Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 00:02   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Anyone onwing i20 CRDI Sportz car here? I am little stunned here with respect to my i20 CRDI

The car's fuel tank capacity mentions 45 ltrs, I came across a surprise, when I fuelled my car FULL TANK to cap's brim levels (TOP UP), and the reading gave out 52 Ltrs. This was at BP Jayanagar in Bangalore.

This was surprising and thought the fuel station might have looted me and I just left with the bill. But, when the time came to fill up diesel full tank, same upto brim level at another BP station, this time in Bannerghatta Rd, Bangalore, again 50+ ltrs....This perplexed me. Since, I was driving down to Hyd, I wanted to check fuel efficiency and was in a hurry.

In Hyd, again when time came, i did full tank in HYD Jubilee Hills BP station (known for prompt fuel quality) again it filled 51+ ltrs upto BRIM level

Hence, I am very much confused.

PS: I do fuel the tank up when its almost empty.
Well, my friend has an i20 sportz petrol and he filled up about 51 litres in the tank. The tank was almost empty with just 1-1.25 litres in it.

PS : Mods sorry for the double post, I'm actually posting from my blackberry using opera mini browser so can't figure out how to add a quoted post while editing.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 09:41   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How much more fuel can a car take after Autocut?

I am using aCar on adroid, and these pump guys are completely messing up my reading by going past the cut-offs.
A couple of times they did this, and overfilled, and my average readings went from 10.7-11, to 9.5.
now I make it point to get out of the car, and tell them repeatedly not to0 push after the autocut.
Yeah, I know it doesnt make a real-world difference, only in the app, but it bothers me.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:05   #93
BHPian

Overfilling of Diesel - Scam

Hi all, I am posting this on behalf of My Close Relative who encountered the following while Filling Diesel recently at a Petrol Bunk in Mumbai

I drive up and down to office from navi mumbai to malad. 5 days a week.
I own a Toyota Etios GD(Diesel), the tank capacity is 45 ltrs.

In the past whenever the last point on the fuel indicator started to blink, I used to fill it up to the full.
and the diesel filled in used to be at aprrox 39.** ltrs.
this was the same for more than 2 petrol pumps, in Maharashtra and Goa.

but recently I filled up diesel in my car at Bhavani Auto Traders,
Indian Oil petrol pump, Dixant Bhanvan,
Powai lake road, Mumbai 400076. (first petrol pump while going towards jogeshwari on the JVLR Powai)

At this petrol pump they filled my tank with 46.15 ltrs, @ Rs.45.28/ltr and charged Rs.2090. when my car was on reserve

with at least 4 ltrs left in tank cause i had driven atlest 15kms after the blinking started.

On 03-APr-2012 I have filled it again when it was on reserve at same petrol pump, it again filled 45.72 ltrs. and charged

Rs. 2070.
This perticular petrol pump is atleast cheated me for 4 to 5 ltrs twice.

On 26-Apr-2012 I filled tank at another BP petrol pump which is near the enterance of Kamal Amrohi Studios, on JVLR road,

Mumbai, when it was in reserve, the blinker for reserve had started to blink at abt 100meters away from the petrol pump. it

filled only 39 ltrs. and charged Rs.1765 @ Rs.45.28/ltr. which as per the calculation of the max tank limit is very much OK.

I have still not talked to them(the cheaters) about it.
I have to talk to toyota to confirm if the tank capacity is indeed 45ltrs.If yes?

I will put up a compliant at the consumer court, or is there any other way to get this fraudsters to book?

or

Please suggest.

and avoid this pump.

Have posted the Scanned copy of Bills.

How much more fuel can a car take after Autocut?-scan.jpg

Note from Support: Post moved to this existing thread. Please search before creating new threads. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd May 2012 at 17:00. Reason: See note in post
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:12   #94
BHPian

Re: Overfilling of Diesel - Scam

It is posssible that they might be using the Air release switch, which actually results in more diesel going in. In my vento after the cut off, if you press this switch around 8 litres of diesel goes more.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:15   #95
BHPian

What is this air release switch? I was knowing only about the auto-cut off facility and that if you shake the vehicle a little more quantity of fuel can be filled.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

I had the same experience in my Punto, I have described it in the trusted pump in Bangalore thread. In fact my exerience was the same, at a level where only around 41 lts would go, they managed to put in 46, impossible, I avoid the pump now, raising a complaint will have the pump showing you the 5lts test, seems everyone knows how to scam after the first five litres.
Overfilling seems to be the next big thing for erstwhile regular shortchangers.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:21   #97
Senior - BHPian

That bill does not have your vehicle number, i think that is very important to prove that they filled more than the tested capacity of the tank.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:32   #98
Senior - BHPian

This is not something which is uncommon, i have reported this earlier in Shell petrol price thread, there are quiet a few pumps in Bangalore which manage to fill more petrol then the capacity of the tank and hence the overall bill comes to same amount if i fill at these petrol pumps or fill at Shell (That when Shell is 5 Rs more expensive).

Since then i have recorded these petrol pumps and started avoiding them completely, and if it happens to be Indian Oil i complain to one of my friend who is a quality guy at Indian Oil. I would suggest complain at the company's web site or their email address and avoid filling there at all cost.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 2nd May 2012 at 16:33.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:40   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Fastlove, avoid going to that petrol pump. They are known to be frauds. I had filled once during an emergency, but did not tank up, filled only for Rs.500. The Kamal Amrohi one is a good petrol pump.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:43   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
What is this air release switch? I was knowing only about the auto-cut off facility and that if you shake the vehicle a little more quantity of fuel can be filled.
There is switch in the Fuel Pipe near the opening. When pressed it releases the air from the tank and that makes space for more diesel. It does the same job as shaking the car . Now filling diesel for than the capacity sounds strange but in my case I guess Vento has a capacity of 55 litres. I have filled 60 litres. So I guess the manufacturers qoute capaicity till the Cut off point only.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:51   #101
Team-BHP Support

It is important to note how long they continued to fill fuel :
1) auto cut-off or
2) filling fuel up to the brim even after cut-off

After cut-off, there's plenty amount of fuel that goes in so you need to be sure about whether it was 1) or 2) before raising a complaint.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:54   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing to panic here! Issue discussed already in several threads. Newer cars can hold more than 5-7 litres in the pipe, in this condition even with some fuel in tank the car can take in more fuel than the manufacturer specified fuel tank size. Its a good practice to fill only till autocut.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd May 2012 at 17:01.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:05   #103
Senior - BHPian

Another way to check whether this is a scam or not, is to find the number of kilometers driven since the fill up. If it is the same when filled till the auto cut off point, then definitely it's worth complaining to the oil companies.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Another way to check whether this is a scam or not, is to find the number of kilometers driven since the fill up. If it is the same when filled till the auto cut off point, then definitely it's worth complaining to the oil companies.
+1 to that. This is a very valid point made. You can definately see how many Kms your car run. If you dont see any increase then you should definately take the mater further.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:35   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am using aCar on adroid, and these pump guys are completely messing up my reading by going past the cut-offs.
A couple of times they did this, and overfilled, and my average readings went from 10.7-11, to 9.5.
now I make it point to get out of the car, and tell them repeatedly not to0 push after the autocut.
You can avoid this by splitting the tank up into two parts (first one till auto cut and the top up goes as a partial refill after the tank up!). This would show the average details properly, but split the bills too, so some graphs / statistics (number of refills, for e.g.) may not look the way they should.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks