Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 16:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Was the power steering not speed sensitive? Maybe this caused you to swerve more than what was required...
Old 8th December 2008, 16:31   #17
BHPian

Man, that was a nasty crash. Its god's grace that you have come out of it safely. Looks like oversteer caused the tumble. Glad to see that the car was able to withstand the crash well & hence protect you folks adequately.

Like someone mentioned, we shouldn't ever stretch the speeds beyond 80-90kms/hr in our kind of roads. I usually drive through the pothole instead of swerving around it at higher speeds.

And, I will wear my seat belt regularly from now on during the fast/long distance drives.

Everyone, Pl. drive safe
Old 8th December 2008, 16:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Was the power steering not speed sensitive? Maybe this caused you to swerve more than what was required...
Tejas... I really doubt that an Indigo CS has speed-sensitive power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
And yes, please let us know the spot of the pot hole. Thats a Indigo CS right? Seems new too. So sad to see its condition.
Car was less than 3 months old. The spot of the pothole was about 3-4 Kms out from a town called Murbagal (sp?) if you're driving from Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ghastly. I am impressed with the structural strength of the cage. I'm honestly not sure of the same for my VDi :(
Time to slow down myself on the expressway.
phamilyman, Ive got a Swift DDiS and an Ikon. I'm pretty sure neither one of them would have stood up as well as the Indigo did in an accident of this magnitude. And considering you're a family man () you need to be extra careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Thank god for being lucky to narrate that incident here in T-BHP.
Any minor injuries?
Thanks for posting to let people know the risk of sharp swerve at speeds above 100 KMPH. Its better to ride over the pothole and damage the suspensions
You're absolutely right. Swerving is the absolutely WORST thing you can do if you're travelling at high speeds. I've done a bit of rallying, and the first thing we were taught is 'If you see a pothole, a bump, or an animal, in your path and you're travelling at high speed, HIT IT. Do NOT swerve to avoid it.

Quite a few injuries, but given the magnitude of the accident (6 flips) all comparatively minor. Between the 3 passengers in the car, there were 2 hairline fractures, one dislocated shoulder, lots of stitches, one fractured collarbone that had to be operated on, one damaged scapula and arm that will be in a sling for another couple of weeks at least, and tons of bruises cuts and lacerations.
(Not counting some post-accident trauma and a few nightmares when we sleep ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
That was a bad one ghostrider and definitely you guys were all lucky to walk out of that mishap. Brother ! having a stock set of tyres (From the pics it looks so) and cruising @ 120KMPH, now thats a bad idea to ever hit that speed and no offence to your Pal's driving capability. Anyways, please be careful and thank heavens for walking out of this.
Thanks VJ. Stock tyres are always a bad idea at those speeds, I totally agree. Both my own cars have upgraded tubeless tyres, fatter rubber. But yeah, I agree with you man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Hope no major injuries to anyone!
How was the rescue mission after the crash? Thr Front bumper still looks very neat thou after the bonnet, papad look a like!
Some. Mentioned them earlier in this same post. The rescue mission was actually very impressive. Cops and ambulances were there within 10 minutes. I was extremely impressed. Turns out that this happened 3-4 km outside a town called Murbagal, which has the local medical college and govt. hospital for that particular district.
However, having said that, they were very poorly equipped both in terms of procedure and medical training and equipment. Still, cant complain, all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
You are very lucky to come out of that without injury. What is the total damage of the vehicle coming to. Is the vehicle repairable ?
Total write-off. Car was about 3 months old.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite a few injuries, but given the magnitude of the accident (6 flips) all comparatively minor. Between the 3 passengers in the car, there were 2 hairline fractures, one dislocated shoulder, lots of stitches, one fractured collarbone that had to be operated on, one damaged scapula and arm that will be in a sling for another couple of weeks at least, and tons of bruises cuts and lacerations.
(Not counting some post-accident trauma and a few nightmares when we sleep ).
Thats is bad. I never imagined such injuries. I was thinking you guys really made it without any injuries. Ok, I leave it here. Dont want to take it further. Have a quick heal.

Quote:
Total write-off. Car was about 3 months old.
So sad. :(
Old 8th December 2008, 17:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good of you to come out with your experience ghostrider. Not many would. You have been very lucky.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

That's a nasty tumble.
Get well soon all of you and I'm sure a lot of us will learn from incidents like these.
It's a pity about the handsome car though.

OT
It reminds me that it is in the same stretch that one of our member's Baleno too was involved in a similar crash at high speed.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 8th December 2008 at 17:14.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Providential escape man! Thank God you guys are relatively unscathed! Another Plus for the seat belt brigade.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thank heavens, all were on belts & could escape unscathed!
Also the car bore the brunt quite well.

That road (Blore - Kolar/Chitoor) is best avoided!
Old 8th December 2008, 21:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Thank heavens, all were on belts & could escape unscathed!
Also the car bore the brunt quite well.

That road (Blore - Kolar/Chitoor) is best avoided!
Couldn't agree with you more about the car... hats off to Tata build quality.
And yes, that road is definitely avoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Providential escape man! Thank God you guys are relatively unscathed! Another Plus for the seat belt brigade.
Totally. Things could have gone so badly wrong, but as you pointed out, e got off relatively unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Good of you to come out with your experience ghostrider. Not many would. You have been very lucky.
I know, esteem_lover. Not a lot of people can believe (me included) that we got off with such relatively minor injuries given the fact that the car flipped 6 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Thats is bad. I never imagined such injuries. I was thinking you guys really made it without any injuries. Ok, I leave it here. Dont want to take it further. Have a quick heal.
So sad. :(
Sad about the car, true... but we escaped mostly unharmed. Nothing a little time and rest won't fix....
Old 8th December 2008, 21:23   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The spot of the pothole was about 3-4 Kms out from a town called Murbagal (sp?) if you're driving from Bangalore.
That name is Mulbagal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
And yes, that road is definitely avoidable.
That road is now state's road (Karnataka/Andhrapradesh/Tamilnadu). After GQ got fully operational, nobody takes care of that road.

Thank god you're safe after that horrible thing.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:46   #26
BHPian

PRAISE "GOD" who saved your LIVES
Old 8th December 2008, 21:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
maybe EPS would have saved the day !
How EPS could have made any difference here?
Old 8th December 2008, 21:51   #28
Team-BHP Support

Ghostrider, amazing that you people got through that! However, what beats me is how the car could just topple/flip with a swift correction of the steerign wheel! I thought that was a SUV trait.

Hope the wounds heal soon, but the experience would sure last a lifetime.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:56   #29
BHPian

You are might lucky that you escaped from that. Thats a huge accident.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:57   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
That name is Mulbagal.
That road is now state's road (Karnataka/Andhrapradesh/Tamilnadu). After GQ got fully operational, nobody takes care of that road.

Thank god you're safe after that horrible thing.
Just 3 weeks ago:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1054231

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks