Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 10:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
When I was driving matiz, my usual speed on highway was about 90kmph(occasionally 100 when the streach was open). This went to 100 when I switched to NHC and 110 in Fusion. Now in Forester it goes to 120 even without realising.
with you with this new car's I also don't realize what is the speed.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:25   #47
BHPian

@Ghostrider: it is good to know that you came from this accident without a scratch. does this accident required FIR for insurance calm?
Old 9th December 2008, 10:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@Ghostrider: it is good to know that you came from this accident without a scratch. does this accident required FIR for insurance calm?
no not a rule.

Please go to insurance trend for the details.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:29   #49
BHPian

Holy Molly!!

You were really lucky to come out unscathed. That experience must have shaken you badly. Mental trauma can be the biggest enemy in your case.

Is the car beyond repair?
Old 9th December 2008, 11:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You're absolutely right. Swerving is the absolutely WORST thing you can do if you're travelling at high speeds. I've done a bit of rallying, and the first thing we were taught is 'If you see a pothole, a bump, or an animal, in your path and you're travelling at high speed, HIT IT. Do NOT swerve to avoid it.
Ghostrider, count your blessings man. That was nasty.

And the rest of us can sure take a lesson from this. Especially since swerving comes from pure instinct. It is in moments such as these where an informed, cool-headed decision can make all the difference.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Once I attempted to wear the seat belt sitting at the back seat and could not succeed i.e I do not know how to use it

Its very important to have a seperate thread dedicated at our advice section on importance of seat belts with quotes from our own forum. Also a pictorial description on "How to use seat belt for the back row" would help many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
@khan_sultan: Shahnawaz bhai doing high speeds of around 120KMPH on stock set is always dangerous (its not @ all advisable) as it completely negates effective control and overall stability of the vehicle and also if you have a flat tyre in a stock tubed one, it will completely throw the vehicle offtrack which does not quite happen in a tubeless tyres of high grade. This is based on my personal experience.
I too have the same question like Khan-Sultan. Why its not safer to do speeds in stock tyres?

I understand that it depends on the size of the tyre that the manufacturer provides. In case of Swift Vxi (165/80/R14), one complaint was 'Tiny" tyres to the size of the vehicle. Agreed.

Even with the Swift Zxi stock tyres, I see advices not to do high speeds. That means the comments were pointed towards the quality of the stock tyres (JK). Are they of such bad quality or ...? Please clarify

PS: Swift tyres are tubeless ones

Last edited by Surprise : 9th December 2008 at 14:37.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

stopping distance variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
@goandude
While it is safe to drive within limits, this 'safe limit' also varies from car to car as they have different levels of safety, stopping power, stability and overall control.
When I was driving matiz, my usual speed on highway was about 90kmph(occasionally 100 when the streach was open). This went to 100 when I switched to NHC and 110 in Fusion. Now in Forester it goes to 120 even without realising.
Guna, The stopping distance of your car has 4 components to it and of these only ONE is the abilty of your car's breaking capability. The others are your perception time, your reaction time, and your vehicle reaction time. Below is a graph showing how stopping distance increases EXPONENTIALLY with speed. ref Stopping distances for cars - Road Safety Authority Rules of the Road Please also see a table taken from STOPPINGDISTANCE where you can see the various car's stopping distance at 90 and 120 kmph. notice tha variation is MUCH more with speeds than with car models.

Last edited by goandude : 9th December 2008 at 17:06. Reason: table did not show as i had wanted it to.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:04   #53
BHPian

Thank your stars for having got off an accident of this magnitude with relatively less injuries. Will show this thread to my relatives/friends who don't wear seatbelts while seated at the rear.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Ghostrider, thank your stars! I'm glad you and your pals scraped through without major injuries.
I'm sorry about you car though. It is a testimony to Tata's build quality--going by the minimal damage visible.
As somebody already mentioned, all 'ghosts' on this forum are getting toppled!
Old 9th December 2008, 23:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

I always doubted the TML Build quality as they are more intent on cheaper cars but the Indigo did withstand the impact/roll well. I guess I have to change my opinion!

Wishing you and the others in the car a speedy recovery friend.
Old 10th December 2008, 12:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
You are seriously lucky to survive along with the other two passengers.
No offence, but then the correct method of driving is to go into the pothole unless it is very, very large, rather than swerving. Its better to break the rim and damage suspension or underbody than meeting with this near fatal crash. pothole is there.
I agree with you completely, in fact I said the very same thing in an earlier post on this thread. But... I wasn't driving. And in fairness to the driver, I'm not sure I wouldn't have swerved either.
It's very easy to be objective about the whole thing and say 'Never swerve, hit the obstacle'.
But when you're at the wheel, the first tendency is to swerve to avoid the obstacle. Trust me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Looking at the car like Indigo I can say that it was indeed a bad crash and now you might have learnt the importance of the tiny seat belt. It is the thin line between life and death.

Anyway if you were at 120kmph then you were overspeeding and swarving is dangerous. It is better to have bent rim than this.

Abhi
Agreed, we were going faster than we should have. We were probably cruising between 90-100 for most of the time, but for some reason we were going a little faster on this stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Holy Molly!!

You were really lucky to come out unscathed. That experience must have shaken you badly. Mental trauma can be the biggest enemy in your case.

Is the car beyond repair?
Totally beyond repair, it's a write-off. The cage is damaged, the chassis has had it, both the sides are pretty damaged including the pillars, the bonnet, all the fenders, one wheel got sheared off, and the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_bhp View Post
Thank your stars for having got off an accident of this magnitude with relatively less injuries. Will show this thread to my relatives/friends who don't wear seatbelts while seated at the rear.
Please do. People need to know. I'd feel good if someone learned from our experiences.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:32   #57
BHPian

You are very lucky to come out of that without injury
Old 11th December 2008, 17:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

The only person who has saved you is your own LUCK and nothing else.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Once I attempted to wear the seat belt sitting at the back seat and could not succeed i.e I do not know how to use it

Its very important to have a seperate thread dedicated at our advice section on importance of seat belts with quotes from our own forum. Also a pictorial description on "How to use seat belt for the back row" would help many of them.

I too have the same question like Khan-Sultan. Why its not safer to do speeds in stock tyres?

I understand that it depends on the size of the tyre that the manufacturer provides. In case of Swift Vxi (165/80/R14), one complaint was 'Tiny" tyres to the size of the vehicle. Agreed.

Even with the Swift Zxi stock tyres, I see advices not to do high speeds. That means the comments were pointed towards the quality of the stock tyres (JK). Are they of such bad quality or ...? Please clarify

PS: Swift tyres are tubeless ones
@Surprise: You have answered that in the post itself and definitely the Swift Vxi stock tyres are inadequately sized (Tiny as you mentioned). I am not sure which tyres does Tata vehicles come along with but the overall idea for any ride to have a tyre upgrade precisely is not only for looks but for better braking distances with better traction and handling capacity which is of prime importance.
The stock tyres that come can never match the likes Michelins and Bridgestones and doing high speeds with inadequately sized tyres is not a good idea and its better to stick to lower speeds.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
@Surprise: You have answered that in the post itself and definitely the Swift Vxi stock tyres are inadequately sized (Tiny as you mentioned). I am not sure which tyres does Tata vehicles come along with but the overall idea for any ride to have a tyre upgrade precisely is not only for looks but for better braking distances with better traction and handling capacity which is of prime importance.
The stock tyres that come can never match the likes Michelins and Bridgestones and doing high speeds with inadequately sized tyres is not a good idea and its better to stick to lower speeds.
Vxi part is understood, VJM. The question I raised is on Zxi part and please do not ask to provide the link to that statement . I have read lots of statements " BLAME IT ON STOCK TYRES" in our forum that clearly indicates that it applies to across segments.

Most Viewed