Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 10:33   #1
BHPian

18 Car Stereos Stolen in One Night : Bangy

Bangalore Mirror - 18 car stereos stolen in one night, News - City,Bangalore Mirror=
Ulsoor residents, to be precise, 18 of them, were in for a shock on Sunday morning as their car stereos had been stolen the previous night.
David Slim, an advocate residing on Hanumaiah Reddy Road in Ulsoor, owns an Indica. Everyday, he used to park his car in front of his house like many other residents. But Saturday night was unusual for him as well as his neighbours who had parked their cars outside. They had a blissful sleep without having to worry about their cars, most of which were fitted with a central locking system that alerts them if anyone tries to fiddle with the car door. But the thieves had different ideas. Without making even a whimper of a noise. they escaped with 18 car stereos - all in one night.
Knowing that opening the car door would trigger the central locking system’s alarm, the thieves removed the rubber beading of the front and rear windows, sneaked inside, and removed the entire stereo, which costs thousands of rupees. After a successful attempt at stealing the stereo from David’s car, they applied the same technique to steal stereos from other cars.
Ulsoor police said the same gang is behind all these incidents. The gang did not stop at 18. They committed the 19th stereo robbery in Indiranagar, in the same manner, in the early hours of Monday. All the victims have lodged a complaint with the Ulsoor police station.

Could this be avoided someway or the other ?
Old 26th November 2008, 10:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get a motion or touch sensor based alarm system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

Could this be avoided someway or the other ?
Old 26th November 2008, 10:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the thief decided to have his 15 minutes of fame as well.

Wont be too difficult to catch him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
That could be a nuisance as well.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 26th November 2008 at 10:48.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Motion Sensors are the best.Even you insert an arm inside the car,the buzzer will start ringing and also ensure you have a piercing alarm rather than soft ones.
I know this would distrub the neighbours,but its the only way to arrest this malice.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

or detatch the HU's face plate when leaving the car unattended !

my alpine HU is insured , and if it gets stolen, The warranty card states that they'll send me a whole HU if i send them the face plate !

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th November 2008 at 10:53.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:52   #6
BHPian

This is a very disturbing news. My friends are also staying in the same area and many of them park thier cars outside.

Can somebody give the specific model numbers of the security systems which can detect these kind of break-in?
Old 26th November 2008, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Similar incident happened at BTM layout around 10 years ago. But the number of cars affected were'nt this high, it was around 6 or 7.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
Can somebody give the specific model numbers of the security systems which can detect these kind of break-in?
Radio Shack carry a whole range of security products.
This one might be all that is needed: RadioShack IR Photo Relay Alarm (490-0310)
Old 26th November 2008, 11:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That could be a nuisance as well.
All it takes is a car with a aftermarket end can to set this off. Every time I start the car in my apartment basement and simply rev' it once I hear about 4/5 cars going beep beep beep .
Old 26th November 2008, 12:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

diwali would also be such an occasion. the crackers themselves are bad enough, but the alarms going off...

anybody seen Noise (2007/II) ?
Old 26th November 2008, 12:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

There needs to be a security product that targets ICE. It should have a sensor for detecting presence of ICE components and shout if anything is missing.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:13   #12
Team-BHP Support

The best security is simple security.
For example, rig up a high DB siren in such a way, that HU presses a simple switch to off option. When thief pulls out the HU, the switch goes in on position and you have a high pitched siren.
Very simple and easy to do.
Motion sensors are a nuisance, and during diwali half the cars in our apartment were screaming late into the night.
Other than that removing HU plate when parking at a dangerous place is another good option.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
All it takes is a car with a aftermarket end can to set this off. Every time I start the car in my apartment basement and simply rev' it once I hear about 4/5 cars going beep beep beep .
Agree, touch sensitive one's shouldnt be a problem. But best practice is to keep the HU at home.
Old 26th November 2008, 13:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Few questions...
1. Removing the HU front plate, does that render the rest of the unit useless for the thief? Can he not after removing the rest of the part get just the front plate from the market?
2. Integrated HU's to the dashboard, are they less prone to theft? Or can they be also stolen?
Old 26th November 2008, 13:16   #15
BHPian

Reminds of my own experience in Pune 3 years back.
One particular night the music system of 12 cars including mine were stolen.But my car was parked inside my apartment(Single block apartment).

Even then the car doors were not touched.But the window's were broken for all 12 cars.I stayed in 3rd floor and didnt hear the noise.No body for that matter heard anything.

I lost my Sony Xplod along with my Rayban sun glasses.

Most Viewed