Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 19:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Keeping aside the stock tyre blame, the car flipping 6 times and all the folks coming out with minor scratches is indeed very lucky and thank heavens for that.

OT: Lost a friend in a similar accident while avoiding a dog and braking hard, when he accidentally pulled the hand brake and the 800 flipped 8 times leaving the driver dead.
Old 11th December 2008, 21:15   #62
BHPian

Hats off to TATA for having such good build quality.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:06   #63
BHPian

WOW, you guys are really lucky to come out of this with minimal damage, injuries will heal soon. Wishes are with you.

Lesson learnt - I always used insist that front row people need to wear seatbelt. Now I need to insist on rear-passengers also.
Old 13th December 2008, 20:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
OT: Lost a friend in a similar accident while avoiding a dog and braking hard, when he accidentally pulled the hand brake and the 800 flipped 8 times leaving the driver dead.
Bad thing. but pl explain how someone can "accidently" pull the hand brake?
Old 13th December 2008, 23:50   #65
BHPian

Its sheer luck all three escaped alive!!!
I always change the tyres ! first thing after puja to my vehicle will be a stopover at a tyre shop for a set of tubeless!!!!

Right from the day i started driving my dad used to say "If its not a human being then dont care about it ! look for your safety first!!!"
after seeing the pic i feel these words are golden words !!
Never look for a pothole or a dog or any hinderance ,just go ahead !!!

Had he not swevered he would have spoilt the suspension only !!
From the fotos the vehicles Cage seems to be good even afte 6 flips !
think the pothole would not have damaged the suspensions given the build quality!!
Old 14th December 2008, 00:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Bad thing. but pl explain how someone can "accidently" pull the hand brake?
In the process of stopping the car and in those quick reflex responses he had mistakenly pulled the handbrake and the car flipped totally out of balance in speeds of around 100Kmph. In such panic attack moments certain things are done inadvertently resulting in fatal errors.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:45   #67
BHPian

We should all be grateful that the three of you escaped alive after such a horrible accident.
IMHO This thread should be put up as a sticky to warn people that it's better to let your vehicle take damage that risk your life. This was one of the few things the person who taught me to drive drilled into my head. I have had occasion to be grateful.
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:50   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Vxi part is understood, VJM. The question I raised is on Zxi part and please do not ask to provide the link to that statement . I have read lots of statements " BLAME IT ON STOCK TYRES" in our forum that clearly indicates that it applies to across segments.
Surprise,
Not all stock tyres are inadequate. However, on lower segment cars (the Swift L and V variants being two of them) the tyres are wayyy too skinny, and they're not tubeless either. MUL (and other manufacturers in these segments) do this (a) to cut down on their own costs, and (b) to improve fuel economy.
Fatter tubeless tyres cost the manufacturer more per car and marginally reduce the fuel eco, but the upshot is that they will improve handling, improve grip, and not blow out at high speeds (unlike their tubed counterparts).
The Z variants of the Swift are marginally fatter than the L and V variants, and they're tubeless as well, so they're safer and will handle better (tread pattern and rubber compound also make a difference here).

To cut to the chase, I think the answer you're looking for is that skinny stock tyres make a smaller contact patch with the road, and will therefore lose grip more easily under duress. Features like ABS, EBD, and better quality tyres mitigate the chances of this happening.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:56   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Man thats scary!! Thank heavens all you guys escaped without any serious injuries. Lucky indeed.

EDIT: Seatbelts do save lives.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 22nd December 2008 at 21:58.
Old 26th December 2008, 21:59   #70
BHPian

i have a new found respect for tata's build quality. that roll cage took some serious beating and still came out tops!
Old 27th December 2008, 15:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalpipraiya View Post
i have a new found respect for tata's build quality. that roll cage took some serious beating and still came out tops!
I agree... the build quality's certainly commendable, and probably saved our lives (in conjunction with the seatbelts).

BUT... take a look at that windscreen.... its come away from the roof and the top edge is 2 inches away from where our faces would have been. It's a miracle none of us were decapitated.... this is something that Tata perhaps needs to look into.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:52   #72
BHPian

I don't know about Tata, but Volvo's XC90 has a boron steel-reinforced roof and a rollover sensor:
Old 29th December 2008, 21:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Man thats scary!! Thank heavens all you guys escaped without any serious injuries. Lucky indeed.

EDIT: Seatbelts do save lives.
So does common sense.

@ghostrider, Really, what was ur friend thinking when he took the needle beyond the 100mark? In most developed countries (I know of Australia), 100kmph is usually the speed limit. And this despite the fact that the roads are awesome and there is no cross-interference on the roads.

Seriously, how did ur friend think it is safe enough to drive at such high speeds on Indian roads? If it wasnt a pothole, it could very well have been a villager crossing the road. Ur friend was just pushing his luck, and urs as well.

Wearing seatbelts is one thing, using common sense would be more practical.

Prajwal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks