Team-BHP - Are we empowering the police with too much!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Are we empowering the police with too much! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/49402-we-empowering-police-too-much.html)

Guys,

I was caught by a cop today during a naka bandi while I was with my wife on the bike. The cops asked for my DL and other papers. Since all papers were in order, they could not find a way to harass me. Ultimately, I demanded that they had checked all documents and since I am in a hurry I should be allowed to go. I was visiting a hospital to see my ailing aunt.

The cops said I had jumped a signal:Shockked:

They demanded a bribe of 100 bucks to let me go. When I said that the fine itself is 100, they issued me a receipt. I was happy that I did not pay a bribe and got a proper reciept, though I never committed an offence in the first place.

Now see this All you traffic offenders, your luck's run out

I am scared that my details would be in the offender's list and I can be harrased in the future. What should be my line of defence here?

Technically, a person who chooses to bribe will go scot free and honest fine payers will bear the brunt.

MODS: PLease move this thread if this is in a wrong place.

Interesting article. And imo will increase more corruption and in no way is gonna help the law.

yeah, i feel the same too.

recently, i and my friend were driving around five gardens having a chat.
we decided to park the car and have a small walk. i was round 10.30pm.

while we were walking. a cop on a bike stops near us and asks us what we were doing.
on telling him that we were just chatting,

he asked age, address, even had a small laugh when he understood that i was a gujrati and my friend a bhaiya.
he asked us to get out of there.

Are we living under some curfew or something?
Am i breaking any law walking on the road with a girl?

this moral policing thing is also getting to me.

Although technically its a very good system but because of the rife corruption it will just turn out be a boon for the corrupt policeman.

Now all he needs to do is stop and tell an innocent person that we just txtd your no. and you are in the offenders list so come up with double the bribe or you'll be fined and also listed as a repeat offender!:eek:

we are not empowering the cops. the cops just decided to empower themselves. cops here in india are no different from he many semi criminal organizations that exist here and abroad

As usual, the good suffers here. And those who are bad wont suffer.
All we can say is that what will happen next. Its too much for anyone to handle now. The good voice has to be raised agianst corruption, or else it will just create a bigger hole in the boat that is already sinking.

Rather than do patchwork, work on the base level. This would be more benefitial to all, but we all know its tall talk. If we cannot fight, then we must tolerate it to live.

I feel the Mumbai Police is going overboard. I am in favor of implementing seatbelts and helmets. But I am not in favor of harassment of bikers or drivers for petty sums.

They are more interested in pouncing upon riders rather then standing at the signals and preventing the offences in the first place.

There have been instances of bikers being severly injured and one of them was infamously killed as well.

All I can say is that this is daylight robbery by keepers of the law.

This happened when the Palm Beach Road in Vashi was fairly new and not as busy as it is now.

Driving down from Pune, I stopped to take a leak. As I finished and sat in the car, a guy on a bike pulls up and knocks on the window. He says he is a cop and asks me to step outside. I do so and the routine questioning starts.

I ask him for id and that pisses him off. He shows me the id and asks what I am doing with a girl in the car. I explain the scenario and he is not ready to listen. He says there are a lot of rape cases happening around and he is being the cop.

I ask him why he doesn't park his bike and prevent the crime rather than preying on innocent people ? Before he could react - I thank him for the concern, sit in the car and leave :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdriver2000 (Post 1062751)
Technically, a person who chooses to bribe will go scot free and honest fine payers will bear the brunt.

Interesting & valid viewpoint, abdriver! It is unfortunate that an offenders database will only give rise to the bribing practice.

[quote=abdriver2000;1062751]Guys,

They demanded a bribe of 100 bucks to let me go. When I said that the fine itself is 100, they issued me a receipt. I was happy that I did not pay a bribe and got a proper reciept, though I never committed an offence in the first place.

Hi abdriver2000 ,

why did you agree to pay the fine when you didnt commit the offence ?, Would you have agreed if the cop falsely charged you to rash driving and asked you to pay for that too ? .
An incident like this happened to me quite a few years back near the andheri flyover and this cop waved me down for a routine check up. i parked my car a few metres ahead from where he was standing and didnt get out . I guess this irritated him a bit and he asked for my license and all my papers . since he couldnt extract anything from me since everything was in order he started threatning me that he will book me for rash driving . thats when i dared him to do it and also made it clear that i will fight it out and not take this lying down that he retracted and let me go.

I thought this to be a one off situation but now it looks as if it must be happening more frequently .

[quote=ksudye;1065270]
Quote:

Originally Posted by abdriver2000 (Post 1062751)
Guys,

Hi abdriver2000 ,

why did you agree to pay the fine when you didnt commit the offence ?, Would you have agreed if the cop falsely charged you to rash driving and asked you to pay for that too ? .
An incident like this happened to me quite a few years back near the andheri flyover and this cop waved me down for a routine check up. i parked my car a few metres ahead from where he was standing and didnt get out . I guess this irritated him a bit and he asked for my license and all my papers . since he couldnt extract anything from me since everything was in order he started threatning me that he will book me for rash driving . thats when i dared him to do it and also made it clear that i will fight it out and not take this lying down that he retracted and let me go.

I thought this to be a one off situation but now it looks as if it must be happening more frequently .

I would have fought it out on any other day. That day I was on a visit to the hospital to see my aunt and I would have missed the visiting hours if I had not paid up.

I paid the fine not because I had committed an offence, but because I wanted to deny the cop of his bribe. You should have looked at his face when I agreed to pay up instead of just bribe him.