As far Google map is concern , its alright , there is road but after
last year ride I wont suggest any member to take this road,
Virtually there is no road , it's offroading throughout the strech
like lunar surface after 5 kms from digha till you reach Lakhsmannath,
where you reach NH 5 and take left turn towards Jaleswar ,
and where is the check post , check post is not on the right
turn towards Kharagpur .

Personally I never paid this tax during numerous tours through this
check post , may be I was lucky always .

Cheers

Last edited by Captdey : 5th March 2010 at 23:01.
Old 5th March 2010, 23:40   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
Personally I never paid this tax during numerous tours through this
check post , may be I was lucky always .
Hmmm.. Hope the cops are reading your post
Old 6th January 2011, 16:14   #33
BHPian

Re: Orissa and Antinational Taxes

i did a trip to kolkata end nov/dec 2010 and this is way i bypassed this checkpost on my return on 2 dec 2010

get off the highway on the right side (wb to orissa trip) about 2 km before the checkpost (truck jam and bridge is a good indication of the checkpost)

proceed about 7 km almost parellel to highway on the village kucha road
(you will pass the jaleshwar satsang on your left)

turn left at the first three way roundabout you encounter (or ask for sbi atm jaleshwar branch)

proceed about 3 km and you will pass the sbi on your left side and find the nh60 passing overhead, turn right and join the highway. the checkpost is about 2 kms behind you when you get on the road

i did that to avoid the jam and save time (total dist going off and back on the nh60 is about 10kms)

Orissa and Antinational Taxes-dsc03812.jpg

in the picture below if you look carefully the truck jam is visible

Orissa and Antinational Taxes-dsc03813.jpg

Orissa and Antinational Taxes-dsc03814.jpg

Orissa and Antinational Taxes-dsc03815.jpg

Orissa and Antinational Taxes-dsc03816.jpg

Name:  DSC03817.JPG
Views: 1626
Size:  150.2 KB

oops - the pictures have somehow gotten into the reverse order that one will encounter the actuals in (last will be first when proceeding from wb to orissa)

Last edited by booboo : 6th January 2011 at 16:24.
Old 1st April 2012, 14:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

On 25th of March, I paid this antinational tax at Jamsola Border check post of OR-JH border. Transport official stopped my car and asked me to pay Rs. 1050 as entry tax to Odisha. I argued for 30 minutes and when I felt it going nowhere then I took out money and paid as I was traveling with my family.

It was hot summer and my car was parked on road with AC switched on. These are daylight robbery Odisha government is conduction on highway border check posts. See the attached receipt that I got after payment. They clearly told me to file a case in court if you feel this is illegal.

Orissa and Antinational Taxes-tax-receipt-orrisa2.jpg
Old 9th July 2012, 01:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
On 25th of March, I paid this antinational tax at Jamsola Border check post of OR-JH border. Transport official stopped my car and asked me to pay Rs. 1050 as entry tax to Odisha. I argued for 30 minutes and when I felt it going nowhere then I took out money and paid as I was traveling with my family.

It was hot summer and my car was parked on road with AC switched on. These are daylight robbery Odisha government is conduction on highway border check posts. See the attached receipt that I got after payment. They clearly told me to file a case in court if you feel this is illegal.

Attachment 910133
It says you paid voluntarily. I do not think it will stand up in any court of law.
And that is exactly why he told you to file a case.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:09   #36
BHPian

My God! This extortion has started again! Any idea what's happening at the NH-60 / NH-5 border while entering OR from WB ?
Old 9th July 2012, 14:50   #37
BHPian

I think this is high time we should do something about this. Can we contact any Odhisa government official and bring this to their notice. Even I was stopped at the Jaleshwar border back in 2011 and they were charging me Rs. 700 for Ritz. Though I was lucky to escape with the help of argument. But they also said me the same line "If you think this is illegal, please go to the nearest police station and report / file a case.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Orissa officialdom is very stubborn and rude. probably worst in India. But the receipt appears genuine. The money goes to treasury because greedy state Govts. allot quota to ground level police and RTO officers to extort money to fill coffers. It happens in every state in India. They look for flimsy excuses to fine you. Higher officer pretend not to know. The one who raises hell will be exempted. Now how many do that? Most pay quietly and drive off.

Every Govt. department collects taxes/penalties etc. on higher side, to be safe from any departmental action. While computing tax liability, whether Income Tax or Customs or Excise or Service Tax or VAT or Sales tax, officals always take higher tariff headings and higher rates of interests into account and collect more than what they should have. Nothing would happen to them. but if they collect even 1 ruppe less, the officer will get memo and suspension. All this excess money ends up in Govt coffers. But Govt treasury is one black hole which can never be filled. No matter how much money you put into it, Govt always cries at the end of the year that treasury is empty. You put in the entrie world's money but within months, it will again be empty. We all know where it goes.
Old 6th February 2017, 13:36   #39
BHPian

Since the last update on this thread was a while back, I need to raise this topic again.
I am planning a trip to Kolkata (via BBSR) from Hyderabad in early-mid March. Can anybody who has done this route recently confirm if this seemingly unfair practice is still on?
Since I'll be crossing the Orissa border 4 times (2 times going up and 2 times coming back) do I have to pay this amount 4 times in all?
Old 6th February 2017, 13:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Since the last update on this thread was a while back, I need to raise this topic again.
I am planning a trip to Kolkata (via BBSR) from Hyderabad in early-mid March. Can anybody who has done this route recently confirm if this seemingly unfair practice is still on?
Since I'll be crossing the Orissa border 4 times (2 times going up and 2 times coming back) do I have to pay this amount 4 times in all?
Even in Goa, they charge Rs.300 or thereabouts as entry tax, atleast from KA registered vehicles. And this is valid for only 3 days or so. So I guess this practice is not limited to only Orissa.

The receipt posted above shows validity as 6 months, so I guess you would have to pay only once.

Regards,
Ajay
Old 6th February 2017, 14:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Atleast at the AP-Orissa border checkpost, there is no such tax being collected. I have done this stretch recently.

The tax was earlier collected at the WB-Orissa border must have been scrapped now.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 14:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Even in Goa, they charge Rs.300 or thereabouts as entry tax, atleast from KA registered vehicles. And this is valid for only 3 days or so. So I guess this practice is not limited to only Orissa.

The receipt posted above shows validity as 6 months, so I guess you would have to pay only once.

Regards,
Ajay
The Entry tax is Goa is somewhat justified as the petrol prices in Goa is one of the lowest in the country. This entry tax is used to fund this reduced prices of Petrol.
I don't see any similar reason for Orissa's tax.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 14:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Ajay
I went to Palolem,Goa from Karwar few days back; the entry tax is Rs. 250 . However, I enjoyed the sunset at Palolem beach and came back within 3.5 hours. I recalled the rule that you'll be reimbursed the entry tax in full if you return within 4 hours; So happily demanded and got back the money. The toll operator did not seem happy though.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 14:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Ajay
Hi Ajay, thanks for the information.
My question is since I will be crossing over to WB and then returning again, will the previous receipt still be valid.

The analogy for your example would be somebody travelling from KA to MH via Goa. If I enter Goa from KA side on say 06th Feb, get a 3 day permit (which, by definition, should be valid till 8th Feb) and continue to travel to MH. If I attempt to enter GOA from MH side on 8th Feb and show the same receipt would it still be considered valid, since I have left the state for which I had received an entry permit.
I guess it's a hypothetical scenario at least from Goa's point of view (merely passing through GOA ), but in the badlands of Odisha borders I have to be really sure before starting an argument (trust me they aren't getting a single undeserved rupee from me without an argument).
Old 6th February 2017, 14:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

The tax in Goa is valid for 7 days, and not 3 days as mentioned, secondly it is valid for multiple entry and exits. There is a exemption for cars with RTO registration MH-07, Few cars with MH-09 (with registered adress in Gadinglaj Taluka of Kolhapur), KA-22 and KA-30. For others the 4 Hrs limit is valid. This is also quiet justified, as a drive through Goa from Banda checkpost to Karwar checkpost takes about 3Hr 30 min at moderate speed.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks