privacy maybe
Old 8th November 2008, 13:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen poor school children cramped in autorikshaws in Nasik with their school bags hanging outside the vehicle on rear view mirror stalks.

I remember that Govinda song - "IT HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th November 2008, 13:52   #7
BHPian

Privacy!! Riding in the boot aside, i've seen people who have their small kids (~7yrs) sit in the front beside the driver while the parents sit at the back! In fact i know 2 of these families, I don't want to but do.
Old 8th November 2008, 13:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

At least the hatch is shut.

Have seen idiots driving with the hatch open and a boot full of children.
Old 8th November 2008, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

And haven't we all seen a child/baby on the lap of the driver? In cars not equipped with airbags, this seems a good enough 'substitute'!
The kid will take it all!!
Old 8th November 2008, 14:27   #10
BHPian

Yes, very dangerous..

Here in Pune I regularly see 3 or even 4 people on bikes! Then there are the trucks or vans filled with people being pushed around on the bumpy stretches. Not many people care about safety (people look at me weird if I wear the seatbelt in their car :P ) and people try to economize on everything. Its sad but cant he helped when there is complete apathy towards safety!
Old 8th November 2008, 14:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
At least the hatch is shut.
Have seen idiots driving with the hatch open and a boot full of children.
Yes thats the pitts. I have seen many a car with their rear hatch open with kids sitting facing you with their legs hanging out if the car. I shudder at the thought of some car following them, tailgating them or even slightly tapping the rear end. The knees and bones would surely get smashed even if it were a 2-3 kmph hit. Why the cops dont get strict about this thing i wonder.

Another idiotic act is a kid popping out from the sunroof of a speeding car. Imagine what would happen to the kid if the car had to brake in an emergency. Sheesh!!
Old 8th November 2008, 14:49   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another idiotic act is a kid popping out from the sunroof of a speeding car. Imagine what would happen to the kid if the car had to brake in an emergency. Sheesh!!
Although the car wasnt speeding.
Attached Thumbnails
7 fools in a WagonR-merc.jpg  

Old 8th November 2008, 15:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

spoilt brat enjoying fresh air.

is the "diesel" sticker on the boot stock? - i mean i have never seen a 220 with a diesel sticker but with a cdi sticker.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:37   #14
BHPian

Good Lord!! I almost fell off my chair laughing at the title and the picture and once I stabilized myself thought of the safety issues. Yes, they have little or no chance of a survival in case of bad accident. Imagine the plight of the car pulling those 7 fools though. I can hear it screaming out for relief and mercy.
Old 8th November 2008, 16:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Disaster ?
If you all are shocked after this, whenever you visit Vadodara, be ready for heart attack.

Some of my observations.

1) Maruti Omni : The car has great load carrying capacity. Atleast eight people on opposite facing bench and three in front seat.

2) Kids in trunk of Wagon R, Santro, Alto, etc is a normal sight.

3) The door of Omni school van's rear doors are open with kids literally stuffed in. Some of the " brave boys " have one leg hanging out of the car and one hand out of the car. Almost he is half outside.

4) If this is not all, during festive season, an Indigo can carry 10-11 people. I have seen this. We were first surprised that how many can come out of this car. We counted this and were shocked. Saw this in more than one sedan. Safari, well dont dare to ask.

These people literally dont know what will happen in case of even a minor crash. Forget the rear ending part. Imagine the car is doing 60-70 kmph and meets with a head on collosion. Then what will happen. Probably the rear seat's backrest will get dislodged when the two person's weight wil get onto it.

Some ways to prevent this :

1) The most basic is parcel shelf.
2) Not providing the rear quarter glass. This would give claustrophoic feeling more and people will rather avoid it. This will also reduce some grams of weight.
3) IIRC, the higher end cars have features i.e. sensors if a child is sitting in front seat then the airbags are disabled. Here we can have sensors that if an adult of kid is sitting in boot, the car wont start.
4) Design of C-pillar. The design should be like Peugeot 206 and not straight C-pillars in case of Wagon R. Till slightly above the seat, there will be space but after that the C-pillar should be raked so that the professors sitting done have enough headroom.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks