Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

well Zaks, you just ended up having a bad day and brushed the wrong guy. yesterday one wagon-R decided to use my rear bumper as a stopping mechanism and he popped out a reverse-sensor. i got down, popped it in, asked him if was a 'L' - and advised him to stick a L coz he drove like one, shook hands and drove away. This was in broad-daylight at 9AM!!
Old 21st November 2008, 17:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Why do you say that?

But my question was what would be the gain/reduction in insurance premiums if I don't claim? for ex: If I am paying 10,000 per year then would it be if I started claiming the insurance?

Yeah, he was a little threatening and also I was not clear about the rules.
No Claim bonus can be upto 20%, which is a big amount YoY.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:46   #18
BHPian

I have the luck of the devil, have never collected a dime, except for one time a govt vehicle sideswiped my car where I was legally parked, took off half my bumper and one headlight - registered a complaint with the police and sent the department a legal notice. The department head in turn called the driver (who had not reported the incident) and sent him to my place to settle the matter out-of-court. I finally settled it for about 80 per cent of my costs.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:55   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
In case of FIR are the vehicles in question impounded?
Not unless there has been a serious injury, death or loss to public property.
Old 21st November 2008, 20:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh, is it! My understanding was (or rather, my assumption) that vehicles when involved in an accident and, if reported to the police, will require it to be kept in the station for some time.

This was one reason why when I met an accident recently ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...te-tn-bus.html ) I did not take the option of taking them to the police!
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Is it true? The following incident happened to one of my friends: He was standing outside his building in BLR. A Santro side swiped his properly parked swift. He quickly noted down the number and went to the nearest police station. They told him that if the car number was given to them in the FIR, they would have to impound his car too to inestigate the matter. They told him that the best thing would be to just put in the FIR that he couldnt see the car number ( which I amsure would make the life of cops easy).
My friend did as they told him as he didnt want his car to suffer more at the police station as we hear a lot of parts/etc being stolen when cars are parked there. He came back with his notion confirmed that never go to the cops.
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:19   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

f1fan, as you know, in the end, it depends on the police officer. However, I have never seen a car impounded for a small - medium - large accident with another car. ONLY if there has been a major injury, death or damage to public property will the car be confiscated (in addition to drunk driving, drugs, guns etc. )
Old 24th November 2008, 10:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
A Santro side swiped his properly parked swift. He quickly noted down the number and went to the nearest police station. They told him that if the car number was given to them in the FIR, they would have to impound his car too to inestigate the matter. They told him that the best thing would be to just put in the FIR that he couldnt see the car number ( which I amsure would make the life of cops easy).
The real reason for this is that it makes it easier for the cops as there is one less case to investigate.
If you give them the number, they will have to find the owner, summon him, register the case, and so on. Extra work which only adds to the statistics they must report every month!
So you will find the police will do their damndest to persuade you not to increase their caseload!
Old 24th November 2008, 10:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
f1fan, as you know, in the end, it depends on the police officer. However, I have never seen a car impounded for a small - medium - large accident with another car. ONLY if there has been a major injury, death or damage to public property will the car be confiscated (in addition to drunk driving, drugs, guns etc. )
I met with a major accident while coming to Bangalore, i had to leave the car at police station for RTO inspection on the damage of the car (as this would be required to file in court along with FIR), the RTO came very next day and after the inspection and the report, police asked me to take the vehicle home immediately.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:28   #25
BHPian

In case you have an accident and decide to pay some money to the other person to settle it instead of filing a complaint, you should get it in writing that both your cars (mention regn numbers also) had an accident and that the other guy accepts whatever amount you have given as full and final settlement of the issue.

I have heard of cases where people collect money first, then they go meet their relatives and lawyer (who convince them they will be able to get more if they go to court), then they would file a complaint in court claiming that it was a hit and run. And you wouldnt have any proof that you paid him money as compensation.

That would be like paying for trouble
Old 24th November 2008, 14:36   #26
BHPian

People in Delhi are becoming reckless day by day. I saw a small accident involving a Maruti omni van and a verna morning 8 am 3 days ago. The omni hit the verna from behind. Frankly speaking the front side of omni was completely bent inside and verna got a swollen bumper. So instead of looking at the kids in the van or the damage. Ther verna guy was up his sleeve to beat the van driver! Just that he couldnt do that because of so much public around.
Old 24th November 2008, 20:16   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by topedgemonk View Post
In case you have an accident and decide to pay some money to the other person to settle it instead of filing a complaint, you should get it in writing that both your cars (mention regn numbers also) had an accident and that the other guy accepts whatever amount you have given as full and final settlement of the issue.

I have heard of cases where people collect money first, then they go meet their relatives and lawyer (who convince them they will be able to get more if they go to court), then they would file a complaint in court claiming that it was a hit and run. And you wouldnt have any proof that you paid him money as compensation.

That would be like paying for trouble
How does this go- Once the parties leave the site of the accident what is the proof that each claim one makes later is valid, I mean isn't it debatable what each is saying. What if I say in my case for example that it was he who hit my car
Old 25th November 2008, 15:12   #28
BHPian

Hi zaks,

One primary question, how did you know that the person was the owner of the CRV ?

Secondly do you have any record of the transaction ? According to the IPC its a crime to extort money. (no offence to any one meant).

Did he open the car and show you the registration papers & his identity papers ?

You need not give any money to anyone, my opinion (which is based out of Bombay and West Indian state's - Rajasthan Gujarat & Maharashtra ) experiences, a CRV owner will not haggle for Rs. 2000.00.

You should have refused to pay.

My 2 cents.

regards

M M
Old 25th November 2008, 15:56   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
a CRV owner will not haggle for Rs. 2000.00
Oh my friend you will surprised if you know more. Forget CRV owners. 2 weeks back a BMW 5 series comes out of Leela Palace, old airport road, blore dashes across the road to take the uturn in front of Manipal Hospital and brushes a santro while doing so. The owner gets out and starts demanding 5k for that from the santro owner. Dont know what happened later though.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh my friend you will surprised if you know more. Forget CRV owners. 2 weeks back a BMW 5 series comes out of Leela Palace, old airport road, blore dashes across the road to take the uturn in front of Manipal Hospital and brushes a santro while doing so. The owner gets out and starts demanding 5k for that from the santro owner. Dont know what happened later though.
I think the BMW owner would have thought its my mistake, now attack is the best form of defense

On a serious note, if there is serious damage apart from a brush or scratch then its advisable to exchange license numbers, insurance policy details and file for a claim rather than extorting money.

Yes, this can be a case of intimidation and intention to extort money.

Cheers.

M M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks