Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 17:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

my friends were actually flagged down more when they were riding their KL reg bikes than TN reg ones in chennai
Old 11th November 2008, 17:19   #17
BANNED

Srikanth sir, my current vehicles have TN 07 (Chennai - Thiruvanmiyur) registration. I had actually driven down that evening (with toll plaza receipts available if the police wanted to check).

All I'm saying is - if you have made a mistake, admit it and genuinely say sorry.

Last edited by hrag : 11th November 2008 at 17:21.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I remember paying only Rs.300/- for a red light violation (though I was sure I did not) on Mount Road a few months back.
Srikanth, the fine for red light violation is indeed Rs.1050. I know this as i had paid 200 to escape this in the Tidel signal at around 10PM. I was sure that the signal was amber and turned red only when the policeman decided to jump infront of my vehicle. I expected the delay between amber to red to be atleast 5 seconds but here it turned to red immediately without any delay.

Sorry for going OT. For SB's post, the police man was dishonest but most of them are corrupted to the extent that they never feel sorry and consider a minimum fixed amount from these exercises as part of their monthly income. OT again, last week my friend was part of a crowd to which a TTR in a salem bound train publicly admitted that he earns 30K through bribes every month.

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 11th November 2008 at 17:30.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

@SB: Clearly, the cop clearly was desperate.
1.Usually, cops don't stop a lady driven car.
2.Overtaking on the left.

The cop would never have the guts to say the 2nd point to a street-smart guy. He would be plain ridiculed for bringing that up on a one-way.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Srikanth sir, my current vehicles have TN 07 (Chennai - Thiruvanmiyur) registration. I had actually driven down that evening (with toll plaza receipts available if the police wanted to check).

All I'm saying is - if you have made a mistake, admit it and genuinely say sorry.
@hrag, I was just joking, you are right, admitting mistakes would certainly help. Infact one of the ways I found out not getting caught with a TN07 bike in Bangalore ('98 - '02) was not to jump signals, because the chance of you being flagged down was the highest when you were jumping signals. History repeats itself, now I drive a KA registered car in Chennai.

@Manu Am now wondering which offence did I pay the fine for because I was flagged for a Signal jump offence, ended up paying 300 bucks got a challan and receipt. Just pulled out the challan from my Workplace, could not read head or tail of what has been written in it. Only the Sergeant and the court magistrate would know which fine did I pay.

Incidentally as I am aware only a Sergeant and above can charge sheet a traffic offense, in which case most of the times the traffic constables are not empowered to charge you even though they take advantage and pocket a cool token of bribe

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 11th November 2008 at 17:35.
Old 12th November 2008, 00:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

sb considering that at that part the road was probably a 2 lane road , median in the middle splitting the traffic on both sides, its a real joke. looks like hes just taken advantage of your friend
Old 12th November 2008, 14:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well overtaking from left in India as it is called is undertaking. It is surely illegal.
Here how can one prove that your friend was undertaking. She was at her own pace and it was the other car driver who slowed down and he is at fault if at all he slowed down in right lane so much that the movement of car in left lane was considered undertaking. This point must have been made to the cop by your friend.

Daily I encounter many cars and all of irrespective of the speed they are doing, wont let me overtake them, so daily I undertake them. Till now no cop has asked for fine.
Some car drivers who find the other car to be slow and not giving space undertake as well, but no fine, etc.
Old 16th November 2008, 11:52   #23
BANNED

Came back to Chennai again yesterday to find a notice from the police asking me to pay a fine of 1050. All vehicle & incident details correct. Going to pay tomorrow at the nearest police station.

One way I look at it, this is good because offenders do get tracked (gives me some faith in the system). The other way, the police might as well have insisted I pay the fine on the spot. Maybe the guy who let me go was taken to task by his superior. Maybe the system actually works.
Old 17th November 2008, 13:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
my friends were actually flagged down more when they were riding their KL reg bikes than TN reg ones in chennai
This happens to be the favourite sport of cops in Chennai - catching bikes with non-TN registration. I have lost count of the Rs.5/Rs.10/Rs.20 that I paid these guys during the 1-2 years that I used our KL-scooter in Chennai.

Initially I found this funny/odd because I was using our cars/bike with Assam/Gujarat/TN registration all over Kerala and no one ever stopped me even once. Then I learnt how to avoid these guys, till we finally sold off the scooter.
Old 17th November 2008, 14:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Time to get a few policemen and traffic constables on the forum
To find the elusive answers to such questions

Last edited by pjbiju : 17th November 2008 at 14:18.
Old 17th November 2008, 14:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
OT:
Time to get a few policemen and traffic constables on the forum
To find the elusive answers to such questions
The other day, i was wondering if there is a single cop on the forum.

Even if there is one, i doubt he will come forward on the forum.

Most Viewed