Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 20:36   #1
BHPian

How much more fuel can a car take after Autocut?

This BP petrol station named Ajeya Service Station, No 15, Ramamurthy Nagar Main Road, Banasawadi, Bangalore - 43(Near Banasawadi-ring road junction). They filled 45.31 Litres of Petrol in My Honda City CVT(2005), whose manual says the capacity is 42Liters.

I have been driving this car for more than three years now and I got suspicious and checked the manuals. That is how I came to know that the capacity is 42L.
I had already paid the money by the time I read through the manual.

I asked for the manager, he said come back when the owner is there.
I said, if Bharath Petrolium want to keep its 'maryada' intact, this is the chance, I am not coming back to the station again for meare 3 litres of petrol. He did not seem to care. He is an irresponsible employee who passes the buck to the owner.

Now I would like to do maximum damage to these guys me spending the least effort. How can I do that? Who is the authority I should complain to?
Other than police, of course.
I have the bill that is attached below.

--
iwg.
Attached Thumbnails
How much more fuel can a car take after Autocut?-bpbill45l.jpg  

Old 14th December 2008, 21:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did they stop filling with the auto cut off or did they try to top it to the brink and made it to overflow? In that case they can fill more than what the specified tank capacity is.

Another important thing here is, did you go there after the tank totally dried up? Unlikely, since you drove the car, which means 2-3 litres of petrol may be already present in the tank. Cars normally have 8-10 litres in the reserve left even after you get the low fuel signal on.

Last edited by Guna : 14th December 2008 at 21:28.
Old 14th December 2008, 21:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

It has happened to me too. Filled in 44 litres in NHC which has 42 litres capacity. I guess about 2 litres goes into the fuel pipe and the line which connects the tank to the engine. I think it is normal.Any comments from our experts?

Last edited by hrman : 14th December 2008 at 21:23.
Old 14th December 2008, 21:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

No reserve for most cars ?You can complain on BP regional Manager's Office.also iirc ,there is a toll free number for BP ,IOC etc.
Quote:
Dear Customer,

If you are facing any problems, please tell us. We're all ears. It's our privilege to welcome you. To talk to you. To understand you. To just keep in touch and resolve your problems pertaining to any aspect of our business. We have a 24X7 ‘Toll-free” number for you to call us even when on the move. We value your patronage & we welcome your feedback of our products/ services. We will try & resolve your complaint at the earliest. Our “Toll-free” number is 1800-22-2725.

In case you wish to write to our Senior Personnel or represent personally, you can do so at the addresses mentioned below:
Customer Grievance Cell
Shri A. K. Gupta
Du Parc Trinity,
7th Floor,
17, M. G. Road,
Bangalore 560 001
Tel. : 080 - 22975460
Fax : 080 - 22975481
Karnataka
3 - 4 p.m.
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited: Talk to us

Last edited by deepclutch : 14th December 2008 at 21:24.
Old 14th December 2008, 21:43   #5
BHPian

Police - Very bad option!!!
Also on your bill...it has the fuel quantity ..but does not have the make of your car or the registration number..even if you go legal..it would be difficult for you to prove it...

If you want to take this up with utmost conviction..
you can drop an e-mail from a fake account which cannot be traced to your physical address..to the BP authorities..are the company is to ensure Quality and Quantity of fuel...

You got to play very smart ..if you want to stay on top of these guys..

Check this link for consumer court ..
The Consumer Protection Act can work for you : Citizen Matters - 03 December 2007

1) You can also start a phone call with BP authorities..from a generic public phone..
Old 14th December 2008, 21:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think some must've gone in to the fuel line or maybe there is a reserve or something, did u go into the pump with an almost empty tank??

Also, i don't think u can do much with the bill because it has no reg number on it, they can claim they filled it into a bigger car!
Old 14th December 2008, 22:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

I once used to know a petrol pump owner and he had told me that unless a pump owner steals there is no way he can make money. Apparently the commissions are extremely low and the more you sell the less commission you get (as a percentage)!! This was a few years ago and I am not too sure if things have improved now. This low commission is one of the reasons why petrol pumps go on strike from time to time.
The fellow even wanted to show me how the quantity is stolen and how the meter is rigged etc but I was not interested.
Therefore we must accept that "all pumps without fail" steal petrol.
As a consumer you have certain rights like you can ask them to show you in a one litre can that their measure is correct (your rights are supposed to be displayed in the pump but they do it just before a company inspection and remove it after they are gone). But apparently they have a way around that too.
Complaining to the principal company may not yield much results because they are all aware of this problem. And if action has to be taken against one, it has to be taken against all.
So you have to curse your luck and accept it as a price of petrol in India.
Sudipto

PS: Not filling in the vehicle number on the bill would go against them in a court of law. They are supposed to do it in any case. If they have not they are guilty.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 14th December 2008 at 22:05.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:06   #8
BHPian

Were you completely empty before the fill up ?? I think its normal the fuel tank is 42 ltr but the entire fuel system can hold more !! even Autocar had this mentioned this once.

Maybe your incident is even more complicated !! Would appreciate some more details.
the measure is low so your car holds the exact amount but the figure is exaggerated.

Sometimes when fueling for the amount they deliberately drip the system to show the end fuel figure. Always keep your eyes glued to those numbers. I was once distracted by the employee but quickly noticed the sudden change from 383 to 500 Rs and it kept blinking !! I fought with them for my remaining quantity.

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 14th December 2008 at 22:10.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Therefore we must accept that "all pumps without fail" steal petrol.
]
they fill up some other things in tankers(sorry ,my knowledge is limited) ,before reaching pumps.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Naphtha is one. Sometimes kerosene. In worst cases water. My Hero Honda once stalled with water in the carb !!
Old 14th December 2008, 23:03   #11
BHPian

What ever it is atleast we need to complain this to BP Customer care.
Recently when there was a decrease of price my friend went to petrol pump in Hosur. But they was still taking the OLD(HIGH) price. And the excuse was the meter has not set yet
Old 14th December 2008, 23:40   #12
BHPian

Reliance gas pump after Alwaye towards Trichur in Kerala

I know Reliance are cheats but had no option but to fill gas in my Palio GTX as I had found rather late that my gas tank was near empty and I fill petrol only from select pumps in the city in Cochin which were far away. The said pump managed to fill in 34 liters of LPG in my torroid tank that can take in a maximum of 28 liters of LPG. I was in a hurry and hence could not think straight about bills and such and more over I already have a comsumer case regarding my Junkindica. Most pumps are cheats but I did rather have lesser quantity of fuel than have correct quantity of adulterated fuel. If you thought that LPG cannot be adulterated you will be in for a surprise as LPG is made of 2 fractions and one is cheaper than the other by a long margin and the cheaper one has less power as expected.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:19   #13
BANNED

In case of complaints with quantity in petrol pumps the options are:-

1. The customer complaints cell of the concerned marketing Company - IndianOil, Bharath Petroleum, HP, whatever.

2. The inspector of Weights and Measures in the concerned area. Enforcement of weights and measures is a state subject, so the exact name will be different - generally, look for some similar sounding name in the "state government" section of your local telephone directory. And most departments have web sites too.

While I am generally against anonymous complaints, (I personally give them very low priority but that is me and nature of my job), most govt. servants will have a good look and may actually take some follow up action.

But before you do anything, please search this forum; there is a thread about B'lore fuel pumps, please go through. I do recall people saying something about Honda cars taking in more than the specified capacity fuel.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Naphtha is one. Sometimes kerosene. In worst cases water. My Hero Honda once stalled with water in the carb !!
well.with water - they cant be blamed everytime.if the underground tank volume turns low ,you will get a dose of water which may have reached the tank "somehow" .I always leave a pump which is filling petroleum just then.not a few ,but many experience in monsoon ridden state.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ok let me tell you that you are not the only one.
In our 51 ltrs. Baleno tank, we have managed to put in 60 ltrs. This happened the first time we filled in fuel after taking in delivery of Baleno. We were to happy to have this " luxury " car and the pump attendant told my dad that these cars like City, Lancer, Accent and Baleno take in more fuel.
My dad's boss has G2HC and his tank did take in once 47 ltrs and more over regularly he fills in 45 ltrs fuel.

I was surprised to know both the facts. Tried writing email to both Maruti and Honda and both of the companies replied that the capacity is approximate and not accurate.
This was the reply back in early 2006.

I dont know if the norms are changed by government or even if some norms exist to give accurate quantity.

This tured out to be true for a couple of Baleno owners I had talk with and also for a few relative's cars like Lancer and G1HC, G2HC and diesel Innova.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks