Team-BHP - Long Drive Query
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Long Drive Query (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/49753-long-drive-query.html)

Hi Guys,

I am going for a long drive from Bangalore to Jog falls, we'll be leaving on Monday night, we'll be driving through the night. tueday night, we have a wedding to attend in Shimoga.

I though of taking my car for a routine checkup at Sagar Automobiles in Bangalore. There are charging me 200 bucks for it, I want to know if it is worth it. My car has run 12K.

Any advices are welcome..

Getting a check up done before the drive is a good idea. Make sure they check and top up all fluids (brake,engine oil, wind shield washer, coolant, etc). Get air checked in all 5 tyres and make sure u have all tools to change the tyre.
Have your wipers and light alignment checked too.
Have a good drive.
Cheers

Somesh, how old is your car? Most dealers make this checkup as complimentary, specially when you tell them this is your first long trip. Atleast, thats how it was for me. :) A free wash and cleaning was also included.

Usually check-ups are done free of cost by MASS.
Top-up your tank the previous night so you can start and drive off the next morning.
Keep enough water for drinking and some snacks. Carry a torch.
Have a safe drive. Do consider writting a travelogue once your are back.

somesh: From your post it seems that you are not too exposed to Long distance drives, I would suggest you take a professional opinion regarding the condition of the car (fluid levels, Brakes, Wheel balancing/Alignment etc.) depending on when these or the last service was done.

Remember that a simple thing such as an uneven wear and tear due to faulty Wheel alignment could eat away more than 200Rs. worth of tyres on a run of approx. 900 ~ 1000kms of your drive. Other than that lower fluid levels are a strict no-no for the life of the mechanicals and to boot a better brake helps in enjoying a peaceful drive.

Try some other MASS for a free checkup as suggested by a few of our members and they are right it is normally done FOC.

Somesh: Irrespective of however-much experienced a person is: for night driving, there are times when one feels tired. If there is any such thing, ensure you guys switch drivers or stop for a break. There is nothing wrong in admitting if one needs a break.

Have fun, night driving is a thrill on its own.cheers:
Have you finalised the route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1071816)
Somesh, how old is your car? Most dealers make this checkup as complimentary, specially when you tell them this is your first long trip. Atleast, thats how it was for me. :) A free wash and cleaning was also included.

Very true. When I drove from Blr to Nagpur (about 1200 km) non stop, before leaving the Ford guys did a free check up, inspite of the car being over 2.5 years old then.

Best for you to refer to Samurai's excellent article on Long Distance Preps. Thread closed.