Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 11:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Dung heating !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Repeated driving through cow dung will form a protective underbody layer and will seal and protect you vehicle underside....

Also, in winter this underbody coating of dung can be ignited to keep the occupants of the car very warm : dried cow dung is known to have high heat energy.
Old 1st December 2008, 12:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Repeated driving through cow dung will form a protective underbody layer and will seal and protect you vehicle underside. This will also provide better sound insulation. Do not wash it off as you will lose the benefits of cow dung underbody sealant.
hmmm, sound insulation. So one could try it as damping material for the doors and boot. Any swift owners want to try this to get rid of rattles?
Old 1st December 2008, 14:22   #48
BHPian

Hilarious thread. What an imagination for cow dung making a car sick :P
Old 1st December 2008, 14:29   #49
BHPian

Thank you, beautiful people, for all the responses! I now know,

a. Splatter variety is produced either by buffaloes, or cows with amoebiasis/milch feed

b. Dung is good for Damping/Sound Insulation

c. Dung is defenseless and I ruthlessly drove over it

Based on these facts, I have decided AGAINST an underbody wash in deference and honor towards my cowardly act. Will be splashing some After Shave instead.

Some of the responses inspired me to do a google search. Some nice facts:

1.The 2007 Ig Noble prize when to a Jap researcher who developed a method for extracting Vanillin (yes, used for Vanilla flavouring!) from cow dung. In 2006, someone extracted Gasoline out of it!

2.There are a couple of Cow Dung electric plants in Germany.

This is seriously making me think whether I should store up on the stuff…might fetch good returns some day.
Old 1st December 2008, 14:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Some food for thought on the specimen, from its usages ...........

1. Dung is a great fertilizer - may be useful to harvest small underbody plants, if the car is left too rest for long periods of time.

2. Heat source - cow dung is naturally hot - running pipes thru it to get running hot water inside the running car can be explored.

3. Purifier-natural antiseptic qualities, good for people driving thro. septic areas.

4. Floor coating - used mixed with mud and water on floors in mud houses. Improves water absorption of mud, keeps the car cold, if water is sprinkled, cool underchasis: result, cool car.

5. Mud brick additive - improves resistance to disintegration. Increased tensile strength from knocks and thuds to the underchasis.

6. Skin tonic - mixed with crushed neem leaves smeared on skin - good for boils and heat rash. So using this compound and scratching a leg / face on the underbody may beneneficial.

7. Smoke producer - smoldering cow patties keep away mosquitoes. Can also make smoked paneer over such smoke.

Holy smokes!!!!!!!!

Thus the underbody, if on fire, could be a mosquito coil.

8. Brass polisher - crome parts wouldl shine.

9. Its alkaline - useful too neutralize acid falls, acidic stuff on the underbelly, very useful in costal areas.

10, Mud brick additive: Dung + mud + lime becomes like cement, again adds strength to the underbody.

11. Pond PH balancer - thrown into pond neutralizes acid; taking the the car splattered with cow dung can have beneficial environmental impact.

12. Tooth polish - Wonder if polishing the tooth on the underbody is possible ???

13. Sun-dried organic recreational-aerodynamic-device = cow patty Frisbees: On a picnic, cow-dung coated mud flaps and such trinklets can come in handy.

14. Smoke from Cow-dung increases our eyelids to close & open many times, lots of tears from the eyes come out, thus it increases the vision of a person, some villagers can see even in old age !!!!!!!! So setting fire to the scrappings from the underchasis increases vision.

15. Religious Utility: ingredient in "panca gavya"; a lick of the underbody indicated here? Need to double test speceman before licking.

----
Old 1st December 2008, 14:42   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Skin tonic - mixed with crushed neem leaves smeared on skin - good for boils and heat rash.
Boss if you do apply buffalo-kukka all over your body, do take a picture for us. Then we can request the moderators to close this thread and we can all die in peace.
Old 1st December 2008, 14:49   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Ramky, thanks for that. I did get 13 more steps closer to enlightenment. Would have been 2 more, but for these two points which played spoil-sport : pls clarify these, they seem to contradict each other :

Quote:
ramkya1 : 2. Heat source - cow dung is naturally hot - running pipes thru it to get running hot water inside the running car can be explored.

4. ... Improves water absorption of mud, keeps the car cold, if water is sprinkled, cool underchasis: result, cool car.
Going by #2, if the dung is coated on the under-side of the car, the car should be warmer.
Old 1st December 2008, 14:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
An unfortunate incident - while lazily cruising at around 80 kmph, I noticed, a little too late, that the road was carpet bombed with cow dung. As my rotten luck would have it, ALL my four wheels made that sickening squish.
Had you screamed aloud "HOLY COW!!!" when getting squishy with the dung, your Swift would have been considered "blessed"! Try that next time.

PS: I cant believe i totally missed this thread!!

PPS: How do you know it was cow dung?? And not buffalo or bull ? Actually, nevermind. I dont really want to know.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Boss if you do apply buffalo-kukka all over your body, do take a picture for us. Then we can request the moderators to close this thread and we can all die in peace.
Pal, I didn't say that, that's an Ayurvedic addage. They recommend it as a medicine, if you go to the interior villages you would actually find it being used on the skin and all over the body.

So by that logic; this thread should be closed and ....... ?

Don't believe me? Google the word "Pancha gavya" and you may not want to share what you find

@ Condor: You have me stumped here!!!! Probable explanation is, when water is sprinkled, the heat is dissipated to make it into steam after which it would reamain very cool. If this logic does not wash, then we have to strike it off as, non-practival and illogical.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:12   #55
BHPian

Guys this tread is helarious

I have some thing to add. Now I have seen on Discovery that Bulls sniff on cow dung's / urin in order to check if cow is in heat or no. Imagine what would happen if the cow dung is from a cow who was in heat and a bull happens to sniff it.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Guys this tread is helarious

I have some thing to add. Now I have seen on Discovery that Bulls sniff on cow dung's / urin in order to check if cow is in heat or no. Imagine what would happen if the cow dung is from a cow who was in heat and a bull happens to sniff it.
Holy crap hanks tazmaan, i'm washing the underbody ASAP!
Old 1st December 2008, 16:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Holy crap hanks tazmaan, i'm washing the underbody ASAP!
Actually not to worry.

We have lots of dogs everywhere who just come and piss on the tyres and other exposed parts of the cars.

A sniffing bull is more likely to get confused or go after the dog itself, depending on his urgency

-------
Old 1st December 2008, 16:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG... then we will see a new thread:

Bull attack - harmful?

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st December 2008 at 16:13.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Actually not to worry.

We have lots of dogs everywhere who just come and piss on the tyres and other exposed parts of the cars.

A sniffing bull is more likely to get confused or go after the dog itself, depending on his urgency

-------
For the dog the car is a little too big but for decent sized bull the car might just be the right size lol.

@d_himan if this happens Dung Attack - Harmful? will become Dung Attack is Harmful.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tazmaan : Imagine what would happen if the cow dung is from a cow who was in heat and a bull happens to sniff it.
The car would then have some bull-power in addition to it's horse-power !!

Quote:
ramkya1 : A sniffing bull is more likely to get confused or go after the dog itself, depending on his urgency
A bull going after a dog (note- not a bitch) .. Now, that is a new one !!

Closed Thread

Most Viewed