Team-BHP - 18 Car Stereos Stolen in One Night : Bangy
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   18 Car Stereos Stolen in One Night : Bangy (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/49658-18-car-stereos-stolen-one-night-bangy.html)

Bangalore Mirror - 18 car stereos stolen in one night, News - City,Bangalore Mirror=
Ulsoor residents, to be precise, 18 of them, were in for a shock on Sunday morning as their car stereos had been stolen the previous night.
David Slim, an advocate residing on Hanumaiah Reddy Road in Ulsoor, owns an Indica. Everyday, he used to park his car in front of his house like many other residents. But Saturday night was unusual for him as well as his neighbours who had parked their cars outside. They had a blissful sleep without having to worry about their cars, most of which were fitted with a central locking system that alerts them if anyone tries to fiddle with the car door. But the thieves had different ideas. Without making even a whimper of a noise. they escaped with 18 car stereos - all in one night.
Knowing that opening the car door would trigger the central locking system’s alarm, the thieves removed the rubber beading of the front and rear windows, sneaked inside, and removed the entire stereo, which costs thousands of rupees. After a successful attempt at stealing the stereo from David’s car, they applied the same technique to steal stereos from other cars.
Ulsoor police said the same gang is behind all these incidents. The gang did not stop at 18. They committed the 19th stereo robbery in Indiranagar, in the same manner, in the early hours of Monday. All the victims have lodged a complaint with the Ulsoor police station.

Could this be avoided someway or the other ?

Get a motion or touch sensor based alarm system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 1068529)

Could this be avoided someway or the other ?

Looks like the thief decided to have his 15 minutes of fame as well. :)

Wont be too difficult to catch him though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 1068537)

That could be a nuisance as well.

Yeah Motion Sensors are the best.Even you insert an arm inside the car,the buzzer will start ringing and also ensure you have a piercing alarm rather than soft ones.
I know this would distrub the neighbours,but its the only way to arrest this malice.

or detatch the HU's face plate when leaving the car unattended !

my alpine HU is insured , and if it gets stolen, The warranty card states that they'll send me a whole HU if i send them the face plate !

This is a very disturbing news. My friends are also staying in the same area and many of them park thier cars outside.

Can somebody give the specific model numbers of the security systems which can detect these kind of break-in?

Similar incident happened at BTM layout around 10 years ago. But the number of cars affected were'nt this high, it was around 6 or 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swifty2008 (Post 1068561)
Can somebody give the specific model numbers of the security systems which can detect these kind of break-in?

Radio Shack carry a whole range of security products.
This one might be all that is needed: RadioShack IR Photo Relay Alarm (490-0310)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 1068537)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1068547)
That could be a nuisance as well.

All it takes is a car with a aftermarket end can to set this off. Every time I start the car in my apartment basement and simply rev' it once I hear about 4/5 cars going beep beep beep :D .

diwali would also be such an occasion. the crackers themselves are bad enough, but the alarms going off...

anybody seen Noise (2007/II) ?

There needs to be a security product that targets ICE. It should have a sensor for detecting presence of ICE components and shout if anything is missing.

The best security is simple security.
For example, rig up a high DB siren in such a way, that HU presses a simple switch to off option. When thief pulls out the HU, the switch goes in on position and you have a high pitched siren.
Very simple and easy to do.
Motion sensors are a nuisance, and during diwali half the cars in our apartment were screaming late into the night.
Other than that removing HU plate when parking at a dangerous place is another good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 1068680)
All it takes is a car with a aftermarket end can to set this off. Every time I start the car in my apartment basement and simply rev' it once I hear about 4/5 cars going beep beep beep :D .

Agree, touch sensitive one's shouldnt be a problem. But best practice is to keep the HU at home.

Few questions...
1. Removing the HU front plate, does that render the rest of the unit useless for the thief? Can he not after removing the rest of the part get just the front plate from the market?
2. Integrated HU's to the dashboard, are they less prone to theft? Or can they be also stolen?

Reminds of my own experience in Pune 3 years back.
One particular night the music system of 12 cars including mine were stolen.But my car was parked inside my apartment(Single block apartment).

Even then the car doors were not touched.But the window's were broken for all 12 cars.I stayed in 3rd floor and didnt hear the noise.No body for that matter heard anything.

I lost my Sony Xplod along with my Rayban sun glasses.