Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has something similar happened to some one you know?
Yes 5 27.78%
No 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This is very scary. Though my windows are rolled down and I normally am aware of such things as this happening like mobile theft, briefcase lifting etc., I've not yet experienced, fortunately, till date nor any of my acquaintances. Thanks Sudev for sounding the alert. Will keep a solid small staff handy to take care of such goons.

After reading your post I'm seething with anger. What all tricks people resort to make easy money? Doors should be kept locked always. Aren't nowadays remote locks have a feature where in once you start the engine, all doors automatically lock? At least my 2004 Scorpio's remote lock system has this feature.

Unfortunately, the Honda City had a auto lock but then somehow the driver had opened the door (when the engine was on) and then subsequently the door did not get locked. As from now i have made sure that the doors are locked and been advising everyone else to do the same as well.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Have written this before and will repeat it here.

If you carry any bag in your car, either keep it in the boot or run the strap thru your seatbelt.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2008, 12:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly similar but something similar happened with my cousins in Nagpur. My cousin had habit of keeping mobile phone on the dash board. He usually sits in the front seat of Qualis along with driver.

My cousin gets too many calls from his clients etc as he is businessman there. Once they stopped in a square (Sitabuildi Square in Nagpur) waiting for red signal turn to green. Suddenly some young men came and took mobile from dash board and ran away. His windows were down when this happened. All of them were mere spectator and the person disappeared in small side roads. This all happened in few seconds, until they realized. They could not react on time and lost mobile phone worth 20K.

Lesson learned: If you are using mobile phones/gadgets just keep your windows rolled up at least in squares when there is red light.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:50   #19
BHPian

Another scam that was popular in the 90s and well into the 2000s is the false "engine on fire" scam. After a working day sometime in 2005, I was travelling back home from Andheri (E) and approaching Saki Naka. As Mumbai T-BHPians know, this signal is always jam packed. About 6 to 8 guys were standing one after another on the pavement, but well-disguised as not being together. One after another, they were all pointing to my bonnet uttering "aag lagi hai." When you don't expect such a thing and "strangers" on the road are warning you of fire under your bonnet, you do tend to panic. In addition, my female colleague got jittery and was ready to jump out of the car on just hearing "fire." As soon as I rolled down my windows, these "helpful" strangers adviced me to turn off the engine and put the car on neutral. They even pushed the car to the side of the road. I was aware of mobiles being flicked from cars and hence rolled up all windows and locked the car before getting out to check what happened. No sooner than I got out, a man pretending to be a "mechanic" turned up and offered to check the engine. Now, I got very suspicious and told him to stay away from the car. I told him I'll call up Maruti Service who'd tow the car if necessary. After the crowd had dispersed, I open my bonnet to see everything normal as ever. I had to try hard to convince my colleague that the car is safe and it was just a money-making scam! Soon, we drove off after checking our belongings and thanking God for giving us the presence of mind to not fall for this.

Not heard of this scam after that. However, charsi/gardulla's are hurling stones and setting cars on fire, as it did happen to me. The incident is described here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...home-fire.html

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 24th November 2008 at 12:53.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:51   #20
BHPian

Re: Rebirth of old scam (Strange incident)

I was driving to office today. Stopped at a signal. A guy on a Splendor comes stops next to me and asks me about my car, price and month of purchase. I answer his questions and start to move. He tells me to park at the side of the road so that "we may discuss". After having read SS-Traveller's ARTICLE: Common SCAMS Encountered on Indian Roads - A Compendium on scams two days ago, I was on my guard. I told him I was getting late to my office and moved on.

I don't know if this was a scam or if this guy "genuinely" wanted to discuss. The irony is: the showroom was just a kilometer away from the signal.

Last edited by Auswechseln : 11th August 2014 at 15:52. Reason: edit
Old 11th August 2014, 16:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
A guy on a Splendor comes stops next to me and asks me about my car, price and month of purchase. I answer his questions and start to move. I don't know if this was a scam or if this guy "genuinely" wanted to discuss. The irony is: the showroom was just a kilometer away from the signal.
Well, you never can know. It could be genuine and he may be wondering why you drove off. But better safe than sorry.

Next time, point such people to our website. They can get first hand info on all cars right here
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 16:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Another situation.
I was driving back home from office and stopped at one red light. A guy with a pillion (lady) on his bike stopped next to me and knocked on my window.
I lowered it a fraction. He asked me to help him , by taking the lady to AIIMS emergency - as she was unwell.
For one moment, I thought why not? But, there was still some nagging doubt in my mind about intention.
Why would such a person not park his bike somewhere close, and take this lady in one of the many autos?
Anyway - I told him, I have a different route to follow - and really cannot help.

For all I know, the lady could have got in the car and feigned molestation or rape! And I would be in a lot of trouble for no fault of mine.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 11th August 2014 at 17:23.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 17:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
-----------SNIP----------------
For all I know, the lady could have got in the car and feigned molestation or rape! And I would be in a lot of trouble for no fault of mine.
Ah! Tough decision to make- choosing between humanity and your own safety. Acts of some people have made simple things so complex. The lady may have been in a genuine problem, but agree with you that if the intentions were bad, you could have landed in a big trouble. I am leaning in your favour.

Last month, while I was riding my bike through the beaches of Bengal, one middle aged village lady who was walking with her husband (?) with a punctured bi-cycle, asked for a lift as she was visibly not comfortable. I sort of took that risk, as my friend was also following me on his bike and dropped the lady to her place which was on our way.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Ah! Tough decision to make- choosing between humanity and your own safety. Acts of some people have made simple things so complex. The lady may have been in a genuine problem, but agree with you that if the intentions were bad, you could have landed in a big trouble. I am leaning in your favour.

Last month, while I was riding my bike through the beaches of Bengal, one middle aged village lady who was walking with her husband (?) with a punctured bi-cycle, asked for a lift as she was visibly not comfortable. I sort of took that risk, as my friend was also following me on his bike and dropped the lady to her place which was on our way.
OT: But perhaps in the rural areas one can still go ahead and do a favour once in a while. I for one, was driving around rural Bishnupur, WB this June in my DL registered Innova. At one of our tea breaks - a half-dressed (read topless) young man approached me for a lift to the next village. The guy was probably curious to sit in a so-called "big" car and mustered up the courage to ask me. But he did not appear to have bad intentions. So I was happy to help him. Besides I had friends and family with me. We were more than sufficient man-power to overpower him in case of any issues.

Same cannot be said for his urban cousins - such is the complexity of life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks