Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2005, 11:18   #1
BHPian

Another horrific crash

Another horrifying accident on marine drive near A road ... you can see a broken divider... well yesterday one of my friend was driving his accord ... on marine drive... the road was totally empty .. he overtook a car and was driving at 110 km/hr ... and suddenly his tyre burst and the car spun around 8 times and crashed in to a pole and broke the divider ... the drive has hurt his leg a bit while other three in the car are safe ... its a good thing that no one is injured ... and no fatal wounds to any one .. but the mental trauma always persists

what was the reason the tyre burst at 110 km/hr i mean accord is supposed to be a safe car... he wasnt even speedin at 150 or 160 ... the car is totaly wrecked ... cant expect a tyre burst from an accord..

Last edited by cheatingdeath : 8th April 2005 at 11:28.
Old 8th April 2005, 11:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well, firstly it's good to hear that this was not a fatal accident and that your friends are physically alright. The mental scars always take longer to heal.

About the tyre blow out, there can be a variety of reasons for this. It may have been caused by some sharp object on the road or something similar. It happened to me recently as well, but luckily I was not going fast.

The fact that nothing happend to the occupants of the car is testimony to the fact that the Accord is indeed a safe car.
Old 8th April 2005, 11:26   #3
BHPian

oh thanks moderator .... that was actually misleading..sorry
Old 8th April 2005, 11:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

everytime i hear i hear about a blown up tyre it scares me even more !
anyways glad to know that your everyone in the car is ok .

manson .
Old 8th April 2005, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Good to hear that all are safe man.. When i read fatal, i though oh god no.. Seriously change the thread name..

When ever u hear such stuff, it just gives every other guy driving around that u never know when such things would happento u.. So be very careful guys, not every time its because of our faults but atleast be on the safe side.. Do our bit and rest will follow..

_Drive safe fellas_
Old 8th April 2005, 11:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Every knock that our tyre receives on a pothole increases our probability of a blow out
Old 8th April 2005, 11:47   #7
BHPian

sorry guys really sorry about the title ..
Old 8th April 2005, 11:50   #8
BHPian

yup saw the crash abt 3 min after it took place.....was travelling from churchgate to chowpatty...everything was nice and peaceful that time...took a u- turn at wilson college and came back and see a beautiful white accord in a mess....rear bumper on the road...tyres off the rims...smoke from the radiator...from what i saw it looked like someone had hit it from the rear and the car had spun a couple of times as the tires were off the rims but as "cheatingdeath" mentioned it was a blowout...didnt see anyone hurt but saw a guy sitting on the divider looking pretty shaken up...
drive safe guys.
Old 8th April 2005, 13:59   #9
BHPian

pardon me if its too stupid a question to ask... but
- were these tyres tubeless and if not.. would tubless tyres have prevented such a blow out..... and if these were tubeless (considering its a honda accord we are referring to.... then WHY AT ALL GO IN FOR TUBELESS???
Old 8th April 2005, 15:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The accords tyres are bridgestone turanzas and are tube tyres.
Good to hear that there there were no injuries.
Old 9th April 2005, 10:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid
and if these were tubeless .... then WHY AT ALL GO IN FOR TUBELESS???
Simply because it reduces the likelyhood of a blowout like this. However there is no saying that it will never happen even with tubeless tires.

cya
R
Old 9th April 2005, 11:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

A tyre is a tyre, be it on a M800 or on an F1 car. Even though i've upgraded to a far superior tyre, i still treat it with care.

A regular pressure check is a must and everytime you rotate your tyres, don't just remove them and put them back, do a detailed survey of the sidewalls as there might be a bubble or a light crack which can cause the tyre to burst, even at low speeds.

Make sure you don't rip your car on broken surfaces, unless you have the right type of tyres.

And the biggest mistake people do is, judge a tyres pressure by just looking at it. Never do that!!! Even a drop of 3-4psi will not bring any physical change to the tyres. Always get them checked by a reputed pressure gauge and try and stick to the same pump, when ever possible.

Shan2nu
Old 9th April 2005, 11:15   #13
BANNED

Good to know there were no injuries
Having said that.... your "FRIEND" was racing down marine drive with a CRV driver that cut him off BIG TIME... which caused him to hit a divider and ROLL the car several times... it was NOT A TIRE BLOW OUT.... so tell him cut the bullhickey he is laying out so thick
Old 9th April 2005, 11:46   #14
BHPian

was it cause ... this happened at 230 am and he is a far friend of mine we have a common friend ... tats wahat my common friend told me ...... ne wayz how do u know abt it .. were you the crv guy

Note from Moderator: Please refrain from using slang and chat lingo on the board.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th April 2005 at 13:56.
Old 9th April 2005, 12:56   #15
BHPian

i think the accident took place much earlier ... between 12 & 1 am
and any speed's above above 70 kmph on that strecth of marine drive uptil the flyover is just asking for trouble ........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks